Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vim line length...
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Vim line length... Post 302944889 by wisecracker on Saturday 23rd of May 2015 06:08:11 AM
Old 05-23-2015
Hi Don..

I am working on a shell script, Arbitrary Audio Waveform Generator. I created the audio file in pure text mode to check if there was any major degradation of a sampled 1 second audio signal compared to the original 8 bit binary version. Yes there was/is very minor degradation to the ear and obviously because there is less swing in the overall amplitude the output level is less. I considered that OK for this kids level project.

I therefore want an editor that is able to create very large flat text files and save without a newline at the end...

However I might create my own simple version and inlude a simple on window display of this waveform too at the same time as creating it. I don't know how hard this will be in shell scripting but I willing to attempt such an oddity.

Hi Jim...

There will be NO character values between 0 and 31 decimal and 127 to 255 inclusive, so no need for a hex editor, (I already have a hex editor on my desktop)...

Yeah I know, a strange requirement but my niche is creating simple measuring gear HW and writing code to suit. As my language of choice is *NIX bash scripting then I am going down that road...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim as command line editor

Here is my problem, I manage a SunOs 5.8 Server, vi is the default command line editor, I have a line on each users .kshrc profile as follows: export EDITOR=/bin/vi I want to use vim as the command line editor, the below line doesn't work export EDITOR=/bin/vim Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tony3101
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remember last visited line in vim

hi, I know we can do this; but dont know how.. I open a file using vim..browse thru it and then say :wq after reaching some line; The next time I open the same file, I want vim to position the cursor on the line where I left last time; anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spopuri
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

line completion in vim

how we achive line completion and word completion in vim editor? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to go previous line in vim

hi, suppose my cursor is on 15 th line in vim i want to go 105 th line and directly come to 15 line from there is any shot key in vim to come directly to previous line ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Characters at specific position in a line if the line is certain length

I've got a file that would have lines similar to: 12345678 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 23456781 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 34567812 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 45678123 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: replace a character in the middle of line

exmaple, i need to replace the number "5" from all lines below with "X"? What is the useful vim command that i can apply for.. ddpadsgg506xghssuyj ddpadsgag546xghssuys ddsadsgaag596xghssuy_te ddsadsgag506xghssuy_pe ddsadsgagc526xghssuys ddsads506ighssuys ddsadsgag506pghssuyk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 793589
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vim editor -> uncounted new line

Hi, I entered the following text in a new file through vim: "Four score and seven years ago" saved and exit. When I looked at the file size, it was 31B, although is supposed to be 30. I reedited the file (again with vim) to check for errors, but everything seemed fine. When I opened the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prostiiinet
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim copy line and paste at the beginning, middle, and end of another line

How would you do vim copy line and paste at the beginning, middle, and end of another line. I know yy copies the whole line and p pastes the whole line, but on its own separate line. Sometimes I would like to copy a line to the beginning, middle, or end of another line. I would think this would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line

Hi, I have a issue, I need to loop through a comma delimited file and check for the length which exceeds specified length , if Yes truncate the string. But my problem is , I do not have to check for all the fields and the field lenght is not same for all the fields. For ex: Say my line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
9 Replies
LE(1)							      General Commands Manual							     LE(1)

NAME
le - full screen text editor SYNOPSIS
le [options] filename DESCRIPTION
le is a text editor which offers wide range of capabilities with a simple interface. It has a pull down menu and a simple help system to get started. See KEYS section below to learn about key combinations. Among its features there are: various operations with stream and rectangular blocks, search and replace with full regular expressions, text formatting, undelete/uninsert, hex editing, tunable key sequences, tunable colors, tunable syntax highlighting. The editor currently supports only one loaded file at a time. KEYS
Here are some starting hints: F10 or C-n menu F1 help C-x exit (cancel) Arrows navigate In the editor the following key description is used: Key1-Key2 simultaneous key1 and key2 press Key1+Key2 sequential keys press Key1 | Key2 press Key1 OR Key2 ^Key Ctrl-Key ~Key Shift-Key ^~Key Ctrl-Shift-Key | Alt-Key Some of ^Fx, ~Fx, ^~Fx can be typed as ESC+Fx. The rest of key combinations can be seen in help, in menu and in the keyboard map (default one can be seen with le --dump-keymap). There is support for block filtering through an external program, a command output read-in, writing a block through a command. To read or write block from/to a command, use F4+R or F4+W and file name of the following format: ``|command args''. Filtering is achieved by F4+| followed by command name. STATUS LINE
On the status line you can see current line, column, the size of loaded file, the code of character under cursor, several one letter flags, file name, offset in bytes from the file beginning and percent position in the file. One letters flags are: * - modified; R - Russian keyboard (works only on certain terminals); I - insert, O - overstrike; A - autoindent; D - dos style line terminators (CR NL); U - undelete possible, u - uninsert possible; B - column block mode. TEXT PROTECTION
To prevent changes loss on crash, le regularly dumps the editing text, if changed, to ~/.le/tmp/FILENAME.PID , where FILENAME is the file name with slashes converted to underlines; PID is the process id of the editor process. When the editor gets a fatal signal, it also dumps the text, to ~/.le/tmp/DUMP-SIG-FILENAME.PID , where SIG is the signal number. OPTIONS
-r, --read-only Work as viewer, don't allow changes. If your system supports mmap(2), it will be used to get file contents to memory. -h, --hex-mode Start in hex mode --mmap Use mmap(2) to load file read-only. Can be used to view very large files or even devices. This implies -h. --mmap-rw Use mmap(2) to load file read-write in MAP_SHARED mode. Use with caution -- the changes go directly to file or disk, no undo. In this mode only replace can be used, but it allows editing of very large files or even devices. This implies -h. -b, --black-white Start in black & white mode -c, --color Start in color mode --dump-keymap Dump default keymap to stdout and exit --dump-colors Dump default color map to stdout and exit --version Print the version of LE and exit --help Print short description of options and exit FILES
DATADIR/colors ~/.le/colors DATADIR/colors-$TERM ~/.le/colors-$TERM Color palette description. Those files are sequentially read and color definitions in later files have higher precision. ~/.le/keymap-$TERM DATADIR/keymap-$TERM ~/.le/keymap DATADIR/keymap Key map descriptions. Only the first existing file is read. ~/.le/term-$TERM DATADIR/term-$TERM Terminal specific options. Only the first existing file is read. Use Options->Terminal menu to tune the options. ./.le.ini ~/.le/le.ini DATADIR/le.ini Options. Only the first existing file is read. Use menu Options to tune these. .le.syntax ~/.le/syntax DATADIR/syntax Syntax highlighting rules. Only the first existing file is read. There is no default built-in in the editor, so if those files are not present you won't see any syntax highlighting. ~/.le/mainmenu DATADIR/mainmenu Main editor menu. It has simple text format. Only the first existing file is read. ~/.le/history Various histories are saved here. Do not edit by hand. DATADIR is determined at compile time by configure script (pkgdatadir variable). By default it has value /usr/local/share/le. AUTHOR
The LE editor was written by Alexander V. Lukyanov <lav@yars.free.net>. 28 Sep 2000 LE(1)