Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is your favorite terminal? Post 302944828 by wisecracker on Friday 22nd of May 2015 11:09:11 AM
Old 05-22-2015
Hi rbatte1...

I've never had formal training in computer science, all self taught.
I retire in October, this year on my 65th birthday, are you that old? ;oD

However I actually liked the MS-DOS CLI on our ancient IBM XT of the very early 80s.

I especially got to grips with DEBUG.EXE and this is what I weened myself onto 80(88)(86) architecture assembly coding.

Hard going for a beginner to computer coding whose formal profession is an electronics engineer. It was a completely different mindset for me.

I know the MS-DOS prompt is not a UNIX style terminal but it did have its own __shell__ scripting style, much of which I have forgotten now...

However PowerShell is a different animal...

EDIT:

The AMIGA A1200 (New)Shell running 'ADE' the gcc suite and ksh has much the same capability as xterm...

Bazza...

Last edited by wisecracker; 05-22-2015 at 12:23 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite Xscreensaver?

Out of the 100s of screensavers in xscreensaver, what is your favorite? I think mine is definitely juggle. I can sit and watch that juggler forever. I haven't looked into the code, but it must be amazingly complex to deal with all that's going on. From the random throwing pattern, to the arm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
0 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Where Is Your Favorite Continent?

Where is your favorite continent to enjoy life? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
14 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Favorite UNIX-like OS for laptop

First, a hello to all of you out there. Quick introduction since I'm new here before I ask my question. I'm a Computer Science major who has an unnatural love of operating systems. :) In fact, I'm looking on building a new computer that will have enough RAM to let me have some fun with several VMs... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViperChief
7 Replies

4. AIX

What's your favorite AIX Error?

I've set up errpt to redirect to syslog and syslog to forward to our linux syslog server. So I get to play around the rest of the day breaking my labs. I've been filling file systems, tearing apart vhosts and unplugging cables - committing all sorts of heinous crimes. I'm not used to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HayekSplosives1
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What is your favorite TED talk?

The TED talk (Technology Entertainment Design) non-profit initiative started many years ago as a platform for sharing knowledge to a wide audience. Since 2006 the talks are available online under a Creative Commons license. There are now 1000+ TED talks from a wide range of subjects and I wanted to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
XTELL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XTELL(1)

NAME
xtell - sends a message to another computer running xtelld SYNOPSIS
xtell [-v] [user[:tty][@host[:port]]] [message] write user [tty] DESCRIPTION
How to use it: suppose you want to send a message to user gubas on computer trener.fsport.uniba.sk Just type: prompt:~% xtell gubas@trener.fsport.uniba.sk Hi To send multiple lines long message to user 7tokarova at computer pascal.fmph.uniba.sk, type prompt:~% xtell 7tokarova@pascal.fmph.uniba.sk Hi How are you today Please answer ^D in this case, finish sending messages with EOF (CTRL D) If you want to send message to user holik on local computer, you can do it either by typing: prompt:~% xtell holik@localhost Hi or simply: prompt:~% xtell holik Hi To send message to certain tty, append the tty to username, separated by colon: prompt:~% xtell stanys:ttyp2@reaktor.ip.fmph.uniba.sk 'Sveikas Tomai' will send message 'Sveikas Tomai' to user stanys on ttyp2 at computer reaktor.ip.fmph.uniba.sk To specify other port than the default 4224, append the port to computer name, separated by colon: prompt:~% xtell bosa@radon.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk:4000 'Ahoj' assumes the xtell daemon runs at computer radon on port 4000, and sends the message 'Ahoj' to user bosa. Option -v turns verbose mode on. Xtell will then display some messgaes about connecting, which is usefull especially when the connection is slow. Example: prompt:~% xtell -v rybar@dmpc.dbp.fmph.uniba.sk xtell invoked without parameters will ask user for username and host to send the message to. If the user has created in his/her/its home directory the file .xtell-log, and the file is writable by nobody, all messages will be written to this file as well as to the screen (handy when the screen is overwritten and you could not see the message). xtell checks the environmental variable XTELLPROMPT. If it exists, it is used as prompt for messages. Last notice: if you do not think zsh is the best shell, (besides doing a mistake) replace prompt:~% in above text with prompt:~$ or what- ever :-) AUTHOR
Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk) SEE ALSO
xtelld(8), write(1), talk(1), talkd(8), tty(1) BUGS
What happens to .xtell-log when two messages arrive simultaneously? There is no locking implemented. XTELL(1)