Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is your favorite terminal? Post 302944799 by rbatte1 on Friday 22nd of May 2015 04:35:38 AM
Old 05-22-2015
For a console, I've got a real IBM-3151 buried somewhere. It's our fall-back in case our Avocent Cyclades Server fails - which it never has. I think there is an HP console somewhere too, but haven't seen it for a few years now.

I did love the IBM-3270 terminals running through a Multiplexor (MUX) to room full of 3174s and two FEPs connected to IBM mainframes. Gosh, how old am I? Smilie

Robin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite Xscreensaver?

Out of the 100s of screensavers in xscreensaver, what is your favorite? I think mine is definitely juggle. I can sit and watch that juggler forever. I haven't looked into the code, but it must be amazingly complex to deal with all that's going on. From the random throwing pattern, to the arm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
0 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Where Is Your Favorite Continent?

Where is your favorite continent to enjoy life? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
14 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Favorite UNIX-like OS for laptop

First, a hello to all of you out there. Quick introduction since I'm new here before I ask my question. I'm a Computer Science major who has an unnatural love of operating systems. :) In fact, I'm looking on building a new computer that will have enough RAM to let me have some fun with several VMs... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViperChief
7 Replies

4. AIX

What's your favorite AIX Error?

I've set up errpt to redirect to syslog and syslog to forward to our linux syslog server. So I get to play around the rest of the day breaking my labs. I've been filling file systems, tearing apart vhosts and unplugging cables - committing all sorts of heinous crimes. I'm not used to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HayekSplosives1
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What is your favorite TED talk?

The TED talk (Technology Entertainment Design) non-profit initiative started many years ago as a platform for sharing knowledge to a wide audience. Since 2006 the talks are available online under a Creative Commons license. There are now 1000+ TED talks from a wide range of subjects and I wanted to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
IBM_HOSTS(5)							File Formats Manual						      IBM_HOSTS(5)

NAME
ibm_hosts - host database for x3270 and c3270 SYNOPSIS
/etc/ibm_hosts DESCRIPTION
The ibm_hosts file contains information regarding IBM hosts on the network. An IBM host is a host which can communicate with a 3270 termi- nal emulator such as x3270 or c3270. Each line defines a name in the following format (optional fields are shown in brackets): name type [opt:]...[luname@]hostname[:port] [actions] Items are separated by any number of blanks and/or TAB characters. A line beginning with # is taken as a comment (note that # anywhere else on a line does not indicate a comment). The name field is a mnemonic used to identify the host. The type field is a keyword that indicates the type of entry. The value primary means that the name will be included in host-selection menus that may be displayed by a 3270 emulator. The value alias means that the name will not be included in menus, but will still be accepted as valid input when a host name is required. The hostname field is the Internet hostname or dot-notation Internet address of the host. The hostname can include `s:' or `p:' prefixes, e.g., s:finicky (see the x3270(1) or c3270(1) man page sfor details). It can also include an LU name, separated by an `@' character, e.g., oddlu@bluehost. Finally, it can include a non-default port number, appended to the host- name with a colon `:' character, e.g., bluehost:97. (For compatability with earlier versions of x3270, the port can also be separated by a slash `/' character.) The optional actions field specifies actions to be taken once the connection is made and a data-entry field is defined. If the text looks like an action, e.g., PF(1), it is unmodified; otherwise it is taken as the parameter to the String() action. The actions are not intended for entering usernames and passwords; rather they provide an automated way of specifying a front-end menu option. EXAMPLE
Given the following ibm_hosts file: mvs primary mvs-host tso alias mvs-host mvs2 primary mvs-host:4012 vm primary vtam Tab() String(3) Enter() A 3270 emulator will display four names (mvs, mvs2, afhost and vm) on its hosts menu. The names mvs and tso will cause connections to the host mvs-host. The name mvs2 will also cause a connection to mvs-host, but to port 4012 rather than the emulator's default port (usually 23). The name vm will cause the 3270 emulator to connect to the host vtam (presumably some sort of host-selection front-end), enter the string `3' on the second data-entry field on the screen, and send the Enter AID sequence. FILES
/etc/ibm_hosts SEE ALSO
x3270(1), c3270(1) 25 August 2012 IBM_HOSTS(5)