Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk Post 302944785 by Scrutinizer on Friday 22nd of May 2015 12:18:41 AM
Old 05-22-2015
Another way of doing this is like this, which is perhaps a bit clearer:
Code:
awk '{gsub(/"/,q,$NF); gsub(r,"\"",$NF)}1' FS=, OFS=, q=\' r="^'|'$" file

Which replaces all the double quotes with single quotes and then changes the first and the last single quote in the last field back to double quotes..
The 1 means: the condition is true, no action was specified , so perform the default action, which is {print $0}

If you have single quotes in you input, then a third, intermediate character is needed that is not in your input. For this we can use any character that is not in your input. This example uses a newline character (which is equal to RS), which cannot be in the input, since awk is reading line by line and strips the newline.

Code:
awk '{gsub(/"/,RS,$NF); gsub(r,"\"",$NF); gsub(RS,q,$NF)}1' FS=, OFS=, q=\' r="^\n|\n$" file

With comma's inside double quotes this becomes more complicated, since you would need to combine with the earlier solution..

--
Edit: only just noted that in you original example comma's inside double quotes need to be converted to semicolons, but you already changed them, like you said..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-22-2015 at 01:40 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a single quote

Hi there I have a data file like so below 'A/1';'T100002';'T100002';'';'01/05/2004';'31/05/2004';'01/06/2004';'08/06/2004';'1.36';'16';'0.22';'0';'0';'1.58';'0';'0';'0';'0';'0';'0';'clientes\resumen\200405\resumen_T100002_T100002_1.pdf';'';'0001';'S';'20040501';'';'02';'0';'S';'N'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

single or double quote in SED

i m trying the following command but its not working: sed 's/find/\'replace\'/g' myFile but the sed enters into new line # sed 's/find/re\'place/g' myFile > I havn't any idea how to put single quote in my replace string. Your early help woud be appreciated. Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asami
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print single quote in awk

Hi all, It is a very stupid problem but I am not able to find a solution to it. I am using awk to get a column from a file and I want to get the output field in between single quotes. For example, Input.txt 123 abc 321 ddff 433 dfg ........ I want output file to be as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgoel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the string after certain # of double quote

Could you please help in unix scripting for below scenario... In my input file, there might be a chance of having a string ( Ex:"99999") after 5th double quote for each record. I need to replace it with a space. Ex : Input : "abcdef","12345","99999","0986"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a quote in some lines with multiple quote fields

i want to replace mistaken quotes in line starting with tag 300 and relocate the quote in the correct position so the input is 223;25 224;20100428064823;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;8;1;3;9697;18744;;;;;;;;;;;; 300;X;Event:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wradwan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing trailing space with single quote

Platform : RHEL 5.8 I want to end each line of this file with a single quote. $ cat hello.txt blueskies minnie mickey gravity snoopyAt VI editor's command mode, I have used the following command to replace the last character with a single quote. ~ ~ ~ :%s/$/'/gNow, the lines in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Double Quote in Double Quote incsv file

Hi All , We have source data file as csv file and since data could contain commas ,each attribute is quoted into double quotes.However problem is that some of the attributa data also contain double quotes which is converted to double double quote while creating csv file XLs data : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shalini Badal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: single quote match in If

Hello, I'd like to print line if column 5th doesn't match with exm. But to reach there I have to make sure I match single quote. I'm struggling to match that. I've input file like: Warning: Variants 'exm480340' and '5:137534453:G:C' have the same position. Warning: Variants 'exm480345'... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
9 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)