Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Sorting scientific numbers with sort Post 302944704 by plebs on Thursday 21st of May 2015 11:20:47 AM
Old 05-21-2015
I have the same version. "type sort" gave:

Quote:
sort is hashed (/usr/bin/sort)
Is there a way to re-install sort?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add/multiply numbers with scientific notation (2.343e-5)

Hi, I'm need to do some addition and multiplication of scientific nottaion numbers, in the form 34.23423e-10 for example. I was echoing the list of numbers to stdout, then using bc -l, then I find that this does not seem to work for numbers with exponential notation. Could someone help me out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chugger06
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting numbers with sort -n

Looking for help for sort, I learned that for sorting numbers I use: sort -n but it seems that that is not enough when you have numbers like 0.2000E+7 for example, sort -n will not worry about the E+7 part, and will just sort the numbers like 0.2000. Exapmle: cat example.txt .91000E+07... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting with header and mixed numerals (scientific and decimal) | awk

Assoc.txt CHR SNP BP A1 TEST NMISS OR STAT P 1 rs2980319 766985 A ADD 4154 1.024 0.1623 0.8711 1 rs2980319 766985 A AGECAT 4154 1.371 6.806 1.003e-11 1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting numbers containing symbols

hi all, i need help on sorting data. i have a file as below /home/oracle $ cat 234.txt +1234 -2356 -1001 +231 0023 -0987 +19000 65487 6 after sorting i want the output as below -2356 -1001 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh1987
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting files ending in numbers with "sort"

I have a group of files that I need to be sorted by number. I have tried to use the sort command without any luck. ls includes* includes1 includes10 includes11 includes12 includes2 includes3 includes4 includes5 includes6 includes7 includes8 includes9 I have tried ls includes*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting mixed numbers and letters

Hello, I have a file such as this: chr1 chr2 chr1 chr2 chr3 chr10 chr4 chr5 chrz chr1AI want to sort it, I use this command: sort -k1 -th -n testfilebut I get this output, how can I fix this? chr1 chr1 chr10 chr1A chr2 chr2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Sorting the numbers without using sort command

Hi, I've got two arrays 1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8 and i need to write a shell script to get the output 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 without using sort or bubble sort. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: web2moha
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Sorting numbers in a file

Hi Guys, Would appreciate some help on sorting numbers on a file using the sort command. I have tried this and it's not sorting properly. what am i missing? cat testing_sort 1:21 4:18 2:17 7:14 9:19 3:12 0:16 8:13 5:20 6:15 10:11 sort -t: -nk1,1 -nk2,2 testing_sort (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apollo
4 Replies
sort(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 sort(3pm)

NAME
sort - perl pragma to control sort() behaviour SYNOPSIS
use sort 'stable'; # guarantee stability use sort '_quicksort'; # use a quicksort algorithm use sort '_mergesort'; # use a mergesort algorithm use sort 'defaults'; # revert to default behavior no sort 'stable'; # stability not important use sort '_qsort'; # alias for quicksort my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current(); # identify prevailing algorithm } DESCRIPTION
With the "sort" pragma you can control the behaviour of the builtin "sort()" function. In Perl versions 5.6 and earlier the quicksort algorithm was used to implement "sort()", but in Perl 5.8 a mergesort algorithm was also made available, mainly to guarantee worst case O(N log N) behaviour: the worst case of quicksort is O(N**2). In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort defends against quadratic behaviour by shuffling large arrays before sorting. A stable sort means that for records that compare equal, the original input ordering is preserved. Mergesort is stable, quicksort is not. Stability will matter only if elements that compare equal can be distinguished in some other way. That means that simple numerical and lexical sorts do not profit from stability, since equal elements are indistinguishable. However, with a comparison such as { substr($a, 0, 3) cmp substr($b, 0, 3) } stability might matter because elements that compare equal on the first 3 characters may be distinguished based on subsequent characters. In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort can be stabilized, but doing so will add overhead, so it should only be done if it matters. The best algorithm depends on many things. On average, mergesort does fewer comparisons than quicksort, so it may be better when complicated comparison routines are used. Mergesort also takes advantage of pre-existing order, so it would be favored for using "sort()" to merge several sorted arrays. On the other hand, quicksort is often faster for small arrays, and on arrays of a few distinct values, repeated many times. You can force the choice of algorithm with this pragma, but this feels heavy-handed, so the subpragmas beginning with a "_" may not persist beyond Perl 5.8. The default algorithm is mergesort, which will be stable even if you do not explicitly demand it. But the stability of the default sort is a side-effect that could change in later versions. If stability is important, be sure to say so with a use sort 'stable'; The "no sort" pragma doesn't forbid what follows, it just leaves the choice open. Thus, after no sort qw(_mergesort stable); a mergesort, which happens to be stable, will be employed anyway. Note that no sort "_quicksort"; no sort "_mergesort"; have exactly the same effect, leaving the choice of sort algorithm open. CAVEATS
As of Perl 5.10, this pragma is lexically scoped and takes effect at compile time. In earlier versions its effect was global and took effect at run-time; the documentation suggested using "eval()" to change the behaviour: { eval 'use sort qw(defaults _quicksort)'; # force quicksort eval 'no sort "stable"'; # stability not wanted print sort::current . " "; @a = sort @b; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } { eval 'use sort qw(defaults stable)'; # force stability print sort::current . " "; @c = sort @d; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } Such code no longer has the desired effect, for two reasons. Firstly, the use of "eval()" means that the sorting algorithm is not changed until runtime, by which time it's too late to have any effect. Secondly, "sort::current" is also called at run-time, when in fact the compile-time value of "sort::current" is the one that matters. So now this code would be written: { use sort qw(defaults _quicksort); # force quicksort no sort "stable"; # stability not wanted my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current; } print "$current "; @a = sort @b; # Pragmas go out of scope at the end of the block } { use sort qw(defaults stable); # force stability my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current; } print "$current "; @c = sort @d; } perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 sort(3pm)