Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parallel replacement string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parallel replacement string Post 302944486 by Corona688 on Tuesday 19th of May 2015 03:43:39 PM
Old 05-19-2015
Can my.input.file be renamed to my.input ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Replacement with Perl

I want to replace a string within a file using perl. We have a line that gets commented out, and I want to replace that line now matter how it was commented out. for example, I'd want to replace ###ES=PR1A with ES=PR1A or ##LJW(9/16/26)ES=PR1A with ES=PR1A I tried: perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lindarella
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of string

Hi I have a text file which contains the following. AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD How can I replace all CCC with 888, with other contents inside the file remain unchange? Please advice Desired output: AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c0384
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi I am new to shell scripting but i manage to do some simple things. I am trying to replace a string in one file. I am using sed to replace but it is not permanently writing to the file, rather it is temporary. I want to know whether is there any another method to replace a string in a file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

I have one string string1=user/password:IP_ADDR:Directory I need to replace string1 value like store into string2 string2=user password:IP_ADDR:Directory i.e replace "/" character by '<space>' character But i wouldn't use any file in the meantime. Please help me......................... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with string replacement

I posted this issue a week or so ago and I still cant get the script to work. Here is what I have so far and what Im trying to do. #!/bin/ksh old="$1" new="$2" file=$3 grep $1 $3 > /dev/null if ;then cp $3 ${3}.bak sed "s/$1/$2/g" $3 > ${3}~ mv ${3}~ ${3} fithe script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordonheimer
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi All, I have below file which has data in below format. #$ | AB_100 | AB_300 ()| AB_4 @*(% | AB-789 i want o/p as below format. | AB_100 | AB_300 | AB_4 | AB-789 So here there is no standard format. How we can achieve the same in unix ? Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement.

Dear Friends, I want to replace following line with given line. It should grep/search following string in a file (input.txt) M/M SRNO: 000M/6200-0362498 COSMETIC PRO MALE FEMALE Once found it should replace it to following string. T_DLHNNO: 000M/6200-0362498 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi, I have a text file where all records come in one line (single line file), each record starts with 'BUCH' and ends with '@&' and if data is not there we get space instead. between '@&' and next record there might be some spaces, now I want to remove those spaces between '@&' and 'BUCH'. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maks475
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Replacement in a column

I have a text file with the following contents. I am trying to check the column "COL5". If the value is not "0" then I need to replace the value to NA only in COL5. The problem is that I don't have a clear delimiter here, I have only the column names. cat input.txt -08/27/14:08:30:01-- ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
5 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-q] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus ('+') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus ('-') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default start- ing location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -q Suppresses printing of headers when multiple files are being examined. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where XXX is the name of the file unless -q flag is specified. EXIT STATUS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e., ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
June 29, 2006 BSD