Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Replace C instructions for system calls Post 302944414 by CarloM on Tuesday 19th of May 2015 07:41:56 AM
Old 05-19-2015
The first place too look would be the man pages. System calls are in section 2 - e.g. man 2 alarm (or look on this web site - https://www.unix.com/man-page/linux/2/alarm/).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

7. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace C instructions for system calls

Hi! At first I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this post is correct in this place. I have a problem trying to change 2 C instructions for system calls. The code that I have is that: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <errno.h> #include... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearn
4 Replies
ALARM(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  ALARM(3)

NAME
alarm -- set signal timer alarm LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int alarm(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
This interface is made obsolete by setitimer(2). The alarm() function sets a timer to deliver the signal SIGALRM to the calling process seconds after the call to alarm(). If an alarm has already been set with alarm() but has not been delivered, another call to alarm() will supersede the prior call. The request alarm(0) voids the current alarm and the signal SIGALRM will not be delivered. The maximum number of seconds allowed is 2147483647. The return value of alarm() is the amount of time left on the timer from a previous call to alarm(). If no alarm is currently set, the return value is 0. If there is an error setting the timer, alarm() returns ((unsigned int) -1). SEE ALSO
setitimer(2), sigaction(2), sigsuspend(2), signal(3), sigvec(3), sleep(3), ualarm(3), usleep(3) STANDARDS
The alarm() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
An alarm() function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 19, 1994 BSD