Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Synaptic
Operating Systems Linux Debian Synaptic Post 302944155 by orange47 on Saturday 16th of May 2015 08:10:44 AM
Old 05-16-2015
I don't quite understand. Have you tried aptitude, its also very good?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

upgrading from ubuntu 710 gusty to the new release from synaptic ?

i notice when i was in the synaptic manage the other day that the new release KDE 4 was there can i upgrade from synaptic or do i need to download the files from a different source? currently running kubuntu 7.10 gusty and haven't seened any kind of updates come through that gave me the option to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksnovice
1 Replies

2. Linux

How to run User-mode Linux installed with synaptic package manager in Ubuntu 10.10

I have installed user-mode linux kernel in Ubuntu 10.10 with the help of Synaptic package manager. But I'm not getting how to run it. If we install it manually, we've to run it using the executable binary file. But here, I'm unable to locate any such file. Please help.... Thanking You.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitadeshmukh1
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to install from synaptic package manager

i am not able to install anything from package manager . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upvan111
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Debian Synaptic locked up after trying to install Dropbox

Hello, I am running LinuxCNC (Debian Wheezy), I tried to install Dropbox via Synaptic Package Manager, apparently Dropbox is a dead stick on that OS. Now Synaptic is unable to start with the following message: E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: awg
0 Replies
eatmydata(1)						      General Commands Manual						      eatmydata(1)

NAME
eatmydata - transparently disable fsync() and other data-to-disk synchronization calls SYNOPSIS
eatmydata [--] command [ command arguments ... ] DESCRIPTION
eatmydata runs a command in the environment where data-to-disk synchronization calls (like fsync(), fdatasync(), sync(), msync() and open() O_SYNC / O_DSYNC flags) have no effect. LD_PRELOAD library libeatmydata overrides respective C library calls with custom functions that don't trigger synchronization but return success nevertheless. You may use eatmydata in two ways. In normal mode, just execute eatmydata directly and pass a command-to-be-run and its arguments via com- mand line. In order to use symlink mode, create a symlink to /usr/bin/eatmydata with the filename (a.k.a basename) of another program in the PATH and execute eatmydata via that symlink. Then eatmydata will find that program in the PATH and run it in the libeatmydata environ- ment repassing all command line options. OPTIONS
Please note that eatmydata does not process any command line options in symlink mode. All command line options will be repassed to the underlying executable as-is. command The command to execute. It may be either a full path or the name of the command in PATH. In case command cannot be found in PATH, eatmydata will fail. command arguments Arbitrary number of arguments to pass to the command being executed. -- Optional command separator for compatibility with similar utilities. Ignored at the moment. EXAMPLES
Given PATH is /usr/bin and both /usr/bin/aptitude and /usr/bin/eatmydata are installed, the following: $ ln -s /usr/bin/eatmydata ./aptitude $ ./aptitude moo is equivalent to: $ eatmydata -- aptitude moo Therefore, you may use symlink mode to automatically run specific programs in the libeatmydata environment whenever you run them from PATH. For example, given standard PATH settings, just do: # ln -s /usr/bin/eatmydata /usr/local/bin/aptitude and enjoy sync-free aptitude system-wide. AUTHOR
The eatmydata wrapper around libeatmydata LD_PRELOAD library was written by Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org> November 2010 eatmydata(1)