Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Convert json to xml
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert json to xml Post 302944009 by Zaphod_B on Thursday 14th of May 2015 07:09:04 PM
Old 05-14-2015
Convert json to xml

Hello everyone,

I have created a workflow that will pull down data via a RESTful API in JSON, then my code parses and modifies said data. The problem I have is that these APIs I am working with only accept XML to PUT/POST data, and I am looking for an easy way to convert my JSON file to XML.

I did a search on the forums here and google searched a bit and did not find a solution to my problem yet. My preferred language is shell/bash, and while I did find some Python code that does this, my whole work flow is written in shell and uses jq.

Any ideas on how to convert a JSON file to XML in bash? I am hoping I don't have to build the XML on the fly and can just convert it.

I am working on OS X and Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 14 if that matters. My computer is a Mac that has several VMs of Linux running.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to convert XML to CSV

Apologies if this has already been covered in this site somewhere, I did try looking but without any success. I am new to the whole XML thing, very late starter, and have a requirement to convert an XML fiule to a CSV fomat. I am crrently working on a Solaris OS. Does anyone have any suggestions,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossingi_33
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert a html file to an .xml one

Hii every one. I have lots of .html files like: <html> <title> </title> <head> </head> <body> <ul id="SummaryRatings">4 stars </ul> <ul id="summaryList"> <p><b> Aurhor</b> </p> <p>wsfwfrfrtgretryetyrtyty</p> </ul> ...... ....... </body> </html> (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kheyali Mitra
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert XML to CSV format

Can any one give the idea on this, please. I have the following XML file and wants to convert into CSV(comma separated value) format. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?> <!DOCTYPE Waveset PUBLIC 'waveset.dtd' 'waveset.dtd'> <Waveset> <Object name='ra8736'> <Attribute name='ADDRESS'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar04
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk convert xml to csv

Hi, I have an xml file and I want to convert it with awk in to a csv file Test.xml <Worksheet ss:Name="Map1"> <Table ss:ExpandedColumnCount="2" ss:ExpandedRowCount="2" x:FullColumns="1" x:FullRows="1" ss:DefaultColumnWidth="60"> <Row> <Cell><Data... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: research3
6 Replies

5. Programming

[XQuery] How to Convert from JSON Message to XML Message with XQuery

Hi guys, I'm in a job of converting a restful webservice to soap. Tool for convertation uses XQuery. Now i need to convert a message like this: { "firstName": "John", "midName": null, "lastName": "Smith", "married": false, "address": { "streetAddress": "21 2nd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert xml to csv

I need to convert below xml code to csv. I searched other posts as well but this post (_https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/174417-extract-parse-xml-data-statistic-value-csv.html) gives "sed command garbled" error. As of now I have written a long script to do it, but can it be done with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshydv
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert xml to csv ?

I am in need of converting billions of XML into csv file to load data to DB, i have found the below code in perl but not sure why it's not working properly. CODE: #!/usr/bin/perl # Script to illustrate how to parse a simple XML file # and pick out all the values for a specific element, in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rspwilliam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX or Perl script to convert JSON to CSV

Is there a Unix or Perl script that converts JSON files to CSV or tab delimited format? We are running AIX 6.1. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warpmail
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert String to an Array using shell scripting in JSON file.

This is the sample json I have pasted here. I want all the IP address strings to be converted into an array. For example "10.38.32.202" has to be converted to everywhere in the JSON. There are multiple IPs in a JSON I am pasting one sample object from the JSON. But the IPs already in an Array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinshas1
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert any shell command output to JSON format?

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting, Need your help in creating a shell script which converts any unix command output to JSON format output. example: sample df -h command ouput : Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8.1G 4.0G 4.0G 50% /... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
13 Replies
XPath::Node(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    XPath::Node(3)

NAME
XML::XPath::Node - internal representation of a node API
The Node API aims to emulate DOM to some extent, however the API isn't quite compatible with DOM. This is to ease transition from XML::DOM programming to XML::XPath. Compatibility with DOM may arise once XML::DOM gets namespace support. new Creates a new node. See the sub-classes for parameters to pass to new(). getNodeType Returns one of ELEMENT_NODE, TEXT_NODE, COMMENT_NODE, ATTRIBUTE_NODE, PROCESSING_INSTRUCTION_NODE or NAMESPACE_NODE. UNKNOWN_NODE is returned if the sub-class doesn't implement getNodeType - but that means something is broken! The constants are exported by default from XML::XPath::Node. The constants have the same numeric value as the XML::DOM versions. getParentNode Returns the parent of this node, or undef if this is the root node. Note that the root node is the root node in terms of XPath - not the root element node. to_sax ( $handler | %handlers ) Generates sax calls to the handler or handlers. See the PerlSAX docs for details (not yet implemented correctly). MORE INFO
See the sub-classes for the meaning of the rest of the API: o XML::XPath::Node::Element o XML::XPath::Node::Attribute o XML::XPath::Node::Namespace o XML::XPath::Node::Text o XML::XPath::Node::Comment o XML::XPath::Node::PI perl v5.18.2 2003-01-26 XPath::Node(3)