Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX PowerVM/lpar creation problems Post 302943897 by dukessd on Wednesday 13th of May 2015 07:31:21 PM
Old 05-13-2015
Yup, you are doing it wrong and need more understanding.
We'll try again, as you are obviously not reading and or understanding all the doc's and links we point you to.
You'll need two scsi adapters, each with their own disks to make this work, and at the moment you have one scsi adapter with all the disks.
Each vios will need its own scsi adapter and disks to install to but you don't have that without being able to power up the expansion drawers.
You install vio, but it has all the disks and the only scsi adapter.
When you try to install the second vio there is nothing left because the first vio has all the disks.
When you shut down the first VIO then the other can see the scsi adapter and disks but they really belong to the first one.
You need the expansion drawers so that each VIO can have its own scsi adapter and its own disks to install to.
Read.......no point in keep playing if you don't understand the basics.
HTH

Last edited by dukessd; 05-13-2015 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: clarification, oh, and spelling ;)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

LPAR creation

can i get a step b syep explanation in creating LPAR... i have searched for tutorials i couldn't find the right one.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
2 Replies

2. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

3. AIX

PowerVM HA questions

hi guys, i need to develop following setup for a customer: high availability oracle database on aix7 and linux in 2 different LPAR using dual ps700 blande a ds3400 and HMC. the question is, it is possible to have automatic vioc failover(aix,linux) when for example 1 vios goes down? in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gullio23
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Package creation problems with Source files

Hi, I am creating "LSOF" solaris package from solaris "source" files. I have compiled the source file and with that i created prototype file also. Then using pkgmk command i can make the package . In the package i am having (pkginfo pkgmap reloc) two file and one directory respectively But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kathirvel G
3 Replies

5. AIX

Need IBM PowerVM

Hi all please give me a link for IBM PowerVM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
4 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Problems With User Creation Script

Hello everyone, I've been attempting to make a program which creates user accounts from a file which contains the usernames required. It also checks if the directory of the username exists in the C:\Users directory and then is going to give the option to delete the directory, or rename it, this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charlieabee
1 Replies

7. AIX

Some questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm

Some simple questions about Intellistation 285 and powervm. I want to learn AIX,so i will buy an used I285 from ebay. 1)Will support aix 7.1? 2)Is powervm avaliable?Where to download or buy it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
3 Replies

8. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies

9. AIX

PowerVM SEA etherchannel performance ?

Hello, POWER7 machine. 4 x 1Gbit port ethernet adapter is dedicated to vios. 8023ad etherchannel is created using those 4 ports. Etherchannel adapter is shared to lpars using SEA. If I test network performance directly from vios partition (using iperf) I'm geting nice 4Gbit throughput. But if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

10. AIX

Powervm ivm vios

Hello, After installing on P6 which is POWERVM IVM VIOS enabled (VET CODE D21C77ACD9229817CA1F00002C10004164 ) i get this message "I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted". HMC was connected to the machine then HMC was removed through ASMI Searching on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies
scsi_device(9S) 					    Data Structures for Drivers 					   scsi_device(9S)

NAME
scsi_device - SCSI device structure SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/scsi/scsi.h> INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). DESCRIPTION
The scsi_device structure stores common information about each SCSI logical unit, including pointers to areas that contain both generic and device specific information. There is one scsi_device structure for each logical unit attached to the system. The host adapter driver ini- tializes part of this structure prior to probe(9E) and destroys this structure after a probe failure or successful detach(9E). STRUCTURE MEMBERS
struct scsi_address sd_address; /* Routing information */ dev_info_t *sd_dev; /* Cross-reference */ /* to our dev_info_t */ kmutex_t sd_mutex; /* Mutex for this device */ struct scsi_inquiry *sd_inq; /* scsi_inquiry data structure */ struct scsi_extended_sense *sd_sense; /* Optional request */ /* sense buffer ptr */ caddr_t sd_private; /* Target drivers private data */ sd_address contains the routing information that the target driver normally copies into a scsi_pkt(9S) structure using the collection of makecom(9F) functions. The SCSA library routines use this information to determine which host adapter, SCSI bus, and target/logical unit number (lun) a command is intended for. This structure is initialized by the host adapter driver. sd_dev is a pointer to the corresponding dev_info structure. This pointer is initialized by the host adapter driver. sd_mutex is a mutual exclusion lock for this device. It is used to serialize access to a device. The host adapter driver initializes this mutex. See mutex(9F). sd_inq is initially NULL (zero). After executing scsi_probe(9F), this field contains the inquiry data associated with the particular device. sd_sense is initially NULL (zero). If the target driver wants to use this field for storing REQUEST SENSE data, it should allocate an scsi_extended_sense(9S) buffer and set this field to the address of this buffer. sd_private is reserved for the use of target drivers and should generally be used to point to target specific data structures. SEE ALSO
detach(9E), probe(9E), makecom(9F), mutex(9F), scsi_probe(9F), scsi_extended_sense(9S), scsi_pkt(9S) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 19 Feb 1993 scsi_device(9S)