Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange behavior of find and rm command Post 302943799 by ampsys on Wednesday 13th of May 2015 01:14:31 AM
Old 05-13-2015
I hate find I've found it be to FAIL so many more times than successful.

You'd see better speed (and shorter arguments) ls -1'ing to a temp file, grep'ing the tmp, then cleaning up.

Find is THAT slow and shi**y.

Last edited by rbatte1; 05-13-2015 at 09:13 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to ampsys For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behavior of find with xargs

Help me understand the right output. We have two machines. The first one is HP-UX machine1 B.11.00 U 9000/800 694339343 unlimited-user license The second one is AIX machine2 2 5 00067B2F4C00 with AIX version 5.2.0.0 Here is the command that I use on both systems on different... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
9 Replies

2. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Ubuntu strange behavior

It is so till login screen. I mean that when I boot my computer, Ubuntu shows a splash screen with mouse instead of Ubuntu logo and in the login screen it shows XUbuntu login screen... It began when I upgraded to previous kernel, I suppose, but I'm not sure... I can't say that it annoys me very... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

4. AIX

Strange memory behavior

Hello together, i have a strange memory behavior on a AIX 7.1 System, which i cannot explain. The Filesystem-Cache will not be grow up and drops often after few minutes. I know if a file was deleted, that the same segment in the FS-Cache will also be cleared. But i am not sure if this is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=XrAy=-
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Behavior of Find command

Centos 5.8 Lets say I have 2 nfs shares mounted to /folder1 and /folder2. If I do a find / -name *something* Will it also search the 2 nfs shares ? If so is there a way to avoid this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
2 Replies

6. AIX

Strange behavior with tar

I am trying to create an archive using tar. I am specifying a list of directories using the -L option. For testing purposes I created a simple directory structure: /backup/test /backup/test/test1 /backup/test/test2 The file specified by the -L option, named files.txt, contains:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: judykstra
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of grep

Hi All, I am facing a strange problem while grepping for a process. Here is the small script that i have written. It will look for any process running with the parameter passed to the script. If no process is running it should print appropriate message. $ cat t.ksh #!/bin/ksh set -x ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Ctrl+C behavior

Hello All, I have a strange issue. I've created a shell script which connects to RMAN (Oracle Recovery Manager) and executes full DB backup. I then executed this script with nohup and in the background: $ nohup my_script.sh > logfile.log 2>&1 &The issue is that when I tried to take a look into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange behavior from kill command

I am getting some strange behaviour from the kill command. When I run the which command it says it points to /usr/bin/kill. When I look at my PATH I have /usr/bin in it. So why does running kill or /usr/bin/kill produce different outputs? ghost ~ $ which kill /usr/bin/kill ghost ~ $ kill... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies
TV_GRAB_IT(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    TV_GRAB_IT(1p)

NAME
tv_grab_it - Grab TV listings for Italy. SYNOPSIS
tv_grab_it --help tv_grab_it [--config-file FILE] --configure tv_grab_it [--config-file FILE] [--output FILE] [--days N] [--offset N] [--quiet] [--slow] [--verbose] [--errors-in-xml] [--backend SITE1[,SITE2[,SITE3]]] [--cache-slow] DESCRIPTION
Output TV listings for several channels available in Italy. The grabber relies on parsing HTML so it might stop working at any time. The data comes from different backends. This is to minimize blackouts in case of site changes but also to extend the number of channels. If the grabber can't find the data with the first backend it will try the second one, and so on. You can specify your order of preference using the --backend option. Currently configured backends are (in default order): skylife - grabs data from www.skylife.it mtvit - grabs data from www.mtv.it boingtv - grabs data from www.boingtv.it sitcom1 - grabs data from www.sitcom1.it raisat - grabs data from www.risat.it raiit - grabs data from www.rai.it iris - grabs data from www.iris.it mediasetpremium - grabs data from www.mediasetpremium.it First run tv_grab_it --configure to choose which channels you want to download. Then running tv_grab_it with no arguments will output listings in XML format to standard output. --configure Prompt for which channels, and writes the configuration file. --config-file FILE Set the name of the configuration file, the default is ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_it.conf. This is the file written by --configure and read when grabbing. --gui OPTION Use this option to enable a graphical interface to be used. OPTION may be 'Tk', or left blank for the best available choice. Additional allowed values of OPTION are 'Term' for normal terminal output (default) and 'TermNoProgressBar' to disable the use of XMLTV::ProgressBar. --output FILE write to FILE rather than standard output. --days N Grab N days. The default is 7. --offset N Start N days in the future. The default is to start from today. --quiet Suppress the progress messages normally written to standard error. --slow Downloads more details (descriptions, actors...). This means downloading a new file for each programme, so it's off by default to save time. --cache-slow If you use the --cache option to speed up thing when you grab data several times a week, using this option you will cache only the --slow data, so you shouldn't miss changes in schedules. --verbose Prints out verbose information useful for debugging. --errors-in-xml Outputs warnings as programmes in the xml file, so that you can see errors in your favorite frontend in addition to the default STDERR. --backend Set the backend (or backends) to use. See the examples. --version Show the version of the grabber. --help Print a help message and exit. CAVEATS
If you use --quiet you should also use --errors-in-xml or you won't be warned about errors. Note also that, as opposed to previous versions, this grabber doesn't die if it cannot find any data, but returns an empty (or optionally containing just warnings) xml file instead. The backends' data quality differs a lot. For example, mytv was very basic, yet complete and uses the least amount of bandwith. Skytv has a lot of channels, but unless you use it with the --slow option the data is not very good (and in this case i would be VERY slow). wfactory is a good overall site if you don't need the whole sky package. EXAMPLES
tv_grab_it --backend mtvit --configure configures tv_grab_it using only the backend mtvit tv_grab_it --backend skylife,wfactory --days 1 grabs one day of data overiding the default order (could also be --backend skylife --backend wfactory) tv_grab_it --cache --slow --days 3 grabs the full data for the next three days using the default backend order and using a disk cache. RECOMMENDED USAGE
tv_grab_it --cache --slow --cache-slow --errors-in-xml SEE ALSO
xmltv. AUTHOR
Davide Chiarini, davide.chiarini@gmail.com you can find some more help at http://www.htpcpoint.it/forum/ perl v5.14.2 2012-06-30 TV_GRAB_IT(1p)