Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove or rename based on contents of file Post 302943743 by cmccabe on Tuesday 12th of May 2015 12:39:28 PM
Old 05-12-2015
Works great.... thank you Smilie.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

remove the contents of a file

Hi Let say a flat file contains 1000 lines. The cursor is at the 530 line number. Now I like to delete all the line at one ahot. how it can be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and use contents to rename another

Hello guys, thank God that I found this forum. I hope that someone can help me because I don't have any idea on how to start it. I know that for some of you this is a very simple task but I'm not as advance on shell scripting like many people out there. I got this file with a permanent... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shark Tek
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines based on contents of another file

So, this issue is driving me nuts! I was hoping to get a lending hand here... I have 2 files: file1.txt contains: this is example1 this is example2 this is example3 this is example4 this is example5 file2.txt contains: example3 example5 Basically, I need a script or command to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all digits and rename a file

Hi, I have a file nexus-1234 in a directory. I want to generate a random number and replace the 1234 with it and rename the file. So nexus-1234 becomes nexus-2863 after running the script. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparison based on contents

Hi I have 2 files 1.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 2.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1, 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 I need to compare the above two files in unix, as in the output should only tell the difference in contents as I should get only the line 1 ( from 2.del) , rest all lines are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ethen561
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a line based on contents of the first column?

Good day all. Using basic UNIX/Linux tools, how would you delete a line based on a character found in column 1? For example, if the CITY name contains an 'a' or 'A', delete the line: New York City; New York Los Angeles; California Chicago; Illinois Houston; Texas Philadelphia;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read contents in each file and rename the file?

Hello All, Can you help me in writing a script for reading the specific position data in a file and if that data found in that file that particular file should be renamed. Ex: Folder : C:\\test and Filename : CLSACK_112214.txt,CLSACK_112314.txt,CLSACK_112414.txt Contents in the file would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanduedi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove contents from file which are under bracket?

hello Friend, In hostgroup file, i have define lots of hostgroups. I need to remove few of them without manually editing file. Need script or syntax. I want to search particular on hostgroup_members and delete hostgoup defination of it. for example. define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename file in directory using contents within each file

In the below there are two generic .vcf files (genome.S1.vcf and genome.S2.vcf) in a directory. There wont always be two genaric files but I am trying to use bash to rename each of these generic files with specfic text (unique identifier) within in each .vcf. The text will always be different, but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)