Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX backup solutions
Operating Systems AIX AIX backup solutions Post 302943657 by bakunin on Monday 11th of May 2015 03:26:20 PM
Old 05-11-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierfek
I would like to find a way to just backup the datavg nightly. Ideally sending it to a mount on the linux server that gets backed up and sent offsite.
Now, this is a description we can make suggestions for. Investigate a "savevg datavg" (read the man page of "savevg" command for details) and use an NFS mount as target of the output. How much data are (roughly) involved? It might be a good idea to compress the resulting image somehow ("compress", "gzip", ...) before writing it to a share, but this is difficult to suggest given the sparse desccription of your surroundings: network bandwidth, data amounts involved, type of media involved, etc..

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX backup and restore

Hello, Some background so you can see what I'm trying to do on AIX: In Windows its possible to partition a single hard drive into 2 separate logical paritions which may appear as a C and a D drive. It is then possible to to use 3rd party software such as Power Quest Drive Image to create a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quickfirststep
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backup solutions

Hi guys, We are looking to replace our current backup solution - we currently backup our Progress databases (on SCO Unixware7) to DLT7000 tapes but that being old technology the failure rate is increasing and we need to replace them with a more reliable solution. We've been looking at SDLT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seraphic
2 Replies

3. SCO

Backup solutions

Hi guys, We are looking to replace our current backup solution - we currently backup our Progress databases (on SCO) to DLT7000 tapes but that being old technology the failure rate is increasing and we need to replace them with a more reliable solution. We've been looking at SDLT drives/tapes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seraphic
2 Replies

4. AIX

Backup solutions / TSM alternative?

Hey all, I've just about had it with Tivoli Storage Manager. I won't go into the what's and why's. Do any of you have suggestions for an alternative? We have around 70 linux clients and 10 AIX lpars. We mostly do incremental filesystem backups each night and have a 3494 tape library with 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cruiser
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help with AIX and backup command

:) Hi my name is Ricardo !!!! I am using backup command in order to backup a server which its running AIX operating system. But I want to backup more than one filesytem in my script, this script send my backup to /dev/rmt0 (tape drive). my trouble is that I donīt know how to tell my script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickie
1 Replies

6. AIX

backup on aix

Hello everyone I have a 3583 tape library on my Aix servers. (aix 5.3) Im install hypertape software for backup datebase, files, etc. I have a question. on my directory devices I have this rmt crw-rw-rwT 1 root system 42, 1 Jan 18 21:57 rmt1.1 crw-rw-rwT 1 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX script, help I'm just a backup!

Hello, I am trying to get the following Lawson command to work in an AIX script for a developer and I'm stumped, the Admin for this server is on vacation and I have very limited AIX scripting knowledge, I cannot seem to get this to work no matter what I try... lawcmp test900 ap HM500 This is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: j_aix
1 Replies

8. AIX

backup linux like aix

Hello everyone I need to backup some boxes with redhat enterprise for power. I was looking for software but I need to umount filesystems,etc,etc. I need a software that backup like I do with my aix boxes. mksysb command and thatīs it. Because I need to do online, with no umount fs. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
5 Replies

9. AIX

Backup software for AIX

Hello, Looking for some backup software for AIX , once tivoli is bit expensive , i'm searching for alternatives, do you guys have some experience with some other software? Cheers, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
6 Replies
MOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      MOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
mount.nfs, mount.nfs4 - mount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
mount.nfs remotetarget dir [-rvVwfnsh ] [-o options] DESCRIPTION
mount.nfs is a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. mount.nfs is meant to be used by the mount(8) command for mounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. remotetarget is a server share usually in the form of servername:/path/to/share. dir is the directory on which the file system is to be mounted. Under Linux 2.6.32 and later kernel versions, mount.nfs can mount all NFS file system versions. Under earlier Linux kernel versions, mount.nfs4 must be used for mounting NFSv4 file systems while mount.nfs must be used for NFSv3 and v2. OPTIONS
-r Mount file system readonly. -v Be verbose. -V Print version. -w Mount file system read-write. -f Fake mount. Don't actually call the mount system call. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip making an entry. -s Tolerate sloppy mount options rather than fail. -h Print help message. nfsoptions Refer to nfs(5) or mount(8) manual pages. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and mount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), mount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 5 Jun 2006 MOUNT.NFS(8)