Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting in groups
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting in groups Post 302943512 by Don Cragun on Saturday 9th of May 2015 07:05:44 AM
Old 05-09-2015
Assuming you don't care about preserving the hundreds of spaces at the ends of some of your input lines (since the spacing in your sample output lines does not match the spacing in your sample input lines), you could also try:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
while read a
do	read b
	read c
	printf '%s %s %s\n' "$a" "$b" "$c"
done < file | sort -n | while read a b c
do	printf '%s\n%s\n%s\n' "$a" "$b" "$c"
done

which strips off all of the trailing spaces.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

putty groups

Hi all, need info on using putty as group. I am having huge numbers of servers. (say 100) I am using putty to login remotely. i want to group each 25 hostnames or a set of servers into one putty instance. (see image attached.) Currently i have to scroll down to see all the 100 servers. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

groups starting with c2?

I have some groups and when i issue a command like groups $LOGNAME it displays in one line rfautosys c2ru cash2 I want to fetch only group starting with c2 but when i grep i am getting full line. Can someone advise on this please as how i can get output as c2ru? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

4. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

5. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Groups access

Hi all, Can someone tell me how I can get around this problem. Basically I use the HP-UX OS and I work with 2 top level directories. /z/group1 /z/group2 these 2 dirs are managed where group1 can only be access by one set of users and group2 another. This is managed by adding the 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Groups in Unix ???

What is Primary group and Secondary Group in Unix.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding Groups

Hi cat /etc/group : .... oinstall:x:401: dba:x:400:oracle ... cat /etc/passwd|grep oracle oracle:x:130:401::/home/oracle:/bin/ksh 1. Is that mean that : ORACLE user has OINSTALL as it Primary group and DBA as secondary group ? 2. What is the linux comman to set ORACLE user with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with regex groups

I have a requirement - replace specified positions in a string with a character. I found perl regex useful for this approach. however, I am facing the following issue. The target file 'temp' contains - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The goal is to convert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_roy
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Groups

Must I be in a group? I am using Ubuntu and am the only user on my PC. I know how to change groups but do not see a way to not be in a group. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthepines
2 Replies
spacing(3MENU)															    spacing(3MENU)

NAME
menu_spacing - Control spacing between menu items. SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_menu_spacing(MENU *menu, int spc_description, int spc_rows, int spc_columns); int menu_spacing(const MENU *menu, int* spc_description, int* spc_rows, int* spc_columns); DESCRIPTION
The function set_menu_spacing sets the spacing information for the menu. Its parameter spc_description controls the number of spaces between an item name and an item description. It must not be larger than TABSIZE. The menu system puts in the middle of this spacing area the pad character. The remaining parts are filled with spaces. The spc_rows parameter controls the number of rows that are used for an item. It must not be larger than 3. The menu system inserts the blank lines between item rows, these lines will contain the pad character in the appropriate positions. The spc_columns parameter controls the number of blanks between columns of items. It must not be larger than TABSIZE. A value of 0 for all the spacing values resets them to the default, which is 1 for all of them. The function menu_spacing passes back the spacing info for the menu. If a pointer is NULL, this specific info is simply not returned. RETURN VALUE
Both routines return E_OK on success. set_menu_spacing may return E_POSTED if the menu is posted, or E_BAD_ARGUMENT if one of the spacing values is out of range. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), curses_variables(3NCURSES), menu(3MENU). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines are specific to ncurses. They were not supported on Version 7, BSD or System V implementations. It is recommended that any code depending on them be conditioned using NCURSES_VERSION. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. spacing(3MENU)