Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regarding a query on making changes to a running script Post 302943419 by sea on Friday 8th of May 2015 07:31:35 AM
Old 05-08-2015
What is the definition of a long script?
Me have a (still not working) build script for ffmpeg, beeing a medium (compared to most of my scripts that are scripts and not just command as 'tui-XY') length script of aprox 700 lines.

But then there is VHS, which will become the (my) largest one with 3400 lines once the ffmpeg-build script works and is included. (currently ~2700 lines).
Is that a long script already?

I know (from this forum) of people having scripts with like 20k or even 30k lines.
For those script i'd choose the suggestion of MIG, but for other reasons, as the larger the script, the higher the chance a typo can break everything.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error ORA-06512 while running query in script

1 #!/bin/ksh 2 ################################################################ 3 # Written by Johnson 12/03/2008 4 # Version 1.0 5 # This script executes some SQL to provide Spike Check Report to TNS team. 6 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivanete
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script from script query

Hi I have a question Suppose i have three scripts & i have created a top level script to run these. eg. leaf1.csh leaf2.csh leaf3.csh top.csh Now in top.csh i have written #!/bin/csh leaf1.csh leaf2.csh leaf3.csh Now my question is when i run this top level script when it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

4. AIX

Query on running script with nohup

Hi, I'm trying to run database restore script with the nohup command as it will run for long hours since if I run it normally, the putty session will become inactive and the restore gets terminated. The command I use is nohup db2 -tvf FBR_NODE0000.scr -z FBR_NODE0000.log & But the problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkcool.17
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query on decision making...

is_number() { echo $1|egrep '^*$' 2>&1 1>/dev/null return $? }why the following snippet always give an output as "no" and never "yes" whatever the parameter I give to function is_number? if ]; then echo yes; else echo no; fi In addition, the function is_number() is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglau
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making use of multiple cores for running sed and awk scripts

Hi All, After reading that the sort command in Linux can be made to use many processor cores just by using a simple script which I found on the internet, I was wondering if I can use similar techniques for programs like the awk and sed? #!/bin/bash # Usage: psort filename <chunksize>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed from a script query

Hello! I'm trying to run this code to print the body of an html document (all text in between <body> and </body>) from a script but am unsure how to call it from the command line interface. /<body>/,/<\/body>/ 1s/.*<body>// $s/<\/body>.*//p I have tried to call it using this: sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgnersoon2be#1
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in running DB query by script

Hi I was trying to fetch data from database. But the number of rows exported were huge so i got the error. Experts please advice. Thanks a lot for your supprt. #: ./script.sh ./script.sh: xmalloc: subst.c:3076: cannot allocate 1401346369 bytes (0 bytes allocated) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brij123
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract only the data from ksh script running netezza query

Hi I searched this forum before posting the question, but couldnt find it, the issue i'm facing is, i'm trying to select a column from a netezza table from a korn shell script, but the query runs var=$(nzodbcsql -q "select MAX(millcount) from table1";) echo $var it returns the value like... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximus_jack
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making sure only one instance of a script is running

so i have a script that takes a while to complete and its cpu intensive. this script is being used by several users. i want to make sure only 1 user can run this script at any given time. i originally thought of running a while loop to egrep the process table of the PID ($$) of the process,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)