Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Case switching
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Case switching Post 302943390 by sea on Friday 8th of May 2015 05:07:49 AM
Old 05-08-2015
Just seeing more places of chances to break the script.
Put quotes around all variables that may contain file or folder names, as both of which may contain spaces.
The absolute only place no quotes are required, is if a variable is set to numbers, as the do not contain spaces at all - doesnt apply to this code sample though.

Saying these need quotes too:
  • cat file
  • -[fdx] file

Have a nice day

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
GPM.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       GPM.CONF(5)

NAME
gpm.conf -- startup configuration file for gpm DESCRIPTION
gpm.conf specifies options to be passed to the gpm daemon at start time. It is parsed by the init script, rather than by gpm itself. It comprises variable assignments in Bourne shell syntax: variable=value (with no extra spaces; to embed spaces or other shell metacharacters in values, use quotes as in shell scripting). Blank lines and lines beginning with a hash ("#") are ignored. Settings are implemented by setting flags on the gpm command line; these are documented in gpm(8). The following variable names are speci- fied: device Specifies the device file for your primary mouse. This sets -m. type Specifies the protocol for your primary mouse. This sets -t. device2, type2 The same as device and type, but for your secondary mouse. These set -m and -t after passing -M. If either of these are defined, both must be. responsiveness Specifies the responsiveness for your primary mouse. This sets -r. sample_rate Specifies the sample rate for your primary mouse. This sets -s. repeat_type Enables the gpm repeater and sets the repeater protocol, using the -R flag. Repeat type none or an empty value will disable the repeater. append Any options specified here are appended to the gpm command line. If you use multiple options, you will need to enclose the value in quotes (""). EXAMPLES
A simple gpm.conf file for a PS/2 mouse whose protocol should be autodetected, and which should be repeated in /dev/gpmdata as a serial Mi- crosoft Intellimouse: # Sample gpm.conf device=/dev/psaux type=autops2 repeat_type=ms3 This will cause the daemon to be started as gpm -m /dev/psaux -t autops2 -Rms3. FILES
/etc/gpm.conf SEE ALSO
gpm(8), dpkg-reconfigure(8). dpkg-reconfigure gpm can be used to generate and update the gpm.conf file automatically. Debian 3.0 January 5, 2005 Debian 3.0