Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Not replacing using sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not replacing using sed Post 302943276 by RavinderSingh13 on Thursday 7th of May 2015 03:09:13 AM
Old 05-07-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkumar15
hi ravi, would like to know does the below command is efficiency to use.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
for i in `cat 'files/chang1.txt`
do
sed -i 's/apple/orange/'  $line
done

Hello Ramkumar15,

No, above command mentioned by you will not work, you need to remove single quote ' mentioned in RED color in quote section. Also it is always good practice to let people know about their suggestions if it worked for OP or not.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing in SED

I want to change the false in Node 1 to true. How do I do that? <Node1> <Usage>false</Usage> <Url>ABC</Url> </Node1> <Node2> <Usage>false</Usage> <Url>DEF<Url> </Node2> (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing using sed

its again sed question. i have line - sed "s/$old/$new/g" "$f" > $TFILE && mv $TFILE "$f" working well if old="myoldfile" new="mynewfile" but if i want old="/home/shailesh/1test/" new="/home/shailesh/workspace/" it gives error like sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unknown option to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shailesh_arya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: replacing

Hello, I was looking around, but could not find the answer, so I hope you ppl can help me. I want simply to replace text.:rolleyes: I found out SED would be good for this task.:b: So I tried: :confused: 1.) find text in a line and replace this particular line: for finding... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing ' with '' using sed

Hi, I have a text file and I would like to replace all occurrences of single quote ' with two consecutive single quotes '' . I have tried sed s/\'/\'\'/ < Folder/outputFile.txt > Folder/otherFile.txt but this replaces only the first occurrence of ' with ''. I want it to replace all the single... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed inside sed for replacing string

My need is : Want to change docBase="/something/something/something" to docBase="/only/this/path/for/all/files" I have some (about 250 files)xml files. In FileOne it contains <Context path="/PPP" displayName="PPP" docBase="/home/me/documents" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with SED for replacing an IP

I need some advice to replace 10.183.x.x with 10.174.17.55 in a file containing multiple 10.183.x.x. Any help would be highly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing by sed

hi my input file has got >,,,, or >, or >,,,,,, there are independent number of commas after >.... i want the o/p as > only that is just to remove "," after">" another is: i want to replace the last line of the file and to replace it by "hello"...how to do?... any nice script plz help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing using sed

hi Guys, I have a rar file which consists of 10 files. each file has a space in its file name. how can i replace all spaces with _ i can replace them using sed but the thing is i need to replace using a script and not command. can anyone help me out??:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshb6
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not replacing

Data not replacing using sed,please check below. Replace_value=$$dbconn_target Search_value=$$dbcon_source   sed -e s/\${Search_value}/\${Replace_value}/g intrepid_sps_val.parm (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing digits using sed

How to replace a character followed by a digit using sed? For example lets say I have this file - a1 3242134 54235435 3241235 a2 3214345 45325626 3125435 a3 4236577 54365376 6865678 . . . a3000 5432534 32546546 3254365 I want to replace all... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)