Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to rename multiple file names? Post 302943232 by drl on Wednesday 6th of May 2015 12:29:40 PM
Old 05-06-2015
Hi.

For Debian (this from Jessie):
Code:
NAME
       rename - renames multiple files

SYNOPSIS
       rename [ -h|-m|-V ] [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] [ -e|-E perlexpr]*|perlexpr
       [ files ]

... -- see man rename

For RedHat (this from Fedora 19, similar one available from CentOS 6.4 )
Code:
NAME
       rename - rename files

SYNOPSIS
       rename [options] expression replacement file...

DESCRIPTION
       rename  will  rename  the specified files by replacing the first occur‐
       rence of expression in their name by replacement.

You may also be able to find an old shell script:
Code:
# @(#) mved     Rename, change filename by mv-ing with special pattern, =.
# $Id: mved 291 2007-10-23 11:26:32Z dennisl $
# See: http://raf.org/mved/

# From comp.sources.wizards & Martin Marietta at ornl, off Usenet.
# 90.09.27.
# mved.sh
# Move-and-edit filenames.
#
#       Usage: mved [-n] from-pattern to-pattern

Note that the three are different from one another.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing multiple file names in one go

Hi there, I have a folder full of pdf's and I've run a compression on the to reduce the size, the output of the compress places a '-o' in the name of the file. Before 12345.pdf After 12345-o.pdf Now I've got around 50000 files that I need to change back to the previous name, is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KeesH
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename long file names (html)

Hi Guys, I need a help. I have 1130 zip files. Each one of them has files including 1 html file with long file name (includes special charactors, Alphabetic and numbers). I have copied all 1130 zip files to my linux system and extracted using below command. Find . -name "*.zip" -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajmani
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change multiple file names

Hello, I have some files in a directory like: 01_07_2010_aa.txt 01_07_2010_bb.txt 01_07_2010_cc.txt 01_07_2010_dd.txt 01_07_2010_ee.txt 01_07_2010_ff.txt I want to change their names to : 3nm_aa.txt 3nm_bb.txt 3nm_cc.txt 3nm_dd.txt 3nm_ee.txt 3nm_ff.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file names in a directory

I hope some one can help me I have multiple files in a directory with out extension like as below mentioned. But i want to change all the file names along .DDMMYYYYHHMISS format. And all files should have same DDMMYYYYHHMISS. Scenario: direcory name = /vol/best/srcfiles files in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change multiple file names

Hi is it possible to change multiple files (~10k) names with out disturbing the data in it. ? input Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312480|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312483|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312484|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312482|.txt output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple file rename

hi im new to linux and was just wondering if some 1 could help me i have folders with T.V. series in them and i would like to delete part of the filename e.g. (series name).s01e01.(episode name) (series name).s01e02.(episode name) (series name).s01e03.(episode name) (series... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevemcd1990
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename

I've been googling for days but can't find a solution to this problem. I have a number of sets of files on a server file02.dat . . file12.dat /.../fred(1 to n)/bill(1 to m)/tony/joe/ in any "fred" branch there will be one or more "bill"s some joe/'s may not have a fileset and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabreur
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to do multiple dir's and multiple file names etc.

What am I missing? find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies
RENAMEAT(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       RENAMEAT(2)

NAME
renameat - rename a file relative to directory file descriptors SYNOPSIS
#include <fcntl.h> /* Definition of AT_* constants */ #include <stdio.h> int renameat(int olddirfd, const char *oldpath, int newdirfd, const char *newpath); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): renameat(): Since glibc 2.10: _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L Before glibc 2.10: _ATFILE_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The renameat() system call operates in exactly the same way as rename(2), except for the differences described in this manual page. If the pathname given in oldpath is relative, then it is interpreted relative to the directory referred to by the file descriptor olddirfd (rather than relative to the current working directory of the calling process, as is done by rename(2) for a relative pathname). If oldpath is relative and olddirfd is the special value AT_FDCWD, then oldpath is interpreted relative to the current working directory of the calling process (like rename(2)). If oldpath is absolute, then olddirfd is ignored. The interpretation of newpath is as for oldpath, except that a relative pathname is interpreted relative to the directory referred to by the file descriptor newdirfd. RETURN VALUE
On success, renameat() returns 0. On error, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The same errors that occur for rename(2) can also occur for renameat(). The following additional errors can occur for renameat(): EBADF olddirfd or newdirfd is not a valid file descriptor. ENOTDIR oldpath is relative and olddirfd is a file descriptor referring to a file other than a directory; or similar for newpath and newdirfd VERSIONS
renameat() was added to Linux in kernel 2.6.16. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
See openat(2) for an explanation of the need for renameat(). SEE ALSO
openat(2), rename(2), path_resolution(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-12-13 RENAMEAT(2)