Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to rename multiple file names? Post 302943161 by balajesuri on Tuesday 5th of May 2015 11:58:14 PM
Old 05-06-2015
Renaming can be done using mv command. But you cannot rename multiple files at once. You need to script it. I can think of one solution:
Have two arrays with the values of X and Y. Loop over them and for each value of X and Y, rename the file to desired format.
Try it out and let us know.

Something like this:
Code:
X=( 1 2 3 4 5 )
Y=( 2 3 4 5 6 )
idx=0
while idx < length_of_array
do
    mv "form_source_file_name_string_yourself" "form_destination_file_name_string_yourself"
    increment idx
done

Last edited by balajesuri; 05-06-2015 at 01:08 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing multiple file names in one go

Hi there, I have a folder full of pdf's and I've run a compression on the to reduce the size, the output of the compress places a '-o' in the name of the file. Before 12345.pdf After 12345-o.pdf Now I've got around 50000 files that I need to change back to the previous name, is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KeesH
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename long file names (html)

Hi Guys, I need a help. I have 1130 zip files. Each one of them has files including 1 html file with long file name (includes special charactors, Alphabetic and numbers). I have copied all 1130 zip files to my linux system and extracted using below command. Find . -name "*.zip" -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajmani
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change multiple file names

Hello, I have some files in a directory like: 01_07_2010_aa.txt 01_07_2010_bb.txt 01_07_2010_cc.txt 01_07_2010_dd.txt 01_07_2010_ee.txt 01_07_2010_ff.txt I want to change their names to : 3nm_aa.txt 3nm_bb.txt 3nm_cc.txt 3nm_dd.txt 3nm_ee.txt 3nm_ff.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file names in a directory

I hope some one can help me I have multiple files in a directory with out extension like as below mentioned. But i want to change all the file names along .DDMMYYYYHHMISS format. And all files should have same DDMMYYYYHHMISS. Scenario: direcory name = /vol/best/srcfiles files in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change multiple file names

Hi is it possible to change multiple files (~10k) names with out disturbing the data in it. ? input Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312480|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312483|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312484|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312482|.txt output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple file rename

hi im new to linux and was just wondering if some 1 could help me i have folders with T.V. series in them and i would like to delete part of the filename e.g. (series name).s01e01.(episode name) (series name).s01e02.(episode name) (series name).s01e03.(episode name) (series... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevemcd1990
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename

I've been googling for days but can't find a solution to this problem. I have a number of sets of files on a server file02.dat . . file12.dat /.../fred(1 to n)/bill(1 to m)/tony/joe/ in any "fred" branch there will be one or more "bill"s some joe/'s may not have a fileset and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabreur
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to do multiple dir's and multiple file names etc.

What am I missing? find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies
SSL_CTX_get_ex_new_index(3)					      OpenSSL					       SSL_CTX_get_ex_new_index(3)

NAME
SSL_CTX_get_ex_new_index, SSL_CTX_set_ex_data, SSL_CTX_get_ex_data - internal application specific data functions SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/ssl.h> int SSL_CTX_get_ex_new_index(long argl, void *argp, CRYPTO_EX_new *new_func, CRYPTO_EX_dup *dup_func, CRYPTO_EX_free *free_func); int SSL_CTX_set_ex_data(SSL_CTX *ctx, int idx, void *arg); void *SSL_CTX_get_ex_data(SSL_CTX *ctx, int idx); typedef int new_func(void *parent, void *ptr, CRYPTO_EX_DATA *ad, int idx, long argl, void *argp); typedef void free_func(void *parent, void *ptr, CRYPTO_EX_DATA *ad, int idx, long argl, void *argp); typedef int dup_func(CRYPTO_EX_DATA *to, CRYPTO_EX_DATA *from, void *from_d, int idx, long argl, void *argp); DESCRIPTION
Several OpenSSL structures can have application specific data attached to them. These functions are used internally by OpenSSL to manipu- late application specific data attached to a specific structure. SSL_CTX_get_ex_new_index() is used to register a new index for application specific data. SSL_CTX_set_ex_data() is used to store application data at arg for idx into the ctx object. SSL_CTX_get_ex_data() is used to retrieve the information for idx from ctx. A detailed description for the *_get_ex_new_index() functionality can be found in RSA_get_ex_new_index(3). The *_get_ex_data() and *_set_ex_data() functionality is described in CRYPTO_set_ex_data(3). SEE ALSO
ssl(3), RSA_get_ex_new_index(3), CRYPTO_set_ex_data(3) 0.9.7d 2002-04-30 SSL_CTX_get_ex_new_index(3)