Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prefix/Suffix on same file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Prefix/Suffix on same file Post 302943151 by neutronscott on Tuesday 5th of May 2015 08:09:52 PM
Old 05-05-2015
you can't pass a shell variable into an awk program like that.

Personally I'd go with the ed. A here-doc does expand shell variables.

Code:
ed -s report_out.txt <<!
$((last_line_num - 6))s#.*#<b>&</b>#
w
!

or in bash as a here-string: ed -s report_out.txt <<< $'$((last_line_num-6))s#.*#<b>&</b>#\nw'

or with printf: printf %s\\n "$((last_line_num-6))s#.*#<b>&</b>#" w | ed -s report_out.txt

or fixing the awk solution:
Code:
awk -v line="$((last_line_num - 6))" 'NR==line {print "<b>" $0 "</b>"; next; };1' report_out.txt > new_report && mv new_report report_out.txt

This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a file exists with certain prefix

Hi guys, How would i check a file exists with certainprefix? i have a directory with some files: ABC1 ABC2 ABC3 etc.. and want to do: please note i am using the korn shell environment.As when i gone through some stuff on then net i came to know some of the options will work... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raoscb
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

prefix suffix to each argument

Hi, I have a variable, which contains comma separated values. Something like. StringA="abc,def,ghi,jkl" I want to apply prefix and suffix to each value in the string without using any loops. Say if Prefix is Pre_ and Suffix is _Suf then I need to get ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name suffix with a running number

Hi all, i have a shell script invoking a pl/sql proc which then, generates a file in a format DATA-26-12-2009.txt. The shell script is configured as a cron job to run once a day. If i need to run the script more than once, i need to suffix the generated file with a two digit running... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna.saran
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove prefix per line in file

Hi, I'm using a .ksh script to split one file into multible files by checking for the prefix per line. It works perfekt (thanks again for anyone involved in helping me with that ;)), but I want to remove the prefix per line too. Means only the line information itself should remain in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spidermike
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace prefix and suffix of a string

Hi, I'm new about shell scripting, and I need to do something like abcd **1234** efgh by abcd '''1234''' efgh I know that command sed helps about change one string by another, but I dont know how to keep whatever is inside **_** and replace * with '. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvaya
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help deleting prefix from file names

I have a directory full of personal files named similar to the following: 043 fflshju 923- osfjpojfsa 1 - oasfns.txt:wall: What I would like to do is strip any leading numbers, spaces, dashes (etc.).. and leave only the main section of the name. For example, the preceeding list would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lazerking9
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK adding prefix/suffix to list of strings

75 103 131 133 138 183 197 221 232 234 248 256 286 342 368 389 463 499 524 538 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lftp sftp get - script renames the local file with suffix tilde

Hi, Below script used for sftp get, #/bin/bash USER=xxx PASS=xxx HOST=xxx REMOTE_FILE=$1 LOCAL_FILE_LOC=$2 cd $LOCAL_FILE_LOC lftp sftp://$USER:$PASS@$HOST:10022 -e "get $REMOTE_FILE; bye" If file does not exist in sftp server, and file (same as remote file name) exists in local dir,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhegde1011
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Uniq prefix from a start and end prefix

Dear All, assume i have a file with content: <Start>6000</Start> <Stop>7599</Stop> the output is: 6000 7000 7100 7200 7300 7400 7599 how should we use any awk, sed, perl can do this task, means to extract the uniq prefixes from the start and stop prefix. Thanks Jimmy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)