Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to rename multiple file names? Post 302943144 by idro on Tuesday 5th of May 2015 06:45:07 PM
Old 05-05-2015
How to rename multiple file names?

Hi all,

I need to rename more file name in one command or script.
The files have this structure:

XxY - filename.doc

where X and Y are numbers and the x is the letter itself.

I need to rename these files with this structure:

string.S0XEY.filename.doc

the string is a suffix that changes time to time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing multiple file names in one go

Hi there, I have a folder full of pdf's and I've run a compression on the to reduce the size, the output of the compress places a '-o' in the name of the file. Before 12345.pdf After 12345-o.pdf Now I've got around 50000 files that I need to change back to the previous name, is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KeesH
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename long file names (html)

Hi Guys, I need a help. I have 1130 zip files. Each one of them has files including 1 html file with long file name (includes special charactors, Alphabetic and numbers). I have copied all 1130 zip files to my linux system and extracted using below command. Find . -name "*.zip" -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajmani
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change multiple file names

Hello, I have some files in a directory like: 01_07_2010_aa.txt 01_07_2010_bb.txt 01_07_2010_cc.txt 01_07_2010_dd.txt 01_07_2010_ee.txt 01_07_2010_ff.txt I want to change their names to : 3nm_aa.txt 3nm_bb.txt 3nm_cc.txt 3nm_dd.txt 3nm_ee.txt 3nm_ff.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file names in a directory

I hope some one can help me I have multiple files in a directory with out extension like as below mentioned. But i want to change all the file names along .DDMMYYYYHHMISS format. And all files should have same DDMMYYYYHHMISS. Scenario: direcory name = /vol/best/srcfiles files in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change multiple file names

Hi is it possible to change multiple files (~10k) names with out disturbing the data in it. ? input Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312480|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312483|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312484|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312482|.txt output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple file rename

hi im new to linux and was just wondering if some 1 could help me i have folders with T.V. series in them and i would like to delete part of the filename e.g. (series name).s01e01.(episode name) (series name).s01e02.(episode name) (series name).s01e03.(episode name) (series... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevemcd1990
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename

I've been googling for days but can't find a solution to this problem. I have a number of sets of files on a server file02.dat . . file12.dat /.../fred(1 to n)/bill(1 to m)/tony/joe/ in any "fred" branch there will be one or more "bill"s some joe/'s may not have a fileset and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabreur
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to do multiple dir's and multiple file names etc.

What am I missing? find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies
mren(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mren(1)

Name
       mren - rename an existing MSDOS file

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mren command is used to rename or move an existing MS-DOS file or subdirectory. Its syntax is:

mren [-voOsSrRA] sourcefile targetfile

Mren renames an existing file on an MS-DOS file system.

In verbose mode, Mren displays the new filename if the name supplied is invalid.

If the first syntax is used (only one source file), and if the target name doesn't contain any slashes or colons, the  file  (or  subdirec-
       tory) is renamed in the same directory, instead of being moved to the current mcd directory as would be the case with mmove. Unlike the MS-
       DOS version of REN, mren can be used to rename directories.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This manpage has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only  approximative,  and  some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation in the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.  Thus I strongly  advise  you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The  texinfo  doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due to the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13								   mren(1)