Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Named resolving old fqdn on AIX after change to new fqdn. Post 302943082 by Devyn on Tuesday 5th of May 2015 10:49:36 AM
Old 05-05-2015
1.) I dont' see a suitable option in the bind config for doing that. So hosts=local,bind ? I'm looking to have bind do most of the work so I dont' rely on local files though.

I'm trying to remove all traces of abc.this.that from the system. So in my /etc/resolv.conf I have 'domain this.that'. /etc/hosts seems to be read and works fine when I add entries there but again, that's customization that would need to be duplicated across many other hosts.

I also want to have one nameserver in the /etc/resolv.conf file. I tested by adding in other nameservers that I have a forwarders and that works of course but not on the forwarders line in my named.conf (That's another problem I have, the AIX DNS bind9 setup won't properly resolve against the forwarders I have listed including the one to the Windows 2012 DNS Server).

I'm trying to keep to one nameserver as I scale this up I want less to manage in the local files and more centrally managed within Bind.

Thanks,
DH

---------- Post updated at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:47 AM ----------

I should add that I can resolve against the Windows 2012 DNS directly like this:

Code:
nslookup host01 <WIN 2012 DNS Server IP>

but not in the forwarders line in the /etc/named.conf file. It's a second issue but might have some bearing on this problem here however. Also looks like abc.this.that is coming from the other hosts from some cached entries (ie maybe NIM or CIFS entries) that are hitting the AIX DNS box. I did a test by using a bogus domain such as xyz.this.that and that also appeared in the logs. But I just can't find where the abc.this.that is still defined on the other hosts. Reboot did not help.

Thanks,
DH

---------- Post updated at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:36 AM ----------

Hey All,

A bit more on the /etc/named.conf forwarders line:

Code:
options {
        listen-on-v6 port 53 { any; };
        directory "/etc/named";
        listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 172.20.255.174; };

// allow-query-cache { none; };
        // allow-query { any; };
        // recursion yes;

forward first;
        forwarders { 10.0.0.10; 123.1.2.3; 10.0.0.11; 123.1.2.4; 123.1.1.1 };
};

10.X are internal Windows 2012 DNS server IP's.
123.X are external, but reachable, to this DNS server.

This DNS server is 10.0.0.20.

I can't get any logs to show up on why the forwarding is not fully working as well.

---------- Post updated at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:01 AM ----------

tcpdump showed no communication to the Windows 2012 DNS server on a forwarding call, even though I have it explicitly listed.

Is there a way to verify that forwarding is working? Maybe I'm missing packages?

Code:
# lslpp -w /usr/sbin/named
  File                                        Fileset               Type
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  /usr/sbin/named                             bos.net.tcp.server    Symlink
# ls -altri /usr/sbin/named
 2662 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     system           16 May  7 2014  /usr/sbin/named -> /usr/sbin/named9
# lslpp -w /usr/sbin/named9
  File                                        Fileset               Type
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  /usr/sbin/named9                            bos.net.tcp.server    File
# named -v
named: continuing without SRC support
BIND 9.4.1
#

Last edited by Devyn; 05-05-2015 at 10:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

FQDN and getdomainname

I have a need to create a connection between an erlang node and my C program. the name of an erlang node looks something like monitor@host1.ipc.co.za. The piece of code I have to construct a node name looks like this: char *hostname, *domainname, *nodename = "monitor", *thisfullnodename; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NanoSec
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Using sendmail without FQDN

Hello Folks, Am facing an issue regarding sendmail. Sendmail is working on the server but it does not have an FQDN and the server is not connected to internet ie it does not have a public IP, it is in the intranet with 192.xxx.xxx.xx IP. How do we go about sending mail from this sendmail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcmrulzz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parsing an FQDN

Hi, I want a shell command through which I can parse an FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) and check whether it is correct or not? The FQDN can accept alphanumeric, . and - only. I tried grep -E "^|\-|." <file name>, but I am not able to get the correct result.:confused: Please provide... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_rohit7
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

re-arrange fqdn entries

How would I reverse a list of fqdn and comma delimited to 5 levels but keep a number at the end? Input: aa.bb.cc.dd.com,78 Output: dd,cc,bb,aa,,78 thanks & regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Sendmail to username without FQDN

I have some Solaris 10 machines that cannot send an email without @domain added. For instance, myusername@host.com will work, but just using myusername will not. I also have some Solaris 8 machines, but I can send emails with or without the @domain added. Does anyone know what is making sendmail on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: njhardc0re
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FQDN into domain name and hostname

I'm working on a rather large script atm (it already takes 9 arguments). As such, I need to obtain both a server name and domain from the FQDN. From this, I want to both populate the hostname of the server, as well as the domain line in the /etc/resolv.conf file. Obviously, this isn't working. I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the FQDN

Suppose I am in one server A .I want to know the FQDN of another host B then how can I get the FQDN of that host B from host A. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maitree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing FQDN by hostnames in a CSV file with sed & awk

Hello, Beginning with shell scipting, I'm trying to find in a csv file, the lines where the field related to hostname is displayed as an FQDN intead the hostname. (some lines are correct) and the to correct that inside the file: Novell,11.0,UNIX Server,bscpsiws02,TxffnX1tX1HiDoyBerrzWA==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wonto
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Help with parsing regex in tripwire for Solaris 10 dfstab FQDN

Help with parsing regex in tripwire: the rule is" This test verifies that all exported file systems found in /etc/exports specify a fully qualified domain name containing "thecss.com" or a NIS netgroup.." regex that does not work is : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bathija12
1 Replies

10. AIX

Ldapsearch takes minutes when using FQDN vs IP

Hey All, ldapsearch takes minutes when using FQDN vs IP. What could be some of the reasons for that? Cheers, DH (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
13 Replies