Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help to delete carriage return and new line in csv file Post 302942963 by mlavanya on Monday 4th of May 2015 10:38:25 AM
Old 05-04-2015
Need Help to delete carriage return and new line in csv file

Hi All,

I have a problem loading the data from a csv file
As you see below in the Input ,For the Data starting with " there are 2 lines, which i want to make them into single without changing the format of that data.
You can see the desired output below:
While i try to open the csv file and see the could see the whole text in a single column, but when i try to see in edit plus only i see that data after "Order raised to credit back overpayment against order 0981/1571Q." is going to next line and im not able to load the data .

Header for the file has some 13 columns, im getting this problem with 9th column in the file

Input :
Code:
12345|477.5|C|123/1234|12345678|1234|1234/1234567|Emergency Lighting|"Order raised to credit back overpayment against order1233/12345.
Hi Abcd
 Could you please arrange credit for the above as follows £123
 The wrong quote was uploaded against this job but the correct works have been carried out.  If you need paperwork to confirm let me know and I will forward it on to you 
 Many thanks
 Kind Regards,
Abcdedfg
Admin & Invoicing Team Member
12345 567898"|ABCDEFGH|16/12/2014|1234|ABCD1010

Desired Output :

Code:
12345|477.5|C|123/1234|12345678|1234|1234/1234567|Emergency  Lighting|"Order raised to credit back overpayment against  order1233/12345.Hi AbcdCould you please arrange credit for the above as follows £123The  wrong quote was uploaded against this job but the correct works have  been carried out.  If you need paperwork to confirm let me know and I  will forward it on to you Many thanks
 Kind Regards,AbcdedfgAdmin & Invoicing Team Member12345 567898"|ABCDEFGH|16/12/2014|1234|ABCD1010

I want the system consider the text starting " to the text ending with " as a single line.

Could anyone please help me out with the solution for this.

Regards,
Lavanya.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-04-2015 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

carriage return/line feeds

Hello, I have a file that has got carriage returns in it and I want to take them out. Anyone know how I can do this in a ksh? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitstop
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage Return and or line feed from a file

Hello I'm trying to write a shell script which can remove a carriage return and/or line feed from a file, so the resulting file all ends up on one line. So, I begin with a file like this text in file!<CR> line two!<CR> line three!<CR> END!<CR> And I want to end up with a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tbone231
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert carriage return before line feed?

I am doing some edi where translations had to be run on unix. Generally when I run the translations on windows, the output file has both carriage returns and line feed where as when ran on unix will have only line feed. I need to insert carriage return before the line feed. Is there some tool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huey ing
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete carriage return in SED

Could someone tell me how to do the below without opening the file? (eg in sed or awk) I have a file with the contenst below: $ more file1.txt 10 AAA; 200 BBB; 3 CCC; I want to delete the carriage return of one line above the line which has ";" at the end to get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete carriage return in SED

Hi everybody! I'm working in one script with sed, I have file with the next content: <voms.db.type value="changeme"/> <voms.db.host value="changeme"/> <voms.admin.smtp.host value="changeme"/> <voms.mysql.admin.password value="changeme"/> <glite.installer.verbose value="true"/> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juedsivi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a carriage return at end of each line

Hi All, I am reading two files and writing out the file name and count of lines in each file to an output file. My script looks like this: echo "input_file1.out;`wc -l < input_file1.out | sed 's/^]*\(.*\)]*$/\1/'` " > comp_file1.out echo "input_file2.out;`wc -l < input_file2.out | sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

line carriage return characters

Hi, I would like to insert the line carriage retrun characters on each line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newlines and carriage return from a csv file using UNIX

I need to remove new lines and carriage returns from csv file. Is there anything other than sed and gwak by which we could achieve this ? Any suggestions ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Gaddale
3 Replies
STRFMON(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							STRFMON(3)

NAME
strfmon - convert monetary value to a string SYNOPSIS
#include <monetary.h> ssize_t strfmon(char *s, size_t max, const char *format, ...); DESCRIPTION
The strfmon() function formats the specified amounts according to the format specification format and places the result in the character array s of size max. Ordinary characters in format are copied to s without conversion. Conversion specifiers are introduced by a `%' character. Immediately following it there can be zero or more of the following flags: =f The single-byte character f is used as the numeric fill character (to be used with a left precision, see below). When not speci- fied, the space character is used. ^ Do not use any grouping characters that might be defined for the current locale. By default, grouping is enabled. ( or + The ( flag indicates that negative amounts should be enclosed between parentheses. The + flag indicates that signs should be handled in the default way, that is, amounts are preceded by the locale's sign indication, e.g., nothing for positive, "-" for negative. ! Omit the currency symbol. - Left justify all fields. The default is right justification. Next, there may be a field width: a decimal digit string specifying a minimum field width in bytes. The default is 0. A result smaller than this width is padded with spaces (on the left, unless the left-justify flag was given). Next, there may be a left precision of the form "#" followed by a decimal digit string. If the number of digits left of the radix character is smaller than this, the representation is padded on the left with the numeric fill character. Grouping characters are not counted in this field width. Next, there may be a right precision of the form "." followed by a decimal digit string. The amount being formatted is rounded to the spec- ified number of digits prior to formatting. The default is specified in the frac_digits and int_frac_digits items of the current locale. If the right precision is 0, no radix character is printed. (The radix character here is determined by LC_MONETARY, and may differ from that specified by LC_NUMERIC.) Finally, the conversion specification must be ended with a conversion character. The three conversion characters are % (In this case the entire specification must be exactly "%%".) Put a `%' character in the result string. i One argument of type double is converted using the locale's international currency format. n One argument of type double is converted using the locale's national currency format. RETURN VALUE
The strfmon() function returns the number of characters placed in the array s, not including the terminating NUL character, provided the string, including the terminating NUL, fits. Otherwise, it sets errno to E2BIG, returns -1, and the contents of the array is undefined. EXAMPLE
The call strfmon(buf, sizeof(buf), "[%^=*#6n] [%=*#6i]", 1234.567, 1234.567); outputs [ fl **1234,57] [ NLG **1 234,57] in the Dutch locale (with fl for "florijnen" and NLG for Netherlands Guilders). The grouping character is very ugly because it takes as much space as a digit, while it should not take more than half that, and will no doubt cause confusion. Surprisingly, the "fl" is preceded and followed by a space, and "NLG" is preceded by one and followed by two spaces. This may be a bug in the locale files. The Italian, Aus- tralian, Swiss and Portuguese locales yield [ L. **1235] [ ITL **1.235] [ $**1234.57] [ AUD **1,234.57] [Fr. **1234,57] [CHF **1.234,57] [ **1234$57Esc] [ **1.234$57PTE ] SEE ALSO
setlocale(3), sprintf(3), locale(7) Linux 2000-12-05 STRFMON(3)