Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way Post 302942907 by Don Cragun on Sunday 3rd of May 2015 08:18:38 PM
Old 05-03-2015
Your requirement isn't clear.
  1. Does the file hierarchy you're modifying contain symbolic links matched by the patterns /Path/AdminUser/* and /Path/AdminUser/*/*? Your textual description didn't say anything about symbolic links, but your (non-working) code explicitly ignores them. If symbolic links are found, what do want to have done with them?
  2. Are you trying to move all files in the file hierarchy rooted in /Path/AdminUser/ up one level in that hierarchy to /Path/; or are you just trying to move regular files with pathnames matching the pattern /Path/AdminUser/*/*/Reports/*.txt to the corresponding pathname after removing AdminUser/ from the source pathname?
  3. If a directory in the target pathname does not already exist, should your script report an error and move on, should it create the missing directories, or should it silently ignore that source pathname?
  4. Do you want to leave the (empty) source directories in place after files are moved out of them, or should emptied directories be removed?
  5. Is the entire file hierarchy rooted in /Path in a single filesystem?
Instead of saying "It still threw error, can we also write it in an efficient way?", show us exactly what "error(s) it produces" (in CODE tags).

What do you believe it is doing inefficiently?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files by splitting the path embedded in the filename

Hello All. I am having a directory /tmp/rahul which contains many files in the format @#home@#rahul@#programs@#script.pl where /home/rahul/programs is the directory where the script.pl file is to be placed. I have many files in this format. What i want is a script which read these... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple child scripts running in backgroud, how to use grep on the parent?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertashish
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving multiple folders/files in subversion using bash script

Hi, I'm new here an dlearning a lot from this forum. i didnt find any solution for this in the forum. I have already checked in folders in subversion named HTT01,... HTT21.. and have files in each folder like below: HTT01/HTT01_00000.hex HTT01/HTT01_00000_fb_result.hex... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravishan21
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Find, replace, file path in multiple files for Solaris 10

Guys I have a big issue that I need to get fixed ASAP however I can not seem to find a way to do it. We started to use zones with Solaris 10 at work and we moved a zone from a SIT box to a DEV box. Problem is the software we have installed is looking at a /lcl/sit/apps/ path and it needs to look... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Problem with path and child shells

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: a) Some Unix tools are at $HOME/mytools directory. Make these tools accessible for use from any directory. b)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justOne21
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to trim folder and files within a path that share a common file extension

The bash will trim the folder to trim folder. Within each of the folders (there may be more than 1) and the format is always the same, are several .bam and matching .bam.bai files (file structure) and the bashunder that executes and trims the .bam as expected but repeats the.bam.bai extentions... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies
CPMAC(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CPMAC(1)

NAME
/usr/bin/CpMac -- copy files preserving metadata and forks SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/CpMac [-rp] [-mac] source target /usr/bin/CpMac [-rp] [-mac] source ... directory DESCRIPTION
In its first form, the /usr/bin/CpMac utility copies the contents of the file named by the source operand to the destination path named by the target operand. This form is assumed when the last operand does not name an already existing directory. In its second form, /usr/bin/CpMac copies each file named by a source operand to a destination directory named by the directory operand. The destination path for each operand is the pathname produced by the concatenation of the last operand, a slash, and the final pathname compo- nent of the named file. The following options are available: -r If source designates a directory, /usr/bin/CpMac copies the directory and the entire subtree connected at that point. This option also causes symbolic links to be copied, rather than indirected through, and for /usr/bin/CpMac to create special files rather than copying them as normal files. Created directories have the same mode as the corresponding source directory, unmodified by the process' umask. -p Causes /usr/bin/CpMac to preserve in the copy as many of the modification time, access time, file flags, file mode, user ID, and group ID as allowed by permissions. -mac Allows use of HFS-style paths for both source and target. Path elements must be separated by colons, and the path must begin with a volume name or a colon (to designate current directory). NOTES
The /usr/bin/CpMac command does not support the same options as the POSIX cp command, and is much less flexible in its operands. It cannot be used as a direct substitute for cp in scripts. As of Mac OS X 10.4, the cp command preserves metadata and resource forks of files on Extended HFS volumes, so it can be used in place of CpMac. The /usr/bin/CpMac command will be deprecated in future versions of Mac OS X. SEE ALSO
cp(1) MvMac(1) Mac OS X April 12, 2004 Mac OS X