Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert content of a file into another file before given pattern Post 302942881 by Don Cragun on Saturday 2nd of May 2015 06:05:54 PM
Old 05-02-2015
I usually find ed better suited for things like this than sed. Try:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
ed -s x1 <<-EOF
	H
	/BBB/-1r x2
	w somefile
	q
EOF

The ed H command will give you a semi-useful diagnostic if the pattern you're looking for is not present in the input file.

This will save the updated contents in a file name somefile. If you want to update x1 instead of creating a new file; change:
Code:
	w somefile

to just:
Code:
	w

If you want the update written to standard output instead of to a file, change the lines:
Code:
	w somefile
	q

to:
Code:
	,p
	Q

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert file content via sed after two searchings

Hi folks, The file webcache.xml contains a lot sections which begins and ends with the string </CACHEABILITYRULE>. The section In need to deel with is: </CACHEABILITYRULE> <CACHEABILITYRULE NAME="cache swf" CACHE="YES" COMMENT="This rule caches all .swf files. This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract content from a file and insert to another file

please help for the following task... I have to extract the mac address & IP address from the file1: ... 0100004512EEF4 03 192.168.0.7 192.168.0.1 -1 ... 0100779hF5D212 03 192.168.0.8 192.168.0.1 -1 ... 0100789lF5D212 03 192.168.0.9 192.168.0.1 -1 ... ... change the format (addidng... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file after a certain line in another file

Hi, it's my first post to this forum. I just started bash and I'm stuck at one issue. I want to include content of a file in another file after a certain line. I'm using sed for inserting one line but how to insert all content of a file ? For example i have a file list.txt with a few lines and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to Insert few lines which are stored in some file before a pattern in another file

Hello, I have few lines to be inserted in file_lines_to_insert. In another file final_file, I have to add lines from above file file_lines_to_insert before a particular pattern. e.g. $ cat file_lines_to_insert => contents are abc def lkj In another file final_file, before a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append portion of a file content to another file when a certain pattern is matching?

Hi ladies and gentleman.. I have two text file with me. I need to replace one of the file content to another file if one both files have a matching pattern. Example: text1.txt: ABCD 1234567,HELLO_WORLDA,HELLO_WORLDB DCBA 3456789,HELLO_WORLDE,HELLO_WORLDF text2.txt: XXXX,ABCD... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananamen
25 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file to another file at a line number which is given by third file

Hi friends, here is my problem. I have three files like this.. cat file1.txt ======= unix is best unix is best linux is best unix is best linux is best linux is best unix is best unix is best cat file2.txt ======== Windows performs better Mac OS performs better Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file

Hi all, I'm new to scripting.. facing some problems while inserting content of a file into another file... I want to insert content of a file (file2) into file1, before first occurrence of "line starts with pattern" in file1 file1 ====== working on linux its unix world working on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file right after pattern in another file

suppose i have original file: original.txt: hello how are you you are wonderful what time is it I went to the store last night. and some apple juice then i have another file: anotherfile.txt: with my friends mary, john and harry. We had a great time. We bought food Suppose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert content from file 1 to file 2 in specific criteria meet

Hi , I'm looking for some code that can copy and paste form file1 to file2 with 2 criterial meet. file1: test "sp-j1" test "sp-j2" test "sp-j3" test "sp-j4" file2: sub Pre_Shorts1 (Status_Code, Message$) global Status !if Message$ <> "" then print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kttan
3 Replies
SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)							 1							 SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)

substr_replace - Replace text within a portion of a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed substr_replace (mixed $string, mixed $replacement, mixed $start, [mixed $length]) DESCRIPTION
substr_replace(3) replaces a copy of $string delimited by the $start and (optionally) $length parameters with the string given in $replace- ment. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. An array of strings can be provided, in which case the replacements will occur on each string in turn. In this case, the $replacement, $start and $length parameters may be provided either as scalar values to be applied to each input string in turn, or as arrays, in which case the corresponding array element will be used for each input string. o $replacement - The replacement string. o $start - If $start is positive, the replacing will begin at the $start'th offset into $string. If $start is negative, the replacing will begin at the $start'th character from the end of $string. o $length - If given and is positive, it represents the length of the portion of $string which is to be replaced. If it is negative, it rep- resents the number of characters from the end of $string at which to stop replacing. If it is not given, then it will default to strlen( $string ); i.e. end the replacing at the end of $string. Of course, if $length is zero then this function will have the effect of inserting $replacement into $string at the given $start offset. RETURN VALUES
The result string is returned. If $string is an array then array is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Simple substr_replace(3) examples <?php $var = 'ABCDEFGH:/MNRPQR/'; echo "Original: $var<hr /> "; /* These two examples replace all of $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, strlen($var)) . "<br /> "; /* Insert 'bob' right at the beginning of $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, 0) . "<br /> "; /* These next two replace 'MNRPQR' in $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', -7, -1) . "<br /> "; /* Delete 'MNRPQR' from $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, '', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; ?> Example #2 Using substr_replace(3) to replace multiple strings at once <?php $input = array('A: XXX', 'B: XXX', 'C: XXX'); // A simple case: replace XXX in each string with YYY. echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, 'YYY', 3, 3))." "; // A more complicated case where each replacement is different. $replace = array('AAA', 'BBB', 'CCC'); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, 3))." "; // Replace a different number of characters each time. $length = array(1, 2, 3); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, $length))." "; ?> The above example will output: A: YYY; B: YYY; C: YYY A: AAA; B: BBB; C: CCC A: AAAXX; B: BBBX; C: CCC NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. SEE ALSO
str_replace(3), substr(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)