Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: Dealing with whitespace in associative array indicies Post 302942734 by Michael Stora on Thursday 30th of April 2015 10:01:51 PM
Old 04-30-2015
Awk: Dealing with whitespace in associative array indicies

Is there a reliable way to deal with whitespace in array indicies?

I am trying to annotate fails in a database using a table of known fails.

In a begin block I have code like this:
Code:
# Read in Known Fail List
getline < "'"$failListFile"'"; getline < "'"$failListFile"'"; getline < "'"$failListFile"'" # Header Rows
while (getline < "'"$failListFile"'") { split( $0, a, ","); failMessage[a[1]a[2]a[3]a[4]a[5]]=a[8] }
close("'"$failListFile"'")

And in the main part, code like this:
Code:
if ( $10 > limit) { $12 = "Fail"; if ( $2$3$4$5$9 in failMessage)
                                      { $12 = "Known Fail"; if ($7 == "\"\"") gsub ( "\"$", "Known Fail: "failMessage[$2$3$4$5$9]"\"", $7 )
                                                            else gsub ( "\"$", "|Known Fail: "failMessage[$2$3$4$5$9]"\"", $7 ) } }
else $12 = "Pass"

$10 is a test value, $12 is pass/fail, $7 is a comment, $2-$5 are building, room, position in room, etc. Later in my code I translate "|" characters to new lines. Everything works fine except when some of my room names have whitespace.

Code:
$ echo | awk 'BEGIN { a[1]="abc"; if (1 in a) print "index exists"}'
index exists

$ echo | awk 'BEGIN { a[1]="abc"; if ("1" in a) print "index exists"}'
index exists

$ echo | awk 'BEGIN { a["1"]="abc"; if ("1" in a) print "index exists"}'
index exists

$ echo | awk 'BEGIN { a[contains whitespace]="abc"; if (contains whitespace in a) print "index exists"}'
index exists

$ echo | awk 'BEGIN { a[contains whitespace]="abc"; if (contains purplespace in a) print "index exists"}'
index exists FALSE POSITIVE

$ echo a b c | awk 'NR==1 { a[$1$2$3]="abc"; if ( "abc" in a ) { print "index exists"} }'
index exists

$ echo a b " c"| awk 'NR==1 { a[$1$2$3]="abc"; if ( "ab c" in a ) { print "index exists"} }'

$ echo a b " c"| awk 'NR==1 { a["$1$2$3"]="abc"; if ( "ab c" in a ) { print "index exists"} }'

Mike

Last edited by Michael Stora; 04-30-2015 at 11:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative Array

Hi, I am trying to make an associative array to use in a popup_menu on a website. Here is what i have: foreach $entr ( @entries ) { $temp_uid = $entr->get_value(uid); $temp_naam = $entr->get_value(sn); $s++; } This is the popup_menu i want to use it in. popup_menu(-name=>'modcon',... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Sorting an associative array

Hi, When using sort on an associative array: foreach $key (sort(keys(%opalfabet))){ $value = $opalfabet{$key}; $result .= $value; } How does it handle double values? It seems to me that it removes them, is that true? If so, is there a way to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with lookup values on AWK associative array

I'm at wits end with this issue and my troubleshooting leads me to believe it is a problem with the file formatting of the array referenced by my script: awk -F, '{if (NR==FNR) {a=$4","$3","$2}\ else {print a "," $0}}' WBTSassignments1.txt RNCalarms.tmp On the WBTSassignments1.txt file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, associative array, compare files

i have a file like this < '393200103052';'H3G';'20081204' < '393200103059';'TIM';'20110111' < '393200103061';'TIM';'20060206' < '393200103064';'OPI';'20110623' > '393200103052';'HKG';'20081204' > '393200103056';'TIM';'20110111' > '393200103088';'TIM';'20060206' Now i have to generate a file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthi123
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed on Associative array in awk

Hi All, I got stuck up with shell script where i use awk. The scenario which i am working on is as below. I have a file text.txt with contents COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 1 A 500 400 1 B 500 400 1 A 500 200 2 A 290 300 2 B 290 280 3 C 100 100 I could able to sum col 3 and col4 based on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imsularif
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative array

I have an associative array named table declare -A table table="fruit" table="veggie" table="GT" table="eminem" Now say I have a variable returning the value highway How do I find corresponding value GT ?? (this value that I find (GT in this case) is supposed to be the name of a mysql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leghorn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative Array with more than one item per entry

Hi all I have a problem where i have a large list ( up to 1000 of items) and need to have 2 items pulled from it into variables in a bash script my list is like the following and I could have it as an array or possibly an external text file maintained separately. Every line is different and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Morse Code with Associative Array

Continuing my quest to learn BASH, Bourne, Awk, Grep, etc. on my own through the use of a few books. I've come to an exercise that has me absolutely stumped. The specifics: 1. Using ONLY BASH scripting commands (not sed, awk, etc.), write a script to convert a string on the command line to... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using associative array for comparison

Hello together, i make something wrong... I want an array that contains information to associate it for further processing. Here is something from my bash... You will know, what I'm trying to do. I have to point out in advance, that the variable $SYSOS is changing and not as static as in my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Decstasy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - set status according to condition SYNOPSIS
test expr DESCRIPTION
Test evaluates the expression expr. If the value is true the exit status is null; otherwise the exit status is non-null. If there are no arguments the exit status is non-null. The following primitives are used to construct expr. -r file True if the file exists (is accessible) and is readable. -w file True if the file exists and is writable. -x file True if the file exists and has execute permission. -e file True if the file exists. -f file True if the file exists and is a plain file. -d file True if the file exists and is a directory. -s file True if the file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t fildes True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is the same file as /dev/cons. -A file True if the file exists and is append-only. -L file True if the file exists and is exclusive-use. -Tfile True if the file exists and is temporary. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. (Deprecated.) -n s1 True if the length of string s1 is non-zero. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are arithmetically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, or -le may be used in place of -eq. The (nonstandard) construct -l string, meaning the length of string, may be used in place of an integer. a -nt b True if file a is newer than (modified after) file b. a -ot b True if file a is older than (modified before) file b. f -older t True if file f is older than (modified before) time t. If t is a integer followed by the letters y(years), M(months), d(days), h(hours), m(minutes), or s(seconds), it represents current time minus the specified time. If there is no letter, it represents seconds since epoch. You can also concatenate mixed units. For example, 3d12h means three days and twelve hours ago. These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! unary negation operator -o binary or operator -a binary and operator; higher precedence than -o ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. The primitives -b, -u, -g, and -s return false; they are recognized for compatibility with POSIX. Notice that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to test. Notice also that parentheses and equal signs are meaningful to rc and must be enclosed in quotes. EXAMPLES
Test is a dubious way to check for specific character strings: it uses a process to do what an rc(1) match or switch statement can do. The first example is not only inefficient but wrong, because test understands the purported string "-c" as an option. if (test $1 '=' "-c") echo OK # wrong! A better way is if (~ $1 -c) echo OK Test whether is in the current directory. test -f abc -o -d abc SOURCE
/src/cmd/test.c SEE ALSO
rc(1) TEST(1)