Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Does awk have parameter substitution? Post 302942728 by Michael Stora on Thursday 30th of April 2015 08:19:04 PM
Old 04-30-2015
Does awk have parameter substitution?

Can I specify a default value to a variable in AWK like BASH in one statement using parameter substitution?

BASH example:
Code:
argument=${$1-"default if empty"} (BASH)

I know I can do:
Code:
argument=$1; sub ( "^$", "default if empty", argument) (AWK)

Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk variable substitution

for the command below, it looks for the 3rd field value matching "P" and printing it. awk '{if ($3 == "P") print}' file how would i express this if i use a loop to find more that 1 variable fro a list? this doesn't seem to work... cat list | while read n do awk '{if ($3 == "$n") print}'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apalex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filed substitution with awk

guys, I'm trying to 9k lines of the following: aaa aaa 1 1 1 to aaa aaa 1 01 1 Im pretty ignorant when it comes to subtituting fields using awk any help ? Tony (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tony3101
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK substitution

I need to copy field 2 to field 3 for only those records that have the 1st field equal to account e.g. file account|123|789|xxx|yyy|zzz|... account_group|444|555|xxx|yy|zz|.... account|456|901|aaa|bbb|ccc|..... after running awk script should look like account|123|123|xxx|yyy|zzz|...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: klut
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with awk substitution

Hi again. A have a CSV-file in the following format: 2008.09.01,15:17:42,9227096485,9233175320,CTC10,SMS,0901151742098314,Target_MSIS DN_is_blacklisted I want to have an awk command that will say: If the first 3 digits of $4 does not begin with 922 or 923, then make $8 say "Invalid... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daytripper1021
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using awk/gawk

Hello, I have a file containing lines such as: (1 104 (16) (17) (18) (102))$ (1 105 (16) (17) (19:21) (102))$ I would like to extract the numbers, only by using awk (or gawk). I do not want to use "sed" as it is very slow. For now my solution consists in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parameter substitution with alias

Hello, in my .bashrc I tried to setup some aliases. alias scp_cmd="scp -P 8888 $1 me@somehost:." is supposed to copy a local file to somehost via scp. However it seems that the command line substitution does not work here. However this works: alias lst="ls -l $1" The above scp command can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strobotta
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution in AWK

I am trying to use AWK to replace dallinux02 to dallinux03 everywhere in the servers.txt file and move it over to "awk2". Here is my script "awk2.awk": gsub(/dallinux02/, "dallinux03"); print > "awk2" I am trying to run this using the following: $ awk -f awk2.awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ora_umair
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter substitution with##

Hi experts I want to use the parameter substitution in the bash with ## to get a=mfs1000 (not the "mfs" maybe other string and the length is not the same" I want to get 1000 any help? I don't know use which pattern I use echo ${a##*} It doesn't work Lei (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk substitution

Hi all, I need some help with substitution in awk. Is it possible to substitute field from awk output with string from file? For example: zcat /SMS/CDR/cdr_TC/callLogs*_*_2013092710*.gz | sed 's/:/;/g' | awk -F";" '{if($2==1 && $10~/389123456789/) print $36";"$37}' 2;19733248 I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter substitution is not working with sed

I am trying add a prefix variable(string) to command output. sed parameter substitution is not working. - I have found some issues on my end of testing,, please delete this thread for now. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
1 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)