Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed replace to rename each line a file Post 302942555 by RudiC on Wednesday 29th of April 2015 03:24:24 PM
Old 04-29-2015
Closing the output files would help:
Code:
awk '{print > $NF; close($NF)}' file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a line in a file with sed

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will replace "PermitEmptyPasswords yes" with "PermitEmptyPasswords no". The following does not seem to work: - sed 's!/"PermitEmptyPasswords yes"/!/"PermitEmptyPasswords no"/!' Appreciate any ideas. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtech3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search and replace a particular line in file with sed command

Hello, I have a file and in that, I want to search for a aprticular word and then replace another word in the same line with something else. Example: In file abc.txt, there is a line <host oa_var="s_hostname">test</host> I want to search with s_hostname text and then replace test with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshah1001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace characters in next line with input from a file

Hi, I have a set of strings in filea. I want to search string xyz in fileb and replace next line in file b with the content from filea. #cat filea abc def ghi #cat fileb asdkjdslka sajljskdjoi xyzjjjjkko aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb cccccccc xyzsdsajd dddddddd eeeeeeee (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilvk
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with modified line in same file

i have few lines in a file... i am reading them in a while loop so a particular line is held is $line1.. consider a modified line is held in $line2.... i want to replace $line1 with $line2 in the same file... how to do it..? i have come up till the below code sed "s/$line1/$line2/g" tmpfile.sql... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with 2 or more different lines in same file

i have something like this... cat filename.txt <complexType name="abc"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > <complexType name="def"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > . . .and so on.. its a very large file (11 Replies)
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line from another file containing a string

Hi experts, In my text file I have the following alot of lines like below. input.k is as follows. 2684717 -194.7050476 64.2345581 150.6500092 0 0 2684718 -213.1575623 62.7032242 150.6500092 0 0 *INCLUDE $# filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace specific positions on line with file contents

Hi, I am trying to use an awk command to replace specific character positions on a line beginning with 80 with contents of another file. The line beginning with 80 in file1 is as follows: I want to replace the 000000000178800 (positions 34 - 49) on this file with the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwalsh88
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
fb.modes(8)						     Linux frame buffer utils						       fb.modes(8)

NAME
fb.modes - frame buffer modes file DESCRIPTION
/etc/fb.modes contains an unlimited number of video mode descriptions. The general format of a video mode is: mode geometry <xres> <yres> <vxres> <vyres> <depth> timings <pixclock> <left> <right> <upper> <lower> <hslen> <vslen> options <value> endmode OPTIONS
geometry options: xres visible horizontal resolution (in pixels) yres visible vertical resolution (in pixels) vxres virtual horizontal resolution (in pixels) vyres virtual vertical resolution (in pixels) depth display depth (in bits per pixel) timing options: pixclock length of one pixel (in picoseconds) left left margin (in pixels) right right margin (in pixels) upper upper margin (in pixel lines) lower lower margin (in pixel lines) hslen horizontal sync length (in pixels) vslen vertical sync length (in pixel lines) other options: the first value of this options is the default hsync {low|high} the horizontal sync polarity vsync {low|high} the vertical sync polarity csync {low|high} the composite sync polarity extsync {false|true} enable or disable external resync. If enabled the sync timings are not generated by the frame buffer device and must be pro- vided externally instead. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device laced {false|true} enable or disable interlace. If enabled the display will be split in two frames, each frame contains only even and odd lines respectively. These two frames will be displayed alternating, this way twice the lines can be displayed and the vertical fre- quency for monitor stays the same, but the visible vertical frequency gets halved double {false|true} enable or disable doublescan. If enabled every line will be displayed twice and this way the horizontal frequency can easily be doubled, so that the same resolution can be displayed on different monitors, even if the horizontal frequency specifica- tion differs. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device INTERNALS
Generally a frame buffer display is organized as follows: +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 5 | | | | | v | | | +---#################---+---+ | # ^ # | | | # | # | | | # | # | | | 1 # | 2 # 3 | 4 | |<->#<------+------>#<->|<->| | # | # | | | # | 6 # | | | # | # | | | # v # | | +---#################---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 7 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 8 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ 1 left margin 2 xres 3 right margin 4 horizontal sync len 5 upper margin 6 yres 7 lower margin 8 vertical sync len The area bordered with `#' is the visible display area. Horizontal and vertical frequencies can now easily be calculated, for this the sum of horizontal or vertical values are important htotal = left + xres + right + hslen vtotal = upper + yres + lower + vslen The length of one line can now be calculated with pixclock line = pixclock * htotal and we have the horizontal frequency hfreq = 1E12 / line = 1E12 / (pixclock * htotal) To get the vertical frequency vtotal must eventually adjusted. If the display is laced, vtotal must be halved or if the display is a dou- blescan one, vtotal must be doubled. Now we can calculate the length of one frame if (lace) vtotal /= 2 if (double) vtotal *= 2 frame = vtotal * line and we get also the vertical frequency vfreq = 1E12 / frame = hfreq / vtotal SEE ALSO
fbset(8), fbdev(4) local Aug 1996 fb.modes(8)