Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passing variables to mkuser
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing variables to mkuser Post 302942421 by bubbawuzhere on Tuesday 28th of April 2015 03:53:13 PM
Old 04-28-2015
Thanks for the reply blackrageous! Stuck an echo in and USERID looks good. Also echo'ed the return code ($?) afterwards (RC=22), but Uncle Google isn't telling me much on it...

Code:
Executing mkuser command...
pgrp=ACRGENU groups=ACRGENU home=/home/lbubba shell=/usr/bin/ksh gecos='Bubba Jones' login=true su=false rlogin=true daemon=true admin=false sugroups=ALL tpath=nosak ttys=ALL expires=0 auth1=SYSTEM auth2=NONE umask=22 registry=files SYSTEM=compat loginretries=5 pwdwarntime=5 account_locked=false minage=0 maxage=12 maxexpired=1 minalpha=5 minother=2 mindiff=3 maxrepeats=3 minlen=8 histexpire=26 histsize=10 fsize=-1 cpu=-1 data=-1 stack=-1 core=-1 rss=-1 nofiles=-1 stack_hard=-1 unsuccessful_login_count=0 lbubba
Usage: mkuser [-R load_module] [-a] "attr=value" ... newuser
ERROR: MKUSER command failed with return code 22

---------- Post updated at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:26 PM ----------

A little more info... I've found the issue seems to be the single quotes around the "gecos=" attribute. If exclude the
Code:
gecos='${USERNAME}'

attribute, then it works. However, if I cut/paste the echo output (including the gecos attribute) behind a mkuser on the command line, it runs. For some reason, it doesn't like the single quotes inside the variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to AWK

Does anybody have an explanation for the following: The following scripts runs fine on IRIX64 6.5 but has bugs on Solaris 8. #! /bin/sh echo run only on an SGI machine echo type in linenumber read j echo value read value awk -f rmspass2 level=$value $j'step1.mlf' When the script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AreaMan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables

Hi, Is there any way to pass variable to a sed script.For awk we have -v option.like that do we have any way to pass variable to a sed script from a awk script or from normal script? Thanx, sounder (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk - Passing variables

Hi, I am passing the varibale using nawk -v to search the pattern from the file. But this variable is not accepting. I couldn't get the crrect output. Help me regarding..... nawk -v PGMNAME="$prog" ' { $0 ~ /PGMNAME/ { .................. ................. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing 2 variables

Hi All, I need to pass 2 variables name 'vamskt' and 'vamsi'. Here is my question: delete from gpi.usergroup where usg_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.userroles where uro_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.user where usr_id in ('vamskt'); insert into gpi.user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvamsikiran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing two variables to function

HI ,I am a new in Bash and ,I dont know how to pass a second parameter to this fuction,if the name of the passed argument is num works fine,but if I try to pass secondNum,dont recognized it thanks function check() { if(($(echo ${#num}) == 0 )) then echo No arguments passed.Try... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables between sub-scripts

I have written a program for some data analysis. It is gettin long. I would like to restructure it so that i can have a master file which controls multiple subscripts in order to make it easier to understand. I need to be able to define variables in the master script which are used by all three... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables and setting them

So I'm writing a script to generate pairwise scores for how similar two strings are, and while I've been able to get it to work on a single script, I've been unable to iterate it. So suppose I have a file thus 1234567890 1234567890 1234567899 first I need to assign two lines, by their... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables

I have below data: DAY1=10202013 I am trying below but not getting the desired output: COUNT=1 DATE=DAY$COUNT echo "Date is $DATE" However output I am getting is: Date is DAY1 I wanted the output as: Date is 10202013 I tried following as well: DAY1=10202013 COUNT=1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyr1985
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
asadmin-get(1AS)						   User Commands						  asadmin-get(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-get, get - gets the values of the monitorable or configurable attributes SYNOPSIS
get --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s] [--passwordfile filename] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] [--monitor=false] dotted_attribute_name Gets the values of attributes. If the --monitor option is set to true, the monitorable attributes are returned. If the --monitor option is set to false, the configurable attribute values are returned. On Solaris, quotes are needed when executing commands with * as the option value or operand. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. --monitor defaults to false; if set to false, the configurable attribute values are returned. If set to true, the monitorable attribute values are returned. OPERANDS
attributename attribute name in the dotted notation. Example 1: Using get asadmin> get --user admin --password adminadmin --host localhost --port 4848 "server.resources.jdbc-resource.jdbc/PointBase.*" server.resources.jdbc-resource.jdbc/PointBase.description=<null> server.resources.jdbc-resource.jdbc/PointBase.enabled=true server.resources.jdbc-resource.jdbc/PointBase.jndi-name=jdbc/PointBase server.resources.jdbc-resource.jdbc/PointBase.object-type=user server.resources.jdbc-resource.jdbc/PointBase.pool-name=PointBasePool EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-set(1AS), asadmin-list(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-get(1AS)