Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Handle special characters in awk -F Post 302942347 by vibhor_agarwali on Tuesday 28th of April 2015 12:54:25 AM
Old 04-28-2015
Thanks
Works good with the initial tests.

Will integrate this with our main logic & get back in case of any issues.
Thanks again Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed with special characters

i have this script that searches for a pattern. However it fails if the pattern includes some special characters. So far, it fails with the following strings: 1. -Cr 2. $Mj 3. H'412 would a sed or awk be more effective? i don't want the users to put the (\) during the search (they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling special characters using awk

Hi all, How do I extract a value without special characters? I need to extract the value of %Used from below and if its greater than 80, need to send a notification. I am doing this right now..Its giving 17%..Is there a way to extract the value and assign it to a variable in one step? df |grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print $1 escape all special characters

I'm using awk '{print $1}' and it works most of the time to print the contents of a mysql query loop, but occationally I get a field with some special character in it, is there a way to tell awk to ignore all special characters between my FS? I have >186K records, so building a list of ALL special... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop: display special characters

Hi everybody; I have a code and this fetches data from first.txt,modify it and outputs it to second.txt file. l awk 'NR>1 {print "l ./gcsw "$1" lt all lset Data="$2" Value "$3}' /home/gcsw/first.txt > /home/gcsw/second.txt this outputs as: l ./gcsw 123 lt all lset Data=456 Value 789 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters

Hello All, I am here again scratching my head on pattern selection with special characters. I have a large file having around 200 entries and i have to select a single line based on a pattern. I am able to do that: Code: cat mytest.txt | awk -F: '/myregex/ { print $2}' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for removing special characters and extra commas

Hi, I have a .csv file which as empty lines with comma and some special characters in 3rd column as below. Source data 1,2,3,4,%#,6 ,,,,,, 1,2,3,4,5,6 Target Data 1,2,3,4,5,6I need to remove blank lines and special charcters I am trying to get this using the below awk awk -F","... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk match shell variable that contains special characters?

How to match a shell variable that contains parenthesis (and other special characters like "!") file.txt contains: Charles Dickens Matthew Lewis (writer) name="Matthew Lewis (writer)"; awk -v na="$name" ' $0 ~ na' file.txt Ideally this would match $name in file.txt (in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditions failing (special characters?)

This is really frustrating because I can't figure it out. I'm running a health check script. One of the items I'm checking is the amount of memory on a server. I use the free command, which outputs something like this (excerpt) Mem: 100 100 100 100 Swap: 100 100 100 100 In my debugging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustaDude
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: split column if special characters

Hi, I've data like these: Gene1,Gene2 snp1 Gene3 snp2 Gene4 snp3 I'd like to split line if comma and then print remaining information for the respective gene. My code: awk '{ if($1 ~ /,/){ n = split($0, t, ",") (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)