Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Handle special characters in awk -F Post 302942342 by vibhor_agarwali on Monday 27th of April 2015 10:11:36 PM
Old 04-27-2015
Quote:
OK. So we now know that you have to variables. Let's call them WholePath and TrailingPath . And, you want to set another variable (let's call it ParentPath ) to the initial part of $WholePath with the contents of $TrailingPath removed from its end.
Bingo, the precise requirement.

1. OS are FreeBSD & Ubuntu Linux 12.x
2. Bash
3. Version 3.2.39 & higher
4. That's not a mandate. TrailingPath can or cannot be present in the WholePath

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed with special characters

i have this script that searches for a pattern. However it fails if the pattern includes some special characters. So far, it fails with the following strings: 1. -Cr 2. $Mj 3. H'412 would a sed or awk be more effective? i don't want the users to put the (\) during the search (they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling special characters using awk

Hi all, How do I extract a value without special characters? I need to extract the value of %Used from below and if its greater than 80, need to send a notification. I am doing this right now..Its giving 17%..Is there a way to extract the value and assign it to a variable in one step? df |grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print $1 escape all special characters

I'm using awk '{print $1}' and it works most of the time to print the contents of a mysql query loop, but occationally I get a field with some special character in it, is there a way to tell awk to ignore all special characters between my FS? I have >186K records, so building a list of ALL special... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop: display special characters

Hi everybody; I have a code and this fetches data from first.txt,modify it and outputs it to second.txt file. l awk 'NR>1 {print "l ./gcsw "$1" lt all lset Data="$2" Value "$3}' /home/gcsw/first.txt > /home/gcsw/second.txt this outputs as: l ./gcsw 123 lt all lset Data=456 Value 789 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters

Hello All, I am here again scratching my head on pattern selection with special characters. I have a large file having around 200 entries and i have to select a single line based on a pattern. I am able to do that: Code: cat mytest.txt | awk -F: '/myregex/ { print $2}' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for removing special characters and extra commas

Hi, I have a .csv file which as empty lines with comma and some special characters in 3rd column as below. Source data 1,2,3,4,%#,6 ,,,,,, 1,2,3,4,5,6 Target Data 1,2,3,4,5,6I need to remove blank lines and special charcters I am trying to get this using the below awk awk -F","... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk match shell variable that contains special characters?

How to match a shell variable that contains parenthesis (and other special characters like "!") file.txt contains: Charles Dickens Matthew Lewis (writer) name="Matthew Lewis (writer)"; awk -v na="$name" ' $0 ~ na' file.txt Ideally this would match $name in file.txt (in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditions failing (special characters?)

This is really frustrating because I can't figure it out. I'm running a health check script. One of the items I'm checking is the amount of memory on a server. I use the free command, which outputs something like this (excerpt) Mem: 100 100 100 100 Swap: 100 100 100 100 In my debugging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustaDude
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: split column if special characters

Hi, I've data like these: Gene1,Gene2 snp1 Gene3 snp2 Gene4 snp3 I'd like to split line if comma and then print remaining information for the respective gene. My code: awk '{ if($1 ~ /,/){ n = split($0, t, ",") (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
7 Replies
SVN-BISECT(1)						      General Commands Manual						     SVN-BISECT(1)

NAME
svn-bisect - Bisect Subversion revisions to find a regression SYNOPSIS
svn-bisect start [good_rev [bad_rev]] svn-bisect {good|bad} [rev] svn-bisect run command svn-bisect reset svn-bisect status DESCRIPTION
svn-bisect helps to automate finding a bug or behavior change in a Subversion working copy. Given an initial "good" revision, with the desired or original behavior, and a newer "bad" revision, with the undesired or modified behavior, svn-bisect will do a binary search through the revision range to find which revision caused the change. svn-bisect must be initialized in a working copy, with svn-bisect start. It also needs to be given at least one good revision (the base- line) and one bad revision (known modified behavior) revision. Sub-commands: start Initializes or reinitializes svn-bisect; optionally takes good and bad revision parameters. good rev bad rev Tells svn-bisect that a revision is good or bad, defining or narrowing the search space. If not specified, revision defaults to the current revision in the working copy. svn-bisect will then update to a revision halfway between the new good and bad boundaries. If this update crosses a point where a branch was created, it switches in or out of the branch. reset Resets the working copy to the revision and branch where svn-bisect start was run. In the simple case this is equivalent to rm -r .svn-bisect; svn update, but not if it has crossed branches, and not if you did not start at the HEAD revision. In any case, svn-bisect never keeps track of mixed-revision working copies, so do not use svn-bisect in a working copy that will need to be restored to mixed revisions. status Prints a brief status message. run command Runs the bisection in a loop. You must have already defined initial good and bad boundary conditions. Each iteration through the loop runs command as a shell command (a single argument, quoted if necessary) on the chosen revision, then marks the revision as good or bad, based on the exit status of command. EXAMPLES
Assume you are trying to find which revision between 1250 and 1400 caused the make check command to fail. svn-bisect start 1250 1400 svn-bisect run 'make check' svn-bisect reset ENVIRONMENT
SVN The Subversion command-line program to call (default svn). FILES
.svn-bisect The directory containing state information, removed after a successful bisection. SEE ALSO
git-bisect(1). AUTHOR
Written by Robert Millan and Peter Samuelson, for the Debian Project (but may be used by others). 2009-10-22 SVN-BISECT(1)