Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed one liner to Delete blank lines - Help required Post 302942259 by TomG on Monday 27th of April 2015 01:32:29 AM
Old 04-27-2015
sed one liner to Delete blank lines - Help required

Hi,

Code:
cat test.txt
BlankLine
BlankLine
BlankLine
BlankLine
ello
hi
helo
BlankLine
BlankLine
heylo
BlankLine
BlankLine
BlankLine
done
BlankLine
BlankLine
BlankLine

The above is the content of the file.(blank lines in between lines,at the begining of file and at the end of the file)

I am applying the following sed command

Code:
 sed '/^$/N;/\n$/D' test.txt

the output is

Code:
BlankLine
ello
hi
helo
BlankLine
heylo
BlankLine
done

Note : inorder to represent a blank line i have used 'BlankLine'.
My doubt is how 1 blank line in begining and 1 blank line in between the lines are preserved. Also all blank lines at the end are removed.

Can anyone please explain this.?

Thank You

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete blank lines or lines with spaces only

hi there i'm trying to delete blank lines and or lines with spaces only from a series of files in an directory. to do so, i'm using this: for files in `ls /users/myname/pesop* 2>/dev/null` do grep -v ^$ $files > newfile mv newfile $files done now, this works great for blank lines but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete blank lines with sed

I have a text file with blank lines fullfilled with spaces and others only containing the "Enter" caracter, the \012. I would like to eliminate all them with the sed command. Is it possible? making: sed '/^$/d' <file should delete the blank lines but doesn't work for the lines that only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmxps
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why cant i delete blank lines?

I have a sed pipeline: myVar=$(cat $FILE | sed -n '/regex/,/regex/{/regex/d;p}' | sed -n '/regex/!p' | sed -e s/*:// | sed /regex/,+8d \ ) sed '/^$/d' sed '/./!d' And i've tried to add that in a different order rather then just on the end..Why isnt it deleting all the blank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omgsomuchppl
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed one-liner to print specific lines?

I need to print specific lines from a file, say 2-5, 8, 12-15, 17, 19, 21-27. How do I achieve this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed delete blank lines upto first pattern match

Hi Im trying to do the following in sed. I want to delete any blank line at the start of a file until it matches a pattern and then stops. for example: Input output: I have got it to work within a range of two patterns with the following: sed '/1/,/pattern/{/^]*$/d}' The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed one Liner inverse range match-help required

cat test.txt a c d e g (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns

Hi all, I'm looking for a way (sed or awk) to delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns ex: user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 16... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)