Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Maxdepth option of find command not working Post 302942093 by TomG on Friday 24th of April 2015 07:25:21 AM
Old 04-24-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
The find -depth primary produces a post-order walk of the file hierarchy instead of the default pre-order walk; it has no effect on how deep find goes as it walks the hierarchy. To get what TomG requested, just using standard find primaries, try:
Code:
find . \( -type d ! -name . -prune \) -o \( -type f -size 0 -print \)

or if the name of the directory being searched was specified by a variable:
Code:
find "$dir" \( -type d ! -name "$dir" -prune \) -o \( -type f -size 0 -print \)

Hi Don,

Can you please tell me why -o is used. I am confused,because both conditions in the brackets have to be satisfied right. So can we use an 'and' condition.

Thank You

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Why does the 'ps' command with -u option not working?

How can I use the 'ps' command to view current sessions but only for a given process/user, with the -u parm? In older versions of Unix, this used to work, but not in Sun Solaris. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

-s option to find object exists not working.

is there a direct command to find whether directory is empty, -s option doesn't seem to work. Mark. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markjason
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

For ls command,-r option is not working on OSF1

There r 2 servers. Lets call them S1 and S2.. S1 is OSF1 and S2 is SunOS.. One directory of S2 is mounted on S1. say abc/xyz There is one application which continuously put xml files in that directory (on S2). If we give command “ls -lrt” on S2 it gives proper output.. (i.e. gives list... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asmita
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris find without maxdepth

Hi, I am using Solaris 5.8 I searched online, the find command has an option called maxdepth which can be used to limit the number of directories find will look into. find . -maxdepth 2 -type f When I run the above command in solaris, I get an error find: bad option -maxdepth find:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with find command and prune option

Hi I have a directory say mydir and inside it there are many files and subdirectories and also a directory called lost+found owned by root user I want to print all files directories and subdirectorres from my directory using find command except lost+found If i do find . \( -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

who command option not working

Running HP 11.31 on a HP3600. But when I log in as a user the who command works but if I use an option like "who -m" I get nothing. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMRWHUNTER
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

daystart option not working in find command

Hi, I am trying to list all the files created / modified today in a directory. With reference to this thread, https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/20324-capture-all-today-files.html I have used the below command to list all the files modified today. find . -daystart -type f... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please suggest me a better option than FIND command

Hi All, Could you please help me in searching files in a better way satisfying the below conditions I want to search files in a path whose access time is more than 5min and less than 60 min and whose Byte size is greater than zero For this, i am using the below command, but it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maxdepth command not working in AIX.Need alternative solution for this command

Hi All, I am trying to select 30 days older files under current directory ,but not from subdirectory using below command. find <Dir> -type f -mtime + 30 This command selecting all the files from current directory and also from sub directory . I read some documention through internet ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kommineni
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with 'find . -maxdepth 1 -ctime -7 -type f'?

Have you tried running the command below? On the same RHEl 6.8 or 6.6. It will give you different output. find . -maxdepth 1 -ctime -7 -type f rpm -qa|grep find findutils-4.4.2-9.el6.x86_64 # cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.8 (Santiago) # (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
6 Replies
Pod::Abstract::Filter::find(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Pod::Abstract::Filter::find(3pm)

NAME
Pod::Abstract::Filter::find - paf command to find specific nodes that contain a string. DESCRIPTION
The intention of this filter is to allow a reduction of large Pod documents to find a specific function or method. You call "paf find -f=function YourModule", and you get a small subset of nodes matching "function". For this to work, there has to be some assumptions about Pod structure. I am presuming that find is not useful if it returns anything higher than a head2, so as long as your module wraps function doco in a head2, head3, head4 or list item, we're fine. If you use head1 then it won't be useful. In order to be useful as an end user tool, head1 nodes (...) are added between the found nodes. This stops perldoc from dying with no documentation. These can be easily stripped using: "$pa->select('/head1')", then hoist and detach, or reparent to other Node types. A good example of this working as intended is: paf find select Pod::Abstract::Node AUTHOR
Ben Lilburne <bnej@mac.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2009 Ben Lilburne This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-03 Pod::Abstract::Filter::find(3pm)