Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk and rename ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk and rename ? Post 302942031 by sabercats on Thursday 23rd of April 2015 08:47:40 PM
Old 04-23-2015
awk and rename ?

I have a log file from /m/n/o/A.log with 1 line
current content: 19518634,SW,windows_x86_64
and an folder from /x/y/z/testit_folder
How do you write a shell script to rename test_folder to changed_monthdate_19518634

If today is 04/23 the name should be changed_0423_19518634
Thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I rename the following=-^

I have a file named -^, I want to look at it, rename, etc. Any help out there?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj78
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename

hi, im doin an assignment which requires you to build a shell script to do the MS DOS style equivilant (sp?) of the rename function. What i have to do is a loop which checks the following rules and output messages (same): Can't have anything after target Can't have more than one dot Can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bohoo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and rename files

I have a file test1.html like below: <dctm_topnav_en_US> <html> ..... </html> <dctm_topnav_en_CA> <html> ..... </html> <dctm_topnav_en_FR> <html> ..... </html> I need to use awk to split this into three file names like en_US.html , en_CA.html, en_FR.html each having content between... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay52
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed or Awk usage to rename string

I have gotten myself totally lost trying to sort this out and just need some help please.. I will have a multiple directories using the following naming convention with an undetermined number of files in each directory. 9780743582094_05of5_Accountable.wav I need to batch rename all files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using sed or awk

I have a filename like 1_DATE_3_4.5_888 and I want to modify the date field (ie the last 4 digits ) alone and remove the last field. Old filename:1_DATE_3_4.5_888 Given date (for eg):120606259532 modified date:120606259899 new filename:1_<modified date>_3.4.5 (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy88
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combination awk and rename

Hello, i wondering if anybody can help me with the following: doing a search for the words "Sample ID:" in a file called test.txt and I need to have the string after this (Postmatch) Then I want that the string is used to rename an other file called test.pdf into .... the string.pdf I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcdok
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using rename

I want to rename files Files show like this 1977SSD_rsdtst.pdf 1976SDP_rstdtsr.pdf 1943FDT_rstdsrt.pdf 1996DFF_stdstrd.pdf I want to introduce _ after the year, and move the characters to the end to get 1977_rsdtst_SSD.pdf 1976_rstdtsr_SDP.pdf 1943_rstdsrt_FDT.pdf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Rename output file, after processing, same as input file

I have one input file ABC.txt and one output DEF.txt. After the ABC is processed and created output, I want to rename ABC.txt to ABC.orig and DEF to ABC.txt. Currently when I am doing this, it does not process the input file as it cannot read and write to the same file. How can I achieve this? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : split file and rename and save in path according to content

Hello, I'm using Windows 7 ; sed, awk and gnuwin32 are installed. I have a big text file I need to manipulate. In short, I will have to split it in thousands of short files, then rename and save in a folder which name is based upon filename. Here is a snippet of my big input.txt file (this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sellig
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count and rename based on fields

In the below awk using the tab-delimited input, I am trying count the - symbol in $5 and output the count as well as the renamed condition ins. I am also count the - symbol in $6 and output the count as well as the renamed condition del. I am also count the tomes that in $5 and $6 there are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
RENAME(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - renames multiple files SYNOPSIS
rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ] DESCRIPTION
"rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified as the first argument. The perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the filenames specified. If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be renamed. If no filenames are given on the command line, filenames will be read via standard input. For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the extension, you might say rename 's/.bak$//' *.bak To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed. -n, --no-act No Action: show what files would have been renamed. -f, --force Force: overwrite existing files. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables are used. AUTHOR
Larry Wall SEE ALSO
mv(1), perl(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If you give an invalid Perl expression you'll get a syntax error. BUGS
The original "rename" did not check for the existence of target filenames, so had to be used with care. I hope I've fixed that (Robin Barker). perl v5.14.2 2014-09-26 RENAME(1)