Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX break rootvg mirror from system down Post 302942030 by sshapiro on Thursday 23rd of April 2015 07:43:33 PM
Old 04-23-2015
AIX break rootvg mirror from system down

Hello,
aix 5.2, mirrored rootvg on hdisk0 and hdisk1. hdisk0 is dead. I can boot to cd, into sms, into maintenance mode. I can fsck all the various partitions on hdisk1 (the hd4 hd2 hd3, etc...) all is fine. But without the hdisk0 part of the mirror I cannot get the system to boot. ystem hangs on boot with a LED code of 517 (or is it 518?).

None of the lvm commands for dealing with mirrors are in the cd /usr.

I tried editing the image.data file to remove references to hdisk0, and changed all the copies from 2 to 1, fixed the PP entries to match, and hoped that would break the mirrors, but alas.

So for kicks I mounted the "real" usr and now the commands are available, but now they won't work because rootvg cannot be varyonvg'd.
Code:
# lsvg -l rootvg
0516-013 : The volume group cannot be varied on because
        there are no good copies of the descriptor area.

Kind of stuck. suggestions?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags, thanks.

Last edited by zaxxon; 04-24-2015 at 06:17 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Break mirror so that it can be used later

Hello again, We need to install patches to HP-UX B.11.11 but would like to break the mirror it has (with out damaging it) so that in case of failure we can use this a meassure procedure. Any ideas on how to do this Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
2 Replies

2. Solaris

patch update and break mirror

Hi All, How do you know if you need to break the mirror on solaris 8 patch update? Here's the patch example, 117350-54. On the site, it's just a low type update and not a medium or critical. Is breaking a mirror a best practice only or really a requirement to some patch? Thanks, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

3. Solaris

break solaris mirror

Hi All, How do I break the solaris 8 mirror? And how do I make sure I will point the first hd mirror on reboot. If the first break mirror won't boot. How do I make the copy mirror to boot? Thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. AIX

mirror rootvg

Hello I have a question I have a box with Aix 5.3 with rootvg on mirror. I deleted a filesystem and I create a new one to install some software but when I type lsvg -l rootvg all my filesystems has mirror unless the new one. My question is I can mirror this fs only ??? or I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons

We are considering a DR strategy of booting AIX 5.3 and 5.3 logical partitions from EMC Symmetrix SAN disks, so that we can replicate via SRDF to a recovery site. Has anyone tried configuring AIX 5.x systems to boot from SAN disk? If so, can you provide any information on the pros and cons of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjgarrot
6 Replies

6. AIX

AIX Rootvg mirror and sysdumplv

Guys, In my AIX 6.1 box the rootvg was on hdisk2, I tried to migrated it to hdisk0 Added hisk0 to rootvg , mirrored rootvg and changed bootlist and and sucessfully rebooted from hdisk0 Now I tried to remove the hdisk2 from rootvg so breaked mirror -bash-3.00# unmirrorvg rootvg hdisk2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
3 Replies

7. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manager: Break Mirror and use to make a 2nd machine

Hello: I have a machine built on 2 drives and mirrors have been created to a second set of 2 drives (4 total) on the same platform. SVM. Might anyone provide guidance to create a second machine by breaking the mirrored set, moving the two mirrors (2) to another machine (same platform type),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 4dailyrunner
1 Replies

9. AIX

How to restore rootvg archive after AIX 6.1 crash

Hello, Few days ago I created both mksysb and savevg archives of rootvg. How can I restore this rootvg now because the AIX crashed during some software tests. There is no way to start from hdisk0 because most of the system files are deleted (this includes libc.a). I tough it will be trivial... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
6 Replies

10. Linux

LVM - break mirror taking out orignal copy

Hi Guys, I have a mirrored LVM volume, and wish to break the mirror leaving only copy1 (effectively removing copy 0). Here's the config: # lvs -a -o +devices lvdata vg01 mwi-ao 2.19T lvdata_mlog 100.00 lvdata_mimage_0(0),lvdata_mimage_1(0) vg01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
0 Replies
volencap(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       volencap(8)

NAME
volencap, volreconfig - Encapsulates disks, partitions, or AdvFS domains SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volencap [-g diskgroup] [-p volprefix] [privlen=nn] [nconfig=nn] { diskname | partition_name | domain_name }... /usr/sbin/volencap -k { diskname | partition_name | domain_name }... /usr/sbin/volencap -k -a /usr/sbin/volencap -s /sbin/volreconfig OPTIONS
Puts the encapsulated disk into the disk group specified by disk group ID or disk group name. Instructs volencap to use the specified vol- prefix as the prefix for LSM volume names generated. This is useful if the LSM volume names generated already exist. Instructs volencap to remove any pending encapsulation requests for the specified disk(s), partition(s), or domain(s). Instructs volencap to remove all pending encapsulation requests. Displays all pending encapsulation requests. DESCRIPTION
Disk partitions that have data can be added to LSM using the encapsulation process. This enables users with existing data in disk parti- tions to easily migrate to the use of LSM volumes instead of disk partitions. The /usr/sbin/volencap command is used to encapsulate one or many disk partitions or AdvFS domains. If an individual partition is specified for encapsulation, the volencap command creates a nopriv disk and a volume for that partition. If an entire disk is specified, the volencap command creates a nopriv disk and volume for each in-use partition on the disk. If an AdvFS domain is specified, all disk partitions in the domain are converted to LSM volumes. You can use the volencap command to encapsulate the partitions on the boot disk, including the root file system, primary swap, usr and var partitions, to place them under LSM control. See the Logical Storage Manager manual for more information on encapsulating these partitions. The volencap command can be run directly or through the voldiskadm menus. The volencap command generates LSM commands that are later exe- cuted by the /sbin/volreconfig command to perform the actual conversion of disk partitions to LSM volumes. If the disk partition contains a mounted file system or is otherwise open or in use, the volreconfig command will reboot the system to com- plete the encapsulation process. If you cannot reboot the system at the time you encapsulate the disk partition, either defer running the volreconfig command until you can reboot the system, or unmount or close the disk partition, then run the volreconfig command. See the Logical Storage Manager manual for more details. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the size of the LSM private region in bytes, for example, privlen=1024. Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=0. EXAMPLES
To encapsulate all disk partitions on the boot disk called dsk0 to LSM volumes, enter: # volencap dsk0 # volreconfig The volreconfig command will request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will execute as the system reboots. To encapsulate only the root file system (dsk0a) and swap (dsk0b) partitions on the boot disk, enter: # volencap dsk0a dsk0b # volreconfig The volreconfig command will request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will execute as the system reboots. To convert all disk partitions in the AdvFS domain called dom1 to LSM volumes, enter: # volencap dom1 # volreconfig The volreconfig command will determine if the domain is active, and if so, request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will execute as the system reboots. If the AdvFS filesets in domain dom1 are not mounted, then /sbin/volreconfig can be executed on the command line. To encapsulate the specific partition dsk1g to an LSM volume, enter: # volencap dsk1g # volreconfig The volreconfig command will determine if the partition is open, and if so, request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will be executed as the system reboots. SEE ALSO
volintro(8) volencap(8)