Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX break rootvg mirror from system down Post 302942030 by sshapiro on Thursday 23rd of April 2015 07:43:33 PM
Old 04-23-2015
AIX break rootvg mirror from system down

Hello,
aix 5.2, mirrored rootvg on hdisk0 and hdisk1. hdisk0 is dead. I can boot to cd, into sms, into maintenance mode. I can fsck all the various partitions on hdisk1 (the hd4 hd2 hd3, etc...) all is fine. But without the hdisk0 part of the mirror I cannot get the system to boot. ystem hangs on boot with a LED code of 517 (or is it 518?).

None of the lvm commands for dealing with mirrors are in the cd /usr.

I tried editing the image.data file to remove references to hdisk0, and changed all the copies from 2 to 1, fixed the PP entries to match, and hoped that would break the mirrors, but alas.

So for kicks I mounted the "real" usr and now the commands are available, but now they won't work because rootvg cannot be varyonvg'd.
Code:
# lsvg -l rootvg
0516-013 : The volume group cannot be varied on because
        there are no good copies of the descriptor area.

Kind of stuck. suggestions?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags, thanks.

Last edited by zaxxon; 04-24-2015 at 06:17 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Break mirror so that it can be used later

Hello again, We need to install patches to HP-UX B.11.11 but would like to break the mirror it has (with out damaging it) so that in case of failure we can use this a meassure procedure. Any ideas on how to do this Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
2 Replies

2. Solaris

patch update and break mirror

Hi All, How do you know if you need to break the mirror on solaris 8 patch update? Here's the patch example, 117350-54. On the site, it's just a low type update and not a medium or critical. Is breaking a mirror a best practice only or really a requirement to some patch? Thanks, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

3. Solaris

break solaris mirror

Hi All, How do I break the solaris 8 mirror? And how do I make sure I will point the first hd mirror on reboot. If the first break mirror won't boot. How do I make the copy mirror to boot? Thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. AIX

mirror rootvg

Hello I have a question I have a box with Aix 5.3 with rootvg on mirror. I deleted a filesystem and I create a new one to install some software but when I type lsvg -l rootvg all my filesystems has mirror unless the new one. My question is I can mirror this fs only ??? or I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons

We are considering a DR strategy of booting AIX 5.3 and 5.3 logical partitions from EMC Symmetrix SAN disks, so that we can replicate via SRDF to a recovery site. Has anyone tried configuring AIX 5.x systems to boot from SAN disk? If so, can you provide any information on the pros and cons of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjgarrot
6 Replies

6. AIX

AIX Rootvg mirror and sysdumplv

Guys, In my AIX 6.1 box the rootvg was on hdisk2, I tried to migrated it to hdisk0 Added hisk0 to rootvg , mirrored rootvg and changed bootlist and and sucessfully rebooted from hdisk0 Now I tried to remove the hdisk2 from rootvg so breaked mirror -bash-3.00# unmirrorvg rootvg hdisk2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
3 Replies

7. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manager: Break Mirror and use to make a 2nd machine

Hello: I have a machine built on 2 drives and mirrors have been created to a second set of 2 drives (4 total) on the same platform. SVM. Might anyone provide guidance to create a second machine by breaking the mirrored set, moving the two mirrors (2) to another machine (same platform type),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 4dailyrunner
1 Replies

9. AIX

How to restore rootvg archive after AIX 6.1 crash

Hello, Few days ago I created both mksysb and savevg archives of rootvg. How can I restore this rootvg now because the AIX crashed during some software tests. There is no way to start from hdisk0 because most of the system files are deleted (this includes libc.a). I tough it will be trivial... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
6 Replies

10. Linux

LVM - break mirror taking out orignal copy

Hi Guys, I have a mirrored LVM volume, and wish to break the mirror leaving only copy1 (effectively removing copy 0). Here's the config: # lvs -a -o +devices lvdata vg01 mwi-ao 2.19T lvdata_mlog 100.00 lvdata_mimage_0(0),lvdata_mimage_1(0) vg01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
0 Replies
lvsync(1M)																lvsync(1M)

NAME
lvsync - synchronize stale mirrors in LVM logical volumes SYNOPSIS
lv_path ... Remarks This command requires the installation of the optional HP MirrorDisk/UX software (not included in the standard HP-UX operating system) before it can be used. If the logical volume input arguments belong to a combination of volume groups version 1.0 and 2.0 or higher, the arguments may not be pro- cessed in the order they are listed on the command line. DESCRIPTION
The command synchronizes the physical extents of each logical volume specified by lv_path. Synchronization occurs only on physical extents that are stale mirrors of the original logical extent. The synchronization process can be time consuming, depending on the hardware char- acteristics and the amount of data. Arguments recognizes the following argument: lv_path The block device path name of a mirrored logical volume. Options recognizes the following option: Perform mirror synchronization of logical volumes within a volume group using multiple parallel threads. Logical volumes belonging to different volume groups will be synchronized serially. It is possible that logical volumes start and/or complete their synchronization in a different order than specified on the command line. The maximum number of threads used can be controlled using the system tunable. NOTE: This option has no effect if the volume group is activated in shared mode. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Synchronize the mirrors on a logical volume: Synchronize the mirrors on three logical volumes using multiple parallel threads: Add mirror copies using with the option for three logical volumes, and then synchronize mirrors on these three logical volumes using multi- ple parallel threads. First, add mirror copies to each logical volume using with the option: Now synchronize the mirrors on these three logical volumes using multiple parallel threads: SEE ALSO
lvdisplay(1M), lvextend(1M), vgsync(1M). Requires Optional HP MirrorDisk/UX Software lvsync(1M)