Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to append a string by cat and redirect to other file? Post 302941540 by RudiC on Friday 17th of April 2015 04:59:01 AM
Old 04-17-2015
Don't pipe the echo, connect the two by either ANDing them:
Code:
echo -n "kernel.sem =  " && cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem

or a group command (compound command):
Code:
{ echo -n "kernel.sem =  "; cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem; }

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append and redirect

Can somebody please explain to me what redirection (>) and append are? What is the difference between > and >>? Thank-you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable= 'cat file|wc -l' String problems

Hi, does anybody knows about wc -l, how to transform it inot a just number? this script ALWAYS executes the command3!!, However, the value of BMU_RUNNING is 1 case $BMU_RUNNING in *0) command1 ;; *1) command 2;; *)command 3;; esac The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santiago
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to redirect date with string command into txt file

Hello im trying to redirect the standard output into txt file but with combination of string if I do : date >! foo.txt there is no problem and im getting the date into the foo.txt but what should I do if I like to add string in the same command so the result will be in the txt : The date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append (cat) to beginning of file ?

Hi, Fairly new to unix scripting, hoping to get some help. using AIX v5 Basically I have 3 files 1). Header record 2). many detail record 3). Trailer record My desired result is 1 file which contains Heaeder, Detail, Trailer Currenty I am using a series of: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBZ
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect cat to variable

hello just i saw a really strange for cat i have file (file1) contains line /home/rajiv/proj1/*.txt now applied a commonds DDPATH="$(cat file1)" echo $DDPATH it shows all the txt files in that folder like /home/rajiv/proj1/read1.txt /home/rajiv/proj1/read2.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shailesh_arya
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i append a file name with a string

Hi All How can i append a file name with a string e.g. Lets say i have a file called ABC_TEST_1234_1.dat and i want to append the file name with a lets say 100 so the output file should look like ABC_100_TEST_1234_1.dat i have aroung 9000 file in a directory and want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nikhilindurkar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat redirect EOF missing text

Hello attempting to redirect out to create a startup script in solaris. The steps are working but the $1 entry is being left out. syntax below and content of output file below. cat > S99build << EOF > #!/bin/bash > case $1 in > 'start') > /usr/os-buildsol.sh > > ;; > esac > exit 0 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanb25
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and append new string after

Hi All, I'm trying to insert a string into a file at a specific location. I'd like to add a string after the parent::__construct(); in my file. <?php if (! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed'); class MY_Controller extends CI_Controller { function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjkilpatrick
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output of the file based on String

Hi, I need to redirect the output of the file until the first instance of a string is found. So in the filename output.txt i was to redirect everything from the start to where i find this string "BEA-000377" is found to a new file called output_new.txt Sample output.txt the controller... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies
SYSTEMD-SYSCTL.SERVICE(8)				      systemd-sysctl.service					 SYSTEMD-SYSCTL.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-sysctl.service, systemd-sysctl - Configure kernel parameters at boot SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl [OPTIONS...] [CONFIGFILE...] systemd-sysctl.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-sysctl.service is an early boot service that configures sysctl(8) kernel parameters by invoking /lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl. When invoked with no arguments, /lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl applies all directives from configuration files listed in sysctl.d(5). If one or more filenames are passed on the command line, only the directives in these files are applied. In addition, --prefix= option may be used to limit which sysctl settings are applied. See sysctl.d(5) for information about the configuration of sysctl settings. After sysctl configuration is changed on disk, it must be written to the files in /proc/sys before it takes effect. It is possible to update specific settings, or simply to reload all configuration, see Examples below. OPTIONS
--prefix= Only apply rules with the specified prefix. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Reset all sysctl settings systemctl restart systemd-sysctl Example 2. View coredump handler configuration # sysctl kernel.core_pattern kernel.core_pattern = |/libexec/abrt-hook-ccpp %s %c %p %u %g %t %P %I Example 3. Update coredump handler configuration # /lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl --prefix kernel.core_pattern This searches all the directories listed in sysctl.d(5) for configuration files and writes /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern. Example 4. Update coredump handler configuration according to a specific file # /lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl 50-coredump.conf This applies all the settings found in 50-coredump.conf. Either /etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf, or /run/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf, or /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf will be used, in the order of preference. See sysctl(8) for various ways to directly apply sysctl settings. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), sysctl.d(5), sysctl(8), systemd 237 SYSTEMD-SYSCTL.SERVICE(8)