Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash to delete file in directory Post 302941495 by Corona688 on Thursday 16th of April 2015 12:35:27 PM
Old 04-16-2015
find will not delete files if you don't put -delete into it. If you run it without the -delete it will only print names.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete Core file in root directory

HP UX 11i Ok my server is about to run out of space, and i would like to know if there is something that i should be doing on a regular basis to maintain the machine like logs that i should clear or dmp file that i should delete... Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to delete a file based on existing file in a directory

hi i am having four files in a directory.like 1)sampleRej 2)exampleRej 3)samplemain 4)examplemain my requirement is i have to search for the rejected files (sampleRej,exampleRej) in a directory.if these files in that directory then i have to delete the main files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find full directory and delete old dated file?

I want to write a code that will look for a particular directory which is full or more than 95% used, and will search older file and delete it. My code looks like this: df -k|while read f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 do if expr '$f5' -ge '95%' || continue then echo $f5 else echo "there is no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete all something.txt~ file from a directory

There are some files in a directory like a.tx~ , b.txt~,c.txt~. I want to delete all these files inside that directory and sub directory. How can i do this? #!/bin/bash cd thatdirectory ...... rm -rf *~ ...... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to delete this file/directory/entry

Hello UNIX gurus, I noticed this file or whatever in one of our directories, and somehow I am not able to proceed with my work, without deleting this one. .insert--- 1 siebload intrface 0 Feb 22 01:25 Testfile I am confused, as it doesnt appear to be a file, and on doing any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppathak1234
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete only particular file in directory shell script

Hi, what function do we use to delete only particular file that we want in directory shell script for example I want only to delete test.txt in directory how to do it ? in sh Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete File in a Directory Using a Condition

Hello, I have a directory with many files whose creation time is distributed all over the day. I need ANY 20 files per hour. So, I need 20 files for hour 00 20 files for hour 01 ... 20 files for hour 23 What I have done so far is not great. Here is the code: # get the Month a=`echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete .txt file from current directory

I have created few text file during run time by redirecting the txt file echo USER_LIST_"$(date '+%d%h%Y')".csv > report_location.txt report_location.txt is creating in the same location where I run script home/script When I try to remove the txt file at the end of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files from the directory except the ones in the log file

I have a log file with contents like below. Repository: https://someserver:9443/ Workspace: (1000) "test_scripts_ws" Component: (1001) "some_Automated_Scripts" Change sets: (1002) ---$ john "test memory" 17-Sep-2014 02:24 PM Changes: --a--... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching File in Directory and all Subdirectory and Delete

Hi All, My directory structure is like Directory1 SubDirectory1 SubDirectory2 SubDirectory3 I have main directories and subdirectories underneath. I want to write a shell script where I will be passing file name as a parameter, Now I want to find all the files in Directory1... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: John William
19 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)