Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Check for empty line at end of a dynamic header in each file Post 302941435 by Don Cragun on Thursday 16th of April 2015 03:54:46 AM
Old 04-16-2015
Yes, sed writes the results it produces to its standard output. If you want the output saved in a file, you can redirect its output.

What operating system and shell are you using?

All of your sample files have some lines containing <carriage-return> characters. Some (maybe all) of your sample files have some lines that do not contain <carriage-return> characters. If these lines did not contain <carriage-return> characters, the standards would call these blank lines. Are you trying to create output files in DOS format (with all lines terminated by <carriage-return><newline> or are you trying to create output files in UNIX format (no <carriage-return>, just <newline> as the line terminator)?

What is your definition for empty line? The standards define an empty line to be a line that only contains one character (the <newline> character that terminates that line). Some of your files contain lines that only contain lots of <tab> characters terminated by a <carriage-return><newline> character pair. Do you consider that to be an empty line? Some of the DOS format blank lines appear as line 2 or 3 and are followed by other lines that still appear to be part of your headings. Some of your DOS format blank lines appear after what seems to be that file's heading and before that file's data.

Do you want add an empty line to your output file between the 5th and 6th input lines from your input files and also suppress copying all blank lines from your input (after removing <carriage-return>s)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check position of end of line for some specific lines

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Have to check in a file that the lines starting with 620 and 705 are ending at same posiotin. 82012345 62023232323 70523949558 62023255454 9999 In the above lines, i have to check the lines starting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check position of end of line(URGENT PLS)

I Have to check in a file that all the lines are ending at same posiotin. Ex : line 1 is ending at position 88 line 2 should at same position i.e 88 Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evvander
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any commands to check the dynamic changes of a file

Hi guys i had a script which will generate a log file.Is there any commands to check the dynamic changes in the log file,i.e if i open the log file i should able to see the updating changes live...I hope u understand my query... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Spaces At end of each line Leaving Header and Footer

How to append constant No of spaces suppose 52 at end of each line in a file (xyz) excluding first and last line. Please Help me out for the same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Empty columns at the end of csv file

Hi, Can you please tell me how to add empty columns at the end csv file? Currently there are 6 columns in the csv file. I want to add 35 empty columns at the end of this csv file. Thanks, Tushar (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tushar Bendale
17 Replies

6. Programming

Why is required to leave an empty line at the end of a C program?

I know it looks like a stupid question, but i really wanna know the reason. Actually, i think it's because the c compiler will detect it as the end of file "EOF" of the program, but, am i wrong? because it compiles it anyway, but keep showing warnings like "no new line at the end of file". I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty lines at the end of a Tab-delimited file

I'm trying to remove all of the empty lines at the end of a Tab delimited file. They have no data just tabs. I've tried may things, here are a couple: sed /^\t.\t/d File1 > File2 sed /^\t{44}/d File1 > File2 What am I missing? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
9 Replies

8. Linux

Add empty columns at the end of a CSV file

I have a .CSV file (lets say named as file.csv) with numeric and string values. The string might contain commas hence they are enclosed in double quotes as in the below format. column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6,column7 12,455,"string, with, quotes, and with, commas, in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching the header of a .CSV file with dynamic field names

I have a .CSV file (frequency - weekly) whose header contains the year-week value in two of the columns which keeps changing every week. For an instance please see below. Column1,Column2,Column3,Column4,Column5,Column6,Column7,Column8,Column9,Column10,Column11,Column12,Column13,201420... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
4 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)