Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Check for empty line at end of a dynamic header in each file Post 302941369 by tpk on Wednesday 15th of April 2015 01:26:46 PM
Old 04-15-2015
Hi Rudic and disedorgue,

Thank You for your thoughts. Even I thought of similar options but nothing worked.

If we forget about the header, presuming that the header will not be more than 5 rows, how to add an empty line after 5th line in every file if there is no empty line.

Some times the requirements seem to be crazy which will make us mad spending hours Smilie

With Regards,
TPK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check position of end of line for some specific lines

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Have to check in a file that the lines starting with 620 and 705 are ending at same posiotin. 82012345 62023232323 70523949558 62023255454 9999 In the above lines, i have to check the lines starting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check position of end of line(URGENT PLS)

I Have to check in a file that all the lines are ending at same posiotin. Ex : line 1 is ending at position 88 line 2 should at same position i.e 88 Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evvander
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any commands to check the dynamic changes of a file

Hi guys i had a script which will generate a log file.Is there any commands to check the dynamic changes in the log file,i.e if i open the log file i should able to see the updating changes live...I hope u understand my query... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Spaces At end of each line Leaving Header and Footer

How to append constant No of spaces suppose 52 at end of each line in a file (xyz) excluding first and last line. Please Help me out for the same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Empty columns at the end of csv file

Hi, Can you please tell me how to add empty columns at the end csv file? Currently there are 6 columns in the csv file. I want to add 35 empty columns at the end of this csv file. Thanks, Tushar (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tushar Bendale
17 Replies

6. Programming

Why is required to leave an empty line at the end of a C program?

I know it looks like a stupid question, but i really wanna know the reason. Actually, i think it's because the c compiler will detect it as the end of file "EOF" of the program, but, am i wrong? because it compiles it anyway, but keep showing warnings like "no new line at the end of file". I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty lines at the end of a Tab-delimited file

I'm trying to remove all of the empty lines at the end of a Tab delimited file. They have no data just tabs. I've tried may things, here are a couple: sed /^\t.\t/d File1 > File2 sed /^\t{44}/d File1 > File2 What am I missing? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
9 Replies

8. Linux

Add empty columns at the end of a CSV file

I have a .CSV file (lets say named as file.csv) with numeric and string values. The string might contain commas hence they are enclosed in double quotes as in the below format. column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6,column7 12,455,"string, with, quotes, and with, commas, in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching the header of a .CSV file with dynamic field names

I have a .CSV file (frequency - weekly) whose header contains the year-week value in two of the columns which keeps changing every week. For an instance please see below. Column1,Column2,Column3,Column4,Column5,Column6,Column7,Column8,Column9,Column10,Column11,Column12,Column13,201420... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
4 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of | open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)