Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading between a repeated string Post 302941204 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 14th of April 2015 12:54:58 AM
Old 04-14-2015
I have no idea how you would get those 5 lines of output from the sample input you provided. And, you refused to answer most of the questions I asked. So, we have to assume that you have not made any attempt to solve this problem on your own, are not interested in learning how to solve problems on your own, and are only interested in using this forum as your unpaid programming staff.

So, here is a simple command that will produce the output you said you want on any operating system using any shell as long as you have permission to read your input file:
Code:
print "%s\n" "" 3 4 5 6 < /data/abc.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a string characterwise

hi , I am trying to read two strings character by character using arrays but i couldn't do it pls.give a solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akmtcs
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading and reversing a string

Hi Everyone....I am new to Unix and BASH programming...I just want to read a string and reverse it and display.....can anyone help me out???? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
8 Replies

3. Programming

Count the number of repeated characters in a given string

i have a string "dfasdfasdfadf" i want to count the number of times each character is repeated.. For instance, d is repeated 4 times, f is repeated 4 times.. can u give a program in c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a .dat file in to a string

i have folowing code. i dont want data in an array. i like to put my data file info (after filtering and converting to lower case) in to a string call "name". so it would look like this, name= ffjtgj345 thgkty3 456gfhf rhtfn4 ...... how do i do that? i dont want to read # or blank lines. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find repeated string in a text file

I have a text file where I need to find the string = ST*850* This string is repetaed several times in the file, so I need to know how many times it appears in the file, this is the text files: ISA*00* *00* *08*925485USNR *ZZ*IMSALADDERSP... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucosss
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove anything after repeated string pattern found

HI, Can anyone help me with a script. i/p calc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 calc 4 5 6 calc 7 8 9 o/p calc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 calc 4 5 6 i.e remove anything after where two times the string calc is found. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading XML and replacing a string

Hi All, My thanks in advance for you guys reading this and for any posts. I'm having 100 XML files, I need script which replace a specific string. It must be incrementing in 100 xml files.. Sample XML files: <hwIPHostName type="attrib">DEMO1</hwIPHostName> I need Demo1 to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karty2129
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find repeated word and take sum of the second field to it ,for all the repeated words in awk

Hi below is the input file, i need to find repeated words and sum up the values of it which is second field from the repeated work.Im trying but getting no where close to it.Kindly give me a hint on how to go about it Input fruits,apple,20,fruits,mango,20,veg,carrot,12,veg,raddish,30... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract every repeated string between two specific string?

Hello guys, I have problem with hpux shell script. I have one big text file that contains like SOH bla bla bla bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX What I need to do is save first SOH*BLA into file1.txt, save second SOH*BLA into file2.txt and so on.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to grep repeated string on the same line?

I have this a file.txt with one line, whose content is /app/jdk/java/bin/java -server -Xms3g -Xmx3g -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dweblogic.Name=O2pPod8_mapp_msrv1_1 -Djava.security.policy=/app/Oracle/Middleware/Oracle_Home/wlserver/server/lib/weblogic.policy -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lam
3 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							   Games Manual 						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic - provide drill in number facts SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/arithmetic [ +-x/ ] [ range ] DESCRIPTION
Arithmetic types out simple arithmetic problems, and waits for an answer to be typed in. If the answer is correct, it types back "Right!", and a new problem. If the answer is wrong, it replies "What?", and waits for another answer. After every twenty problems, it publishes statistics on correctness and the time required to answer. To quit the program, type an interrupt (delete). The first optional argument determines the kind of problem to be generated; +-x/ respectively cause addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems to be generated. One or more characters can be given; if more than one is given, the different types of problems will be mixed in random order; default is +-. Range is a decimal number; all addends, subtrahends, differences, multiplicands, divisors, and quotients will be less than or equal to the value of range. Default range is 10. At the start, all numbers less than or equal to range are equally likely to appear. If the respondent makes a mistake, the numbers in the problem which was missed become more likely to reappear. As a matter of educational philosophy, the program will not give correct answers, since the learner should, in principle, be able to calcu- late them. Thus the program is intended to provide drill for someone just past the first learning stage, not to teach number facts de novo. For almost all users, the relevant statistic should be time per problem, not percent correct. 7th Edition May 6, 1986 ARITHMETIC(6)