Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE How to filter SYSLOG data to collect meaningful information only? Post 302941153 by rbatte1 on Monday 13th of April 2015 12:28:27 PM
Old 04-13-2015
I would go for collecting everything and then extracting what you actually need when you need it. It leaves masses of records never read, but there is no way to say to the server, "Hey, just go back in time, replay a process that I don't know quite when it happened and show me the logging now."

We have load and load & LOADS of output that is never looked at unless there is a problem and we rotate the logs out and away at sensible intervals to keep on top of it. if we don't need most of it in a week (production batch messages) then they are sent to tape and never seen again.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Planning for DR, I have to collect information

Dear All, We are going for Disaster Recovery project, the vendor asked for more details about how much is the daily data changes only. using sar / iostat can any one help me to collect this ?! Note: only I need the changed data size not the daily increasing data. this is to know how much... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adel8483
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ccall database and collect data from one table

I want to connect to one database and collect data from any table using shell script. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

collect data from another file

Hi Friends , I am urgently needed your help. could you pleas help me in creating the shell script. Requirement : collect the data from no_file.txt no_file.txt ============ 1 11 265 290 300 313 326 351 Then create another shele script like my_shell.csh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikas_jena
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collect information from switches

Hi All , In my environment we have 12 SAN switches .Culd u pls help me for below queries . would like to telnet to all switches and collect information in daily basis with "switchstatus" command and store the output under /tmp/ folder on systemA . To keep passwords of 12switches in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinni-script
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to collect all db information

hi all I am looking for shell script ,by which i need to gather all the DB information in Sybase server . Thanks in advance :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvsramarao
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep PID and collect data ?

I have a file current.csv file 2011/05/06 11:12:20 | 16:guest pid=014782 opened Boards 0, 1, 2, 3 2011/05/06 12:23:13 | 16:guest pid=014782 closed 2011/05/06 12:26:05 | 17:guest pid=022383 opened Boards 0, 1, 2, 3 2011/05/06 20:09:04 | 17:guest pid=022383 closed 2011/05/06... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
5 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

collect data from files

there are 200 files named file1_0.pdb,file1_60.pdb etc....it looks like: ATOM 1 N VAL 1 8.897 -21.545 -7.276 1.00 0.00 ATOM 2 H1 VAL 1 9.692 -22.015 -6.868 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 H2 VAL 1 9.228 -20.766 -7.827 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 H3 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanikasharma
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to collect information from current and remote unix boxes

I am using AIX 5.3.0.0 ; I need a script to find out each remote AIX boxes Hostname, Model name and Serial number in following format Hostname Modelname SerialID AIXMC01 IBM,7026-B80 IBM,0110BBA1F AIXMC02 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBA56 AIXMC03 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBARR... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use PYTHON to collect data weather and print in new file

Hi all, i have a task to do with Python and because i'm a beginner on it i would like your help on this. Create a python script that: Every hour collect the Temperature (e.g. 29C) and Current Condition (e.g. Clear) from this website wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html Create a CSV... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragaga123
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collect last 2 days data from /var/log/messages

I need to collect last 2 days data from /var/log/messages into a separate file (file format: flmessagetimedaymonth). I have collect today's month, date, time information in separate variable. Please help me in this issue (Probably need awk and grep function). month=$(date|awk '{print $2}')... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
4 Replies
NIP2(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   NIP2(1)

NAME
nip2 - image processing with the VIPS library SYNOPSIS
nip2 [filename1 ...] nip2 -s filename [arg1 ...] nip2 -e expression [arg1 ...] DESCRIPTION
nip2 (for New Image Processing) is a tool for manipulating images using the VIPS image processing library. There are three principal modes: nip2 [filename1 ...] start in GUI mode, loading the named files nip2 -e expression [arg1 ...] nip2 --expression=EXPRESSION [arg1 ...] start in no-GUI mode; set main = expression, set list argv to ["filename", "arg1", "arg2", ...], set argc to length of list; print the value of symbol "main" to stdout; exit nip2 -s filename [arg1 ...] nip2 --script=FILENAME [arg1 ...] start in no-GUI mode; read in filename as a set of definitions, set list argv to ["filename", "arg1", "arg2", ...], set argc to length of list; print the value of symbol "main" to stdout; exit; useful for running nip2 as an interpreter on unix You can use -o to direct output to a file rather than stdout. -o filename --output=FILENAME the value of main is written to the named file. If main is a list, the filename is incremented between objects. You can use the suffix to specify the format and options to write in Other options provide finer control over startup and shutdown. If you need to do something strange, don't use -e/-s, use these in combina- tion. -b --batch batch (ie. non-GUI) mode -m --no-load-menus don't load menus, for faster startup -a --no-load-args don't load extra command-line arguments -w --stdin-ws load stdin as a workspace -d --stdin-def load stdin as a set of definitions -p --print-main print the value of main on exit. nip2 will check for a top-level symbol called main, and also check each workspace for a main Finally some other options are useful for debugging, timing and for generating strings for internationalisation. -V --verbose produce verbose error messages: handy for debugging in batch mode -i --i18n output strings from .def files for internationalisation -v --version print version information -c --benchmark benchmark: no GUI, just start up and shut down -t --time-save time saves: after every image save a popup tells you the time the save took in seconds -T --test test: start up (including any arg processing), test for any errors, and exit with an error code if any occured. Useful for running automated tests. -x PREFIX --prefix=PREFIX set install prefix: start up as if nip2 had been installed to PREFIX. Useful for running automated tests without installing the thing. EXAMPLES
nip2 fred.jpg Start nip2, loading fred.jpg. nip2 -e "2 + 2" Prints 4 to stdout. nip2 -e "99 + Image_file argv?1" -o result.png fred.jpg Load argv1 (fred.jpg), add 99, output to result.png. nip2 -e "Matrix [[1,2],[4,5]] ** -1" -o poop.mat Invert the 2x2 matrix and write the result to poop.mat. COPYRIGHT
2008 (c) Imperial College, London Oct 4 2004 NIP2(1)