Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE How to filter SYSLOG data to collect meaningful information only? Post 302941153 by rbatte1 on Monday 13th of April 2015 12:28:27 PM
Old 04-13-2015
I would go for collecting everything and then extracting what you actually need when you need it. It leaves masses of records never read, but there is no way to say to the server, "Hey, just go back in time, replay a process that I don't know quite when it happened and show me the logging now."

We have load and load & LOADS of output that is never looked at unless there is a problem and we rotate the logs out and away at sensible intervals to keep on top of it. if we don't need most of it in a week (production batch messages) then they are sent to tape and never seen again.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Planning for DR, I have to collect information

Dear All, We are going for Disaster Recovery project, the vendor asked for more details about how much is the daily data changes only. using sar / iostat can any one help me to collect this ?! Note: only I need the changed data size not the daily increasing data. this is to know how much... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adel8483
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ccall database and collect data from one table

I want to connect to one database and collect data from any table using shell script. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

collect data from another file

Hi Friends , I am urgently needed your help. could you pleas help me in creating the shell script. Requirement : collect the data from no_file.txt no_file.txt ============ 1 11 265 290 300 313 326 351 Then create another shele script like my_shell.csh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikas_jena
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collect information from switches

Hi All , In my environment we have 12 SAN switches .Culd u pls help me for below queries . would like to telnet to all switches and collect information in daily basis with "switchstatus" command and store the output under /tmp/ folder on systemA . To keep passwords of 12switches in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinni-script
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to collect all db information

hi all I am looking for shell script ,by which i need to gather all the DB information in Sybase server . Thanks in advance :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvsramarao
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep PID and collect data ?

I have a file current.csv file 2011/05/06 11:12:20 | 16:guest pid=014782 opened Boards 0, 1, 2, 3 2011/05/06 12:23:13 | 16:guest pid=014782 closed 2011/05/06 12:26:05 | 17:guest pid=022383 opened Boards 0, 1, 2, 3 2011/05/06 20:09:04 | 17:guest pid=022383 closed 2011/05/06... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
5 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

collect data from files

there are 200 files named file1_0.pdb,file1_60.pdb etc....it looks like: ATOM 1 N VAL 1 8.897 -21.545 -7.276 1.00 0.00 ATOM 2 H1 VAL 1 9.692 -22.015 -6.868 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 H2 VAL 1 9.228 -20.766 -7.827 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 H3 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanikasharma
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to collect information from current and remote unix boxes

I am using AIX 5.3.0.0 ; I need a script to find out each remote AIX boxes Hostname, Model name and Serial number in following format Hostname Modelname SerialID AIXMC01 IBM,7026-B80 IBM,0110BBA1F AIXMC02 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBA56 AIXMC03 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBARR... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use PYTHON to collect data weather and print in new file

Hi all, i have a task to do with Python and because i'm a beginner on it i would like your help on this. Create a python script that: Every hour collect the Temperature (e.g. 29C) and Current Condition (e.g. Clear) from this website wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html Create a CSV... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragaga123
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collect last 2 days data from /var/log/messages

I need to collect last 2 days data from /var/log/messages into a separate file (file format: flmessagetimedaymonth). I have collect today's month, date, time information in separate variable. Please help me in this issue (Probably need awk and grep function). month=$(date|awk '{print $2}')... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
4 Replies
backup(1M)																backup(1M)

NAME
backup - backup or archive file system SYNOPSIS
[-archive] DESCRIPTION
The command uses find(1) and cpio(1) to save a archive of all files that have been modified since the modification time of on the default tape drive should be invoked periodically to ensure adequate file backup. The option suppresses warning messages regarding optional access control list entries. backup(1M) does not backup optional access control list entries in a file's access control list (see acl(5)). Normally, a warning message is printed for each file having optional access control list entries. The option causes backup to save all files, regardless of their modification date, and then update using touch(1). prompts you to mount a new tape and continue if there is no more room on the current tape. Note that this prompting does not occur if you are running from cron(1M). The option causes to start a file system consistency check (without correction) after the backup is complete. For correct results, it is important that the system be effectively single-user while is running, especially if is allowed to automatically fix whatever inconsisten- cies it finds. does not ensure that the system is single-user. You can edit to customize it for your system. Several local values are used that can be customized: specifies which directories to back up recursively (usually meaning all directories); file name where start and finish times, block counts, and error messages are logged; file name whose date is the date of the last archive; file name that is checked by to remind the next person who logs in to change the backup tape; file name where start and finish times and output is logged. You may want to make other changes, such as whether or not does automatic correction (according to its arguments), where output is directed, other information logging, etc. In all cases, the output from is a normal archive file (or volume) which can be read using with the option. File Recovery creates archive tapes with all files and directories specified relative to the root directory. When recovering files from an archive tape created by you should be in the root directory and specify the directory path names for recovered files relative to the root directory When specifying the directory path name for file recovery by do not precede the leading directory name with a slash. If you prefer, you can also use with a option to determine how files and directories are named on the archive tape before attempting recovery. WARNINGS
Refer to in cpio(1). When runs out of tape, it sends an error to standard error and demands a new special file name from To continue, rewind the tape, mount the new tape, type the name of the new special file at the system console, and press If is being run unattended from cron(1M) and the tape runs out, terminates, leaving the process still waiting. Kill this process when you return. FILES
parameterized file names SEE ALSO
cpio(1), find(1), touch(1), cron(1M), fbackup(1M), frecover(1M), fsck(1M), acl(5). backup(1M)