Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create Sym Links for a series of files Post 302941141 by MadeInGermany on Monday 13th of April 2015 11:46:27 AM
Old 04-13-2015
$x is the target, where the link points to.
The target should exist. The link is implicitly generated by the ln; you must explicitly generate it for a test.
Code:
if [ -f "$x" ] && [ ! -f `basename "$x"` ]
then

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and sym links

Would I be correct in assuming that find doesn't bother recursivley searching down sim links. (It doesn't seem to so I guess it doesn't!!!) Is there anyway to make it do so? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I organize a series of files in date order?

I'd like to ls a group of files in date order but I'm not sure what the commands would be. Can anyone help with this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedgehog001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync with --link-dest doesn't create hard links

I have been experimenting with rsync as a scriptable backup option, reading various example and tips pages, including Time Machine for every Unix out there - IMHO That page seems to describe the exact behavior I want: The ability to make a "full backup" snapshot regularly, but with rsync... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
0 Replies

4. AIX

How to create a sym link pointing a changing name.

Hello A new file is created every day with the date appended to the end of a name. We are using Autosys to run jobs which watches for the file and runs jobs. But Autosys does not have the capability to figure out the current date. I tried creating a symlink like this ln -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vra5107
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I create symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously

Does anybody know how to make symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously? Often times I need make symbolic links for multiple files with some common pattern (just like "*.jpg"). Is there a way to avoid making symbolic link for each of them one by one... Thank you! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Create sym-link into /dev (zone)

Hi i need to install a software into a zone, and this kind of software needs to have a file who is linked into /dev. But it is not possible to create a link into /dev nor create a file into it. -bash-3.00# ln -s /tmp/testfile /dev/ ln: cannot create /dev//testfile: Permission denied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create tar file excluding all hard links

I have a problem with tar. Taring a folder with a lot of contents, causes the tar to contain hard links to some files, seen with the same name but 0 in size. The hard links don't exist in the first place. How can I prevent that from happening? I am using the -T option with either -n or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script over a series of files

Hi, I want to run a script over a series of files with the names : Sample_1.sorted.bam Sample_2.sorted.bam Sample_3.sorted.bam How can I specify it in my script. Thanks a lot in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find cmd and sym links

Hi. Can somebody tell me if there's a way of creating a symbolic link from a directory on one filesystem to that on another that will allow a find command that doesn't use the -L param to locate a particular file under that new 'linked' dir. With a normal sym link the find command on that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
6 Replies
create link(1m) 														   create link(1m)

NAME
create link - Creates a soft link and optionally specifies an expiration time and an extension time SYNOPSIS
cdscp create link link-name CDS_LinkTarget = target-name [CDS_LinkTimeout = (expiration-time extension-time)] ARGUMENTS
The full name of the soft link. The full name of the entry to which the soft link points. A date and time after which CDS checks for existence of the soft link's target and either extends or deletes the soft link. The value is specified as yyyy-mm-dd-hh:mm:ss (year- month-day-hour:minute:second). You can abbreviate this value. A period of time by which to extend the soft link's expiration time (if the server has validated that the target still exists). The value is specified as ddd-hh:mm:ss (days-hour:minute:second). You can abbreviate ths value. DESCRIPTION
The create link command creates a soft link. If you specify the CDS_LinkTimeout attribute, you must specify an expiration time and an extension time. If you omit the CDS_LinkTimeout attribute, the soft link is permanent and must be explicitly deleted. Privilege Required You must have insert permission to the directory in which you intend to create the soft link. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command creates a permanent soft link named /.:/sales/tokyo/price-server that points to an object entry named /.:/sales/east/price-server. The expiration value indicates that CDS will check that the destination name /.:/sales/east/price-server still exists on June 25,1995, at 12:00 p.m. If the destination name still exists, the soft link remains in effect another 90 days. There- after, CDS will check that the destination name exists every 90 days. cdscp> create link /.:/sales/tokyo/price-server CDS_LinkTarget > = /.:/sales/east/price-server CDS_LinkTimeout =(1995-06-25-12:00:00 > = 90-00:00:00) RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: delete link(1m), list link(1m), set link(1m), show link(1m) create link(1m)