Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create Sym Links for a series of files Post 302941134 by RudiC on Monday 13th of April 2015 09:57:37 AM
Old 04-13-2015
ln -s needs two parameters (man ln):
Quote:
ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME (1st form)
And, you don't need the command substitution in the for statement: for x in /myRandomDir/myFiles.* should suffice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and sym links

Would I be correct in assuming that find doesn't bother recursivley searching down sim links. (It doesn't seem to so I guess it doesn't!!!) Is there anyway to make it do so? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I organize a series of files in date order?

I'd like to ls a group of files in date order but I'm not sure what the commands would be. Can anyone help with this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedgehog001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync with --link-dest doesn't create hard links

I have been experimenting with rsync as a scriptable backup option, reading various example and tips pages, including Time Machine for every Unix out there - IMHO That page seems to describe the exact behavior I want: The ability to make a "full backup" snapshot regularly, but with rsync... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
0 Replies

4. AIX

How to create a sym link pointing a changing name.

Hello A new file is created every day with the date appended to the end of a name. We are using Autosys to run jobs which watches for the file and runs jobs. But Autosys does not have the capability to figure out the current date. I tried creating a symlink like this ln -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vra5107
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I create symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously

Does anybody know how to make symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously? Often times I need make symbolic links for multiple files with some common pattern (just like "*.jpg"). Is there a way to avoid making symbolic link for each of them one by one... Thank you! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Create sym-link into /dev (zone)

Hi i need to install a software into a zone, and this kind of software needs to have a file who is linked into /dev. But it is not possible to create a link into /dev nor create a file into it. -bash-3.00# ln -s /tmp/testfile /dev/ ln: cannot create /dev//testfile: Permission denied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create tar file excluding all hard links

I have a problem with tar. Taring a folder with a lot of contents, causes the tar to contain hard links to some files, seen with the same name but 0 in size. The hard links don't exist in the first place. How can I prevent that from happening? I am using the -T option with either -n or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script over a series of files

Hi, I want to run a script over a series of files with the names : Sample_1.sorted.bam Sample_2.sorted.bam Sample_3.sorted.bam How can I specify it in my script. Thanks a lot in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find cmd and sym links

Hi. Can somebody tell me if there's a way of creating a symbolic link from a directory on one filesystem to that on another that will allow a find command that doesn't use the -L param to locate a particular file under that new 'linked' dir. With a normal sym link the find command on that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
6 Replies
LN(1)								   User Commands							     LN(1)

NAME
ln - make links between files SYNOPSIS
ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME (1st form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET (2nd form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY (3rd form) ln [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY TARGET... (4th form) DESCRIPTION
In the 1st form, create a link to TARGET with the name LINK_NAME. In the 2nd form, create a link to TARGET in the current directory. In the 3rd and 4th forms, create links to each TARGET in DIRECTORY. Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic. By default, each destination (name of new link) should not already exist. When creating hard links, each TARGET must exist. Symbolic links can hold arbitrary text; if later resolved, a relative link is interpreted in relation to its parent directory. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument -d, -F, --directory allow the superuser to attempt to hard link directories (note: will probably fail due to system restrictions, even for the supe- ruser) -f, --force remove existing destination files -i, --interactive prompt whether to remove destinations -L, --logical dereference TARGETs that are symbolic links -n, --no-dereference treat LINK_NAME as a normal file if it is a symbolic link to a directory -P, --physical make hard links directly to symbolic links -r, --relative create symbolic links relative to link location -s, --symbolic make symbolic links instead of hard links -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix -t, --target-directory=DIRECTORY specify the DIRECTORY in which to create the links -T, --no-target-directory treat LINK_NAME as a normal file always -v, --verbose print name of each linked file --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The backup suffix is '~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups Using -s ignores -L and -P. Otherwise, the last option specified controls behavior when a TARGET is a symbolic link, defaulting to -P. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report ln translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
link(2), symlink(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/ln> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) ln invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 LN(1)