Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiplying lines of file that contain certain letter by value Post 302940494 by newbie2010 on Monday 6th of April 2015 01:16:43 PM
Old 04-06-2015
Multiplying lines of file that contain certain letter by value

I am trying to remove the last letter in a file and then multiply each line (which contained this letter) by 500. This is what I have:

Code:
1499998A
1222222A
1325804A

Code:
cat /tmp/listzz |gawk '{print $4}'|gawk  '{gsub(/[A]/, ""); print }

This removes the A but then I can not multiply the lines that had the A with 500.

I was able to pass the file through a variable - var

Code:
if [[ "$var" =~ A ]]; then echo "found it";else echo "no";fi

and it will find the A, but I am not sure how to multiply the lines that had the A by 500. I don't want any of the other lines multiplied.

Does someone have a suggestion?

This is what I need:
1. find lines with A and delete the A - which is always at the end of file
2. then multiply those lines only by 500
3. The rest of the lines that don't contain the A should not be multiplied.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-06-2015 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Additional code tags for data sample

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read each letter from file and store it in variable.

Dear friends, i am writing csh script i have one dat file containing following data.like this. 08FD3 03A26 000FA0 FFFF0 BBA0F 00000 00000 from the above file i want to read each letter and store it in one variable. how it is possible. please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i need 100th occurance of a letter in file

Hi to all, I am looking a file in vi editor to get 100th occurance of a latter in that file. Can any one help me in this? Thanks Sathish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsathishmca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that starts with a certain letter

How can I delete those lines that starts with a certain letter? abc def ghi xyz abc def ace gik moq abe imq gxm I want to delete the line that starts with "x". Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort lines in different files based on the starting letter

Hi ,, i have the below file... D 2342135 B 214236 C argjlksd V lskjrghaklsr C slkrgj B sdg4tsd E aslkgjlkasg i want to sort the lines into different files based on the starting letter of the line. so that i have different files for lines starting with a letter. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jathin12
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display File with a specific letter

Hi im a noob in Unix Do you guys know what command display you the files that have the character n in there name im not looking that they have the n in the beginning or in the end im looking that in search the entire string to see if it have the character n i try this ls n* but only show... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaziduz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

save only the first letter from lines

the title is self explanatory I assume awk and sed existence to do the job but i'm really not good in pattern space comprehension to make it so I wanna pick the first letter of each line in a file, what's the way ? Thanks a lot (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oddant
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get all File names starting with letter P

Hi, I have lets say 10 files , I need to process them one by one. So I need a command to get one file name at a time to process it into a variable Example Files P1111.dat P3344.dat S344.dat ... v_file_name = 'p111.dat' .. I will rename it to something after processing ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prassu
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ homework, finding a letter from a file

Write a program which asks user to enter a string and that string saves in a .txt file. After the file has been saved your program must count how many time letter 'a' has been reapeated ? Use fstream, string, and cctype libraries to make your jobe easier. I wrote following code #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with multiplying two values of two columns in a file

Hi, I am trying to multiply column#1 with column#2 using a shell script. How can I make a for-loop script using 1st column as "i" and the second column as "j" from the following file? Please feel free to share any alternative ways to multiplying column#1 with column#2. .06 5.0000 .49 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies
TOWUPPER(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       TOWUPPER(3)

NAME
towupper, towupper_l -- lower case to upper case letter conversion (wide character version) LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> wint_t towupper(wint_t wc); #include <wctype.h> #include <xlocale.h> wint_t towupper_l(wint_t wc, locale_t loc); DESCRIPTION
The towupper() function converts a lower-case letter to the corresponding upper-case letter. Although the towupper() function uses the current locale, the towupper_l() function may be passed a locale directly. See xlocale(3) for more information. RETURN VALUES
If the argument is a lower-case letter, the towupper() function returns the corresponding upper-case letter if there is one; otherwise, the argument is returned unchanged. SEE ALSO
iswupper(3), toupper(3), towlower(3), wctrans(3), xlocale(3) STANDARDS
The towupper() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (``ISO C99''). BSD
October 3, 2002 BSD