Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Split files based on user input Post 302940461 by RudiC on Monday 6th of April 2015 06:05:13 AM
Old 04-06-2015
Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

This is far from clear to me. On top of what Don Cragun said,
- Where do you use $PxyType?
- Where do you read from $myfile?
- Your sed snippet will NOT consistently retrieve all and only proxytypes. It will (by accident) if supplied with your sample but fail on more general files.
- Nothing in your sample will match what you call the xml path.
- What be the directory structure for your individual files?
- foreach is not a bash construct.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split files based on size

I have a few txt files in some directory and I need to check their sizes one by one. If any of them are greater than 5mb then I need to split the file in two. Can someone help? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: khanvader
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to split files based on number of lines

I am getting a few gzip files into a folder by doing ftp to another server. Once I get them I move them to another location .But before that I need to make sure each gzip is not more than 5000 lines and split it up . The files I get are anywhere from 500 lines to 10000 lines in them and is in gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on the input pattern

I have a file with lines something like. ...... 123_start ...... ....... 123_end .... ..... 456_start ...... ..... 456_end .... ..... 789_start .... .... 789_end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinash
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append file based upon user input-- solved

Ok, I have a script with a commandline option that allows the user to add a custom function to the script file. I have tried everything in my limited knowledge of sed to get this to work and keep coming up short. I need sed to search for a line starting with a pattern, I've got that part so far,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search on date range of file based on user input

Hello I would like to ask for help with a script to search a directory that contains many log files and based on a users input after being prompted, they enter a date range down to the hour which searches the files that contain that range. I dont know how to go about this. I am hoping that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split: File into multiple and keeping the same 3 lines from input into all output files

The following code will split the infile into multiple files. However, I need it to insert the same first 3 lines from the original input file into each splitted file. How do I modify my script below to do so: print -n "Enter file name to split? " ; read infile if then echo "Invalid file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a non delimited file into columns depending on user input

I would like some advice on some code. I want to write a small script that will take an input file of this format 111222233334444555666661112222AAAA 2222333445556612323244455445454545 2334556345643534505435345353453453 (and so on) It will be called as : script inputfile X (where X is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyforbopi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to search based on 5 user input fields

Field1=”” Field2=”” Field3=”” Field4=”” Field5=”” USER INPUT UP TO 5 FIELDS awk -F , '{ if ( $3 == Field1 && $6 == Field2 && $8 == Field3 && $9 == Field4 && $10 == Field5) print $0 }' /tmp/rodney.outD INPUT FILE (Rodney.outD): ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmerrird
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automaticaly create function based off user input

I am trying to create a bash script that will create new function by using the user input. The below will create the necessary files in the correct format, however when it comes to the # create function I am at a loss. If the name entered was NEWNAME and the genes were GENE1,GENE2 then two files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
RDSWAP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RDSWAP(1)

["NAME"]
       rdswap - a multi-language RD documents support tool

["SYNOPSIS"]
       rdswap [ -h | -v ] filename ...

["DESCRIPTION"]
       This tool is written to support you to write multi-language documents using the Ruby-Document-Format (RD).

The idea for such a tool was originated by Minero Aoki, how has thought about, how to make life easier for developers who have to write and
       maintain scripts in more than one language.

You have to specify at least two filenames on the command line. One containing the Ruby script, the second containing a translated  RD.	If
       the  script  does  not  end  with `.rb', it has to be the first filename mentioned on the command line! In opposition, all files containing
       translations must not ending with `.rb'! They should use a extension that describes the language. So that would give us the following  pic-
       ture:

o sample.rb : Script contains the original documentation.

o sample.jp : Documentation written in Japanese.

o sample.de : Translation to German.

The  tool doesn't care about the language extensions. You can name them as you like! So the file containing the Japanese translation above,
       could also be names e.g. `sample.japan' or even `japantranslation.japan'.

For every translation file, a new file will be created. The name is build from the script filename plus the language extension. So  regard-
       ing the example above, following files would be created:

o sample.rb.jp

o sample.rb.de

or, given the alternative translation filename as mentioned above...

o sample.rb.japan

["How does it work?"]
       The  contents  of all files will be split into source and RD blocks. The source of the translation files, will be discarded! Every RD block
       may be of a certain type. The type will be taken from the contents directly following the `=begin' on the same line. If	there  is  only  a
       lonely `=begin' on a line by itself, the type of the block is `nil'. That means in
	   # File sample.rd
	   :
	   =begin
	    bla bla
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin whatever or not
	    blub blub
	   =end
	   :

the first block would be of type `nil' and the second one of type `whatever or not'.

Block  types  are  important for the translation. If a source will be generated from a script and a translation file, only these blocks are
       taken from the translation files, that comes in the right sequence and contains the same type as the block in the script! For example:
	   # File sample.rb
	   :
	   =begin gnark
	    Some comment
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    block 2
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    block 3
	   =end
	   :

# File sample.de
	   :
	   =begin
	    Block zwei
	   =end
	   :
	   =begin
	    Block drei
	   =end
	   :

Here, the first block of `sample.rb' will *not* be translated, as there is no translation block with that type in sample.de! So	the  first
       block  would  be  inserted as-it-is into the translated script. The blocks afterwards, however, are translated as the block type does match
       (it is `nil' there).

Attention: In a translation file, a second block will only be used, if a first one was already used (matched). A third block will  only	be
       used, if a second one was used already!

That  means,  if the first block of `sample.de' would be of type e.g. `Never match', then no block would ever be taken to replace anyone of
       `sample.rb'.

["OPTIONS"]
       ["-h"]
	      shows this help text.

["-v"]
	      shows some more text during processing.

["filename"]
	      means a file, that contains RD and/or Ruby code.

["EXAMPLES"]
	   rdswap -v sample.rb sample.ja sample.de
	   rdswap -v sample.ja sample.rb sample.de
	   rdswap -v sample.ja sample.de sample.rb
	   rdswap -v sample.??

["AUTHORS"]
       Clemens Hintze <c.hintze@gmx.net>.

June 2012								 RDSWAP(1)