Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited Post 302940440 by Don Cragun on Sunday 5th of April 2015 05:55:59 PM
Old 04-05-2015
Copying a text file that is not in the proprietary Microsoft binary format expected by excel when it reads a file with the .xls extension obviously does not work (as you have already found).

Did you try what I suggested in post #2 in this thread?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert a pipe delimited file to a':" delimited file

i have a file whose data is like this:: osr_pe_assign|-120|wg000d@att.com|4| osr_evt|-21|wg000d@att.com|4| pe_avail|-21|wg000d@att.com|4| osr_svt|-11|wg000d@att.com|4| pe_mop|-13|wg000d@att.com|4| instar_ready|-35|wg000d@att.com|4| nsdnet_ready|-90|wg000d@att.com|4|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a text file into tab delimited format?

I have a text file that made using text editor in Ubuntu. However the text file is not being recognized as space or tab delimited, the formatting seems to be messed up. How can I convert the text file into tab delimited format? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert a space delimited file into a pipe delimited file using shellscript?

Hi All, I have space delimited file similar to the one as shown below.. I need to convert it as a pipe delimited, the values inside the pipe delimited file should be as highlighted... AA ATIU2345098809 009697 005374 BB ATIU2345097809 005445 006518 CC ATIU9685098809 003215 003571 DD... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make tab delimited file to space delimited?

Hi How to make tab delimited file to space delimited? in put file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl o/p file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a 3 column tab delimited file to a matrix

Hi all, I have a 3 columns input file like this: CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-4943 1 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID123 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID126 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-5763 0.5 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID13 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-6163 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-6164 0.04... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Excel File (xls) to tab delimited text file on AIX

Hi i have a problem in my job i try to convert an excel file (xls extention) to text file (tab delimited), but no result with this comand cat xxx.xls > xxx.txt Do you have eny idea? PS: sorry for my english Thanks!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frisso
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert pipe demilited file to vertical tab delimited

Hi All, How can we convert pipe delimited ( or comma ) file to vertical tab (VT) delimited. Regards PK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
4 Replies
ooconvert(1)							   User Commands						      ooconvert(1)

Name
       ooconvert - Commandline Document Converter Using OpenOffice.org

SYNOPSIS
ooconvert [--help] [--force] input output DESCRIPTION
This tool converts documents between various formats on the commandline. It uses OpenOffice.org that guarantees the quality of available import and export filters. This tool tries to start OpenOffice.org in the server mode on backgroud. It does not work if the OpenOffice.org application has already been running. Also it slows down the conversion a lot. We hope to reduce these limitations in the further versions. OPTIONS
input Input file. The filename suffix must be one of the currently supported file formats, see below. output Output file. The filename suffix defines the output file format. It must be one from the table below. An existing file can be over- written by the --force option. --help Print help and exit. --force Force an already existing output file to be replaced. SUPPORTED FILE FORMATS
The current version of this tool does not read the list of available input and output filters directly from OpenOffice.org. The list of supported file formats is hardcoded and thus limited to: doc Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP docx MS Word 2007 XML dot Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP Template dotx MS Word 2007 XML Template html HyperText Markup Language (Web Page) odt ODF Text Document ods ODF Spreadsheet odp ODF Presentation ott ODF Text Document Template ots ODF Spreadsheet Template otp ODF Presentation Template pdf Portable Document Format ppt Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP pptx Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 XML pot Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP Template potx Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 XML Template rtf Rich Text Format stc OpenOffice.org 1.0 Spreadsheet Template sti OpenOffice.org 1.0 Presentation Template stw OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document Template sxc OpenOffice.org 1.0 Spreadsheet sxi OpenOffice.org 1.0 Presentation sxw OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document swf Macromedia Flash txt Plain Text xls Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP xlsx Microsoft Excel 2007 XML xlt Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP Template xltx Microsoft Excel 2007 XML Template TROUBLESHOOTING PROBLEMS
See http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:OOo for more details about how to report bugs in OpenOffice.org. AUTHOR
This manual page was created by Petr Mladek <petr.mladek@novell.com>. OpenOffice.org Converter 2009-02-09 ooconvert(1)