Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Hardlink on wheezy by default for usb-stick? Post 302940150 by 1in10 on Wednesday 1st of April 2015 04:00:44 PM
Old 04-01-2015
This is what it is may be about, there is a directory on the mentioned rescue-kit. My full path to it (using the laptop) on the usb-drive is

Code:
/media/usb0/save

going down to
Code:
/usr/share/bug/grub-efi-amd64

that contains two files
named presubj as a simple textfile and
the funny named sript, a shell-sript. To be written down I pasted the code.
Code:
echo >&3
echo "*********************** BEGIN /proc/mdstat" >&3
cat /proc/mdstat >&3 2>&1 || true
echo "*********************** END /proc/mdstat" >&3

cat <<EOF
Information on any LVM volumes on this system is valuable to the GRUB
developers, but gathering this information requires the root password.
EOF
yesno "Do you want to provide LVM volume information?" nop
if [ "$REPLY" = yep ]; then
  echo >&3
  echo "*********************** BEGIN LVM" >&3
  su root -c "vgdisplay; pvdisplay; lvdisplay" >&3
  echo "*********************** END LVM" >&3
fi

echo >&3
echo "*********************** BEGIN /dev/disk/by-id" >&3
ls -l /dev/disk/by-id >&3 2>&1 || true
echo "*********************** END /dev/disk/by-id" >&3

echo >&3
echo "*********************** BEGIN /dev/disk/by-uuid" >&3
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid >&3 2>&1 || true
echo "*********************** END /dev/disk/by-uuid" >&3

exit 0

From stackoverflow.com
there is another hint
How can a Bootloader written in x86 Assembly be written to a USB Flash drive and support both BIOS and UEFI? - Stack Overflow

"Removable media does not need to be GPT formatted in order for UEFI to boot from it. You need to create efi/boot folder on a FAT partition on a removable medium and place your UEFI bootloader there. File name must be bootx64.efi for X86-64 architecture. Booting in Legacy or BIOS mode will be handled without changes - via MBR. In pure UEFI boot mode it will read /efi/boot/bootx64.efi file.
Please note also, that FAT partition should be addressed by the first MBR partition entry and be active."

So right now I guessing what file to put down in this bootable directory?
The cited shell-script up above to rename it, file size is 1.7 kb or a file named
"boot.catalog" with a flie size of 2 kb but this is an unknown file (application/octet-stream)?
Any hints?

BTW coming back to the very outset ot this thread, there must be a hard link set by wheezy or system.d, because any usb-stick that once has been in touch whith wheezy only works properly on squeeze, when I type as root in the terminal

Code:
/umount/usb0

otherwise I am forced to work
a bit more complicated to copy files, just like
Code:
 stat %A filname

and afterwards
Code:
cp filename /media/foo

I am aware there is jessie burning up the charts.

Last edited by 1in10; 04-01-2015 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: to the top of the thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Booting Linux from an USB stick

I got Puppy linux and installed it on a usb stick. In the BIOS i selected to boot from USB-FDD but it goes to my HD and ignores the USB stick, What going on ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

2. Linux

bootable USB Stick || Fedora 8

Hello Everybody I am planning to install Fedora core 8 on an extra PC I have; what I wanna do is to boot from a USB stick then install Fedora from an ISO image I already have via FTP. Could any one tell me how to create bootable USB Stick for Fedora as I already found how to install from FTP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_nasr2001
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aix usb stick

I have a P-Series Machine running AIX 5.3, it has a USB Port on the front of the server, can I use a USB Stick on AIX platforms?? if so how..:rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BEVAN
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mount USB stick...

Dummies questions, perfect for this. I cannot mount my idiotic usb stick on Slackware, I input the following on non-graphic mode as root: Mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1/usbstick usbstick is the folder i created for mounting my USB, the file system is FAT, and everytime I input that I get some kind... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dax01
2 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting a USB stick in FreeBSD

When mounting a USB stick or pen drive on a FreeBSD machine I always issue the following command: mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt Something I have always wondered is what the option msdosfs stands for and more importantly, why it is necessary. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 usb stick -> 2 mounted devices

Hello, i am using a solaris thinclient that tries to connecting to a terminalserver. (RDP) Everything works fine, but the usb redirection. If i put in a usb stick i always get 2 usb-drives mounted. If i look in /tmp/SUNWut/mnt/<name of the host> i see 2 devices. One with the name of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anarcy
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Ubuntu on USB stick?

Hey Guys I have an Ubuntu CD and I was thinking of creating like a bootable hard drive with various OS so that I can just boot OSs with t drive and not require the CDs. I was just wondering is there a way I can do this, like have Ubuntu boot from a USB stick? If yes how is that possible(even if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
3 Replies

8. SCO

Mount USB stick

hi Howto mount an USB stick under SCO 5.0.7? BTW ist it possible to mount USB stick in the command line using 'tools' at the Boot: prompt from OpenServer Release 5.0.7 installation CD? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

9. SCO

How to use USB Stick in UNIXware?

I am trying to use a USB (Pen?) drive on Unixware 7.1.4. The USB stick is in the machine and the machine recognises it when I enter usbprobe as follows: Path - Address Description ----------------------------- +++++++ BUS #2 0 - 1 - HUB "UHCI Root Hub" 1 - 2 - HID "Chicony Wireless Device"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BernP
1 Replies

10. BSD

Bootable usb-stick, need help, sos

I would probably set all my rubber points here to get some real help for creating a boot device on a usb-stick. There is no CD-drive on this machine, thats why I need to use a usb-stick. And scrumming in a CD-drive to fuddle around in the fstab or something like that is out of reach. My wisdom so... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
9 Replies