Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Paste and double loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Paste and double loop Post 302940091 by Akshay Hegde on Wednesday 1st of April 2015 08:52:51 AM
Old 04-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-V
thanks a lot for your help, it worked nicely..
may I ask you to explain few things ?

why the dir1 structure is different from dir2 ?
Code:
dir1="/tmp/test1/*.txt"
dir2="/tmp/test2"

and what does this line do?
Code:
	file="$dir2/$filename"

I used files from dir1 as reference since you said same number of files with exactly same names, $i is file from dir1 and $file is file from dir2 to understand clearly, better you insert below line after file="$dir2/$filename"
Code:
echo "$i $file"

and filename=${i##*/} is parameter substitution is used instead of external basename program. Let me know if you still have confusion.
This User Gave Thanks to Akshay Hegde For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

aside from paste

how can i make a script or command to have output like this $cat file 10000 20000 $cat a 10000 $cat b 20000 this is the solution paste a b > file but another solution? $cat file 10000 20000 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VI paste out of alignment

We have a guy at work who is trying to copy and paste from one file to another using vi and highlighting the code to copy with a mouse. Source file: xyz 123 abc 999 zyx 321 cba 999 xyz 123 abc 999 But when he pastes it he gets (I put the underlines in to show... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
4 Replies

3. Programming

double pow (double x, double y) -- problems

This is the code and I'm wondering why line 14: a = ... and line 16: b = ... is wrong. This is the first time I've tried to use this. Please help me. #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> // The link and how the double pow is used. // // http://www.nextdawn.nl/c-reference/pow.php //... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pwanda
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

why double brackets for array loop?

Dear All, Recently got some sample from internet search for array handle in shell script, and I can not understand why we need to put double brackets when extracting array values by this way : for ((i=0; i<${#admins}; i++)); do echo "${admins}" done if modify from double to single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut and paste?

hi, I have a file with content like this for an employee: EmployeeID 101 Day_type, day vacation,1/2/2009 sick day, 3/2/2009 personal day, 4/5/2009 jury duty day, 5/5/2009 how do I make the result to show: EmployeeID,Day_type,day 101,vacation,1/2/2009 101,sick day,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbchen
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paste

paste -d "\0" ap_cntrl_total.txt.1 ap_cntrl_total.txt.2, and it shows: 01234567890911051342C091026 0000910517990000000000009105179900000000CHOPME it put space btwn 1026 and 000091 should not have space. ---------- Post updated at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:03 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files with sed in an until loop (double post)

I want to change the name of some of my files (mypics-0001, mypics-0002, mypics-0003.....mypics-0240) and I want to double check to see if this code is right: x=0 until do sed 's/mypics\-*/bday/g' done Would this change all of my file names to "bday0001....bday0240"? Please let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvpike
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a perl replacement for this double for loop

hi everybody, can you help me with this? important: it has to be a pure perl code. zz.lis: accessibility arabic archivers astro audio benchmarks . . . "ls accessibility | grep -v Makefile" outputs accerciser at-poke at-spi at-spi-reference (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, double variable, for loop and rsh

Hello folks, I've a (perhaps) simple question. In a text file I've : server_name1: directory1 server_name2: directory2 server_name3: directory3 I want to make a loop that lets me connect and operate on every server: rsh server_name1 "ls -l directory1" I've tried with awk,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

paste mutiple files in a loop

file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt desired output is each file is in the same directory, hasthe same number of columns but different rows. i want to be able to paste them into one file. thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
5 Replies
mv(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mv(1)

NAME
mv - Moves files and directories SYNOPSIS
mv [-i | -f] [--] file1 file2 mv [-i | -f] [--] file1... directory mv [-i | -f] [--] directory1... destination_directory The mv command moves files from one directory to another or renames files and directories. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: mv: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Overrides the -i option and any mode restrictions. (If both -f and -i are specified--for example, because an alias includes one of them--whichever appears last overrides the other.) Prompts you with the name of the file followed by a question mark whenever a move is to supersede an existing file. If the answer begins with y, or the locale's equivalent of a y, the move continues. Any other reply prevents the move from occurring. (If both -f and -i are specified--for example, because an alias includes one of them--whichever appears last over- rides the other.) Interprets all following arguments to mv as file names. This allows file names to start with a - (dash). DESCRIPTION
If you move a file to a new directory, mv retains the original file name. When you move a file, all other links to the file remain intact. In the second form, one or more files are moved to directory with their original file names. In the third form, one or more directories are moved to the destination directory with their original names. The mv command does not move a file onto itself. When you use mv to rename a file, the target file can be either a new file name or a new directory path name. If moving the file would overwrite an existing file that does not have write permission set and if standard input is a terminal, mv displays the permission code of the file to be overwritten and reads one line from standard input. If the line begins with y, or the locale's equivalent of a y, the move takes place and the file is overwritten. If not, mv does nothing with the file. When you use mv to move a directory into an existing directory, the directory and its contents are added under the existing directory. The LC_MESSAGES variable determines the locale's equivalent of y or n (for yes/no queries). If a mv operation fails, mv generally writes a diagnostic message to standard error, does nothing more with the current source file, and goes on to process any remaining source files. If the copying or removal of a file is prematurely terminated by a signal or error, mv might leave a partial copy of the file at either the source or the target path name. The mv program does not modify the source and target path names simultaneously; therefore, program termina- tion at any point always leaves either the source file or the target file complete. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] If the source is on a different file system than the destination, mv must copy the source to the destination's file system and then delete the source. The effect is equivalent to the following: rm -f destination && cp -pr source destination && rm -rf source The mv command might overwrite existing files. Specify the -i option last on the command line to cause the mv command to prompt you before it moves a file. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: All files were moved successfully. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To rename a file, enter: mv file1 file2 This renames file1 to file2. If a file named file2 already exists, its old contents are replaced with those of file1. To move a directory, enter: mv dir1 dir2 This moves dir1 to dir2. It moves dir1 and all files and directories under dir1 to the directory named dir2, if the second direc- tory exists. Otherwise, the directory dir1 gets renamed dir2. To move a file to another directory and give it a new name, enter: mv file1 dir1/file2 This moves file1 to dir1/file2. The name file1 is removed from the current directory, and the same file appears as file2 in the directory dir1. To move a file to another directory, keeping the same name, enter: mv file1 dir1 This moves file1 to dir1/file1. To move several files into another directory, enter: mv file1 dir1/file2 /u/dir2 This moves file1 to /u/dir2/file1 and dir1/file2 to /u/dir2/file2. To use mv with pattern-matching characters, enter: mv dir1/* . This moves all files in the directory dir1 into the current directory (.), giving them the same names they had in dir1. This also empties dir1. Note that you must type a space between the * (asterisk) and the (dot). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mv: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cp(1), ln(1), rm(1) Functions: rename(2) Standards: standards(5) mv(1)